Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss How long to get through Islands of Adventure? in the Vacation Planning forums; For our next trip, my family really wants to stop and see the new Harry Potter park in Islands of Adventure. We've never been before so I was wondering how ...
    Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

How long to get through Islands of Adventure?

For our next trip, my family really wants to stop and see the new Harry Potter park in Islands of Adventure. We've never been before so I was wondering how long it takes most people to get through the park? The main reason we'd be going would be to see the Harry attractions, and then stop at the rest of the park's most popular points, so its not like we need to take in absolutely everything they have there. I know that since Harry isn't open yet, nobody has the answer as to how long seeing that part will take, but as far as everything else goes, how long do you usually spend in IoA?
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Re: How long to get through Islands of Adventure?

You can easily see everything in IOA in one day just fine, and even have some time to visit USF next door. However, if you're only planning on staying at IOA, here are my tips and suggestions for you:

- If you are staying on site at one of Universal's Resorts, you can use your room key as an Express Pass and skip the lines (similar to Fast Pass) If you are not staying on-site, you can purchase an Express Pass Plus, but I only recommend this if the wait times seem to be too much for you to handle. You don't have to purchase them right at the front, there are several locations throughout the park where you can pick up these tickets.

- Head left towards Marvel and do Hulk (launched coaster) and Spiderman (can't miss dark ride) as those are pretty popular.

- Then head back through the Port of Entry and onward towards Seuss Landing and take a spin with Cat in the Hat before that line gets too long. It's a cute ride but I wouldn't wait over 20 minutes for it.

- One Fish Two Fish is a dumbo clone with a wet twist. There's a catchy song that plays as you ride, and if you listen to the song's instructions, you'll stay mostly dry.

- If you're into Dr. Seuss's works, take some time to stroll through and really check out the whole island. See if you can find those two stubborn Zax who are stuck in their tracks, see Sneetch Beach, or see if you can find where Horton's egg is. There's also a couple walk through sections such as If I ran the Zoo that has a couple interactive thingies to see, and the short walk through story about the Lorax. Keep in mind that all this sight seeing can be done at anytime during your day, so right now you're probably going to rush straight past all this stuff for Harry Potter before that gets too busy.

- If you'd like a birds eye view of the island, hop aboard the High In The Sky Trolley Ride where you have 2 different tracks each with 2 different narrations which gives you 4 different ride experiences.

- Before you leave Seuss Landing, stop by for some Moose Juice or Goose Juice to help cool you off in the hot Florida heat.

- The Lost Continent has now shrunk down to just Posideon's Fury (special effects show) and 8th Voyage of Sinbad (stunt show) Posideon's Fury could be skipped if there's a wait over 10 minutes or if the water vortex is still shut down (which it shouldn't be when Harry Potter opens up.) If you've never been through Posideon's Fury, then check it out, even if you're not really into special effects shows, you've gotta see the water vortex in action, it's just that cool. If you have already seen this attraction, keep walking. Sinbad is a great stunt show for the whole family, don't miss it!

- Right in front of the Sinbad show is the Mystic Fountain. Be sure to spend some time talking to it and watching others interact with the fountain. Guaranteed laughs!

- Onward to Harry Potter now! Make sure you'd stop by Olivander's Wand Shop and get the wand that chooses you, because you'll be able to use this wand throughout this section of the park (as well as select rooms at Universal's Resorts.)

- Head towards Hogwarts for Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey. This will definately have the longest wait time since it's brand new using technology never before used in a dark ride setting, the Kuka robotic arm. In this attraction you'll walk through several familiar scenes in Hogwarts such as Griffindor common room, Great Hall, Dumbledor's office, and that's just as you're waiting in line.

- Flight of the Hippogryph (yeah yeah, so I've probably butched these Potter names, bear with me!) was formerly the Flying Unicorn family coaster. Same coaster, new theming. Dragon Challege is Dueling Dragons but with Harry Potter theming now, same deal.

- Jurassic Park has some areas where you can go exploring and get some great picturesque views of the park and of the Discovery Center. Discovery Center has some cute hands on stuff for the kids and is worth a walk through just to see what's in there.

- Camp Jurassic is a kid's play area that is often overlooked by many. Ok, so it's got many climbing nets and slides, but adults would have fun walking through and exploring the area too. Don't forget to check out the echo cavern, amber mines, and whatever that other cavern with the geyser in it that nobody seems to know about, it's got a rope bridge over it which makes it fun to walk over. Will it go off with you standing over it while on the bridge?

- Jurassic Park also has the River Adventure ride, 85 foot tall drop at 60 degrees. Hold on tight!

- Toon Lagoon is full of sight gags all over the place. Have fun exploring this island and it's many jokes and photo ops. There's a couple paths near Me Ship the Olive in the Popeye area that leads you towards the central lagoon and you get to see other cute gags back there rarely seen such as Plymouth Rock and a school of fish.

- Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges (whitewater raft ride) is by far the best rapids ride ever, 3 times as long and drenching as Kali and a must do if you want to get wet.

- While you're already wet, head across the way to Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls (log flume) and finish your drenching. I hope you brought a change of clothes!

- Marvel Super Hero Island has some sight gags in the area, as well as some interactive props such as some telephones you can pick up and listen in to a super hero hotline or villain hotline.

