Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss Arrival/Departure Days in the Vacation Planning forums; What do you do on your day that you arrive and the day you depart from WDW if you do not go into the parks? Last time I was in ...
    Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Arrival/Departure Days

What do you do on your day that you arrive and the day you depart from WDW if you do not go into the parks?

Last time I was in the world, we arrived at our resort and freshened up then went to Downtown Disney for dinner and hit up a couple other restrauants for drinks and browsed the stores, then went back to the resort and got some sleep. On the departure date we took our time getting up in the morning, went to the resort