- One thing to try to spot is the artist's signature in each of the huge 'character cut outs' all over the island. Good Luck!

- In the back corner tucked away behind Hulk is Storm Force Excellatron (teacups) which rarely has a line. It's a souped up version of the classic teacups with a rocking soundtrack and cool light show.

- Port of Entry is basically the same as Main Street, just good for running through to go straight to the rides in the beginning of the day, and the stroll back home while stopping at a giftshop or two. Just like Main Street, Port of Entry has lots of little great details that many pass up, so definately take some time to stop and smell the roses here and you'll be glad you did. You'll soon see that some of the characters in the area are actually escaped prisoners, you'll hear one guy's not so graceful attempt at the tango, and you'll see where the Fire Department used to be located, and soo much more. Also, don't forget to check out the cute sign in front of wheelchair rental where you could also rent other various modes of transportation, just don't be disappointed if the time machine is still stuck in the 6th century.

I think that's about it. Have fun!

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

When I went it was the end of August and there were zero lineups. It took one day to see the whole park, and we ended up coming back for another day because we had an unlimited for a week pass and I had a lot of fun there. But to see everything once was only a day.

However.... this was with NO lines, and this was pre-Harry Potter. I think you can anticipate that for the first while after it opens the park is going to be quite a bit busier and also the lineups in that part of the park are going to be very long. I read an article awhile back about how the park is already planning a shift in staff for the day because they anticipate an increase in numbers, and that most of those numbers are going to head straight for Harry Potter! Now they mostly head to the Hulk and Spiderman so they're going to have to move their staff from mostly being there, to Seuss (because people will be walking through it) and the Wizarding World. So... because of this (and I'm not sure when you're going) you may need more than a day? I'm going again in August with my boyfriends family, and while I'm excited for the 7 days of Disney that we're doing, his mom and brother are pretty much going JUST for the wizarding world of Harry Potter. They plan on spending a day to see as much of that as they can, followed by whatever else in the park, and then coming back for another day to focus on the rest of the IOA stuff.

Oh and I totally agree with albino pygmy about the popeye ride. It beats any rapids ride I've ever been on by about 10 times! And everyone gets DRENCHED, right down to your underwear (uh... I guess some people might not like that haha).

Thanks so much for all of the info-- it definitely helped out!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

I agree with Pygmy, the fastpass, although an extra cost can really make the day better. We ordered ours in advance online and collected them at the gate kiosks. The price varied depending on the day so we worked one of the lower cost days into our plan (there were 9 of us so the $$ was an issue but still totally worth it). We did IOA in 1 day, it was a little spoiled as the wet rides get you very wet and it was a cooler day, so wet and cold to a tiny bit of an edge off it, but as a Disneyholic, i still say IOA is a great theme park
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

We're hoping to have the opportunity to go in early September so I'm hoping crowd levels won't be too big of a factor. I've been to Disney at that time of year and our longest wait time wasn't more that 15 minutes for the entire trip. I don't know if IoA will be comparable to that, especially since the Harry Potter portion will be new, but it would be great if could save money by not having to purchase express pass.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

Thumper, i'm in the same boat...just one month later. I really don't have much interest in seeing Universal anymore (since most of the classic rides are gone) but am a huge Harry Potter fan and really want to check out the Wizarding World. I am starting to look into the feasibility of going for a day (i.e. first thing in the morning through to the afternoon) in the middle of our Disney trip. I haven't started researching deals but am concerned that i'd be spending a lot for one day admission. Gotta see if i can find any deals.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

were going to island for one day just to see harry potter too. were going to horror nights on a friday then spending the next day in island.. where we are spendin the evening before at universal were not going to buy a day pass for there.. just no reason. but i think one park one day passes are like 158 for 2 adult people.. i looked it up.. im thinkin maybe i can get them cheap at AAA.. if not im getting them anyway because im not waiting in line like i did in feb..lol
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

i have a question i wanna add to this post...

we have decided to stay at disney because of the magical express and being able to book our meals too and all.. but we have plans to go to island and horror nights the day before.. we didnt wanna rent a car so we booked disney and the magical express.. so with this being said.. we figured we could get a cab to island back and forth.. does anyone know around about how much that is? or if there is a better way of getting there?
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Cabs in Florida are just crazily over-priced anyway, for whatever reason. Call around and find out so that you don't get stuck. If you do decide to rent a car, remember that Universal does charge for parking, unless you can find something outside and walk over, like I've seen quite a few people do.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Without it being open, it's a bit hard to judge, isn't it? I'm sure people will flock there just for the sheer curiosity factor, so it's going to be quite busy for the immediate future. Still, I've done the entire park in one day. Universal does blow Disney away with ride technology, and though I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan (maybe if I were a teenager that'd be one thing, but once you cross beyond 30, well...) but I'm sure the rides will be awesome. Spiderman is one of THE best rides in any amusement park, hands down, so I'll give that to Universal. If they stick with that ride technology, they'll stay cutting-edge and hopefully the Harry Potter section will not disappoint.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

lol.... im over thirty and i have a harry potter costume i used to have a room devoted to all things harry potter but i gave it all up for my daughter so she could have a disney room
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

bety is offline Disney World Beast

I'm doing Islands of Adventure this year too! We're just allowing an entire day for it so we don't have to feel rushed. I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I still think it'll be really neat to see. I'm looking forward to it
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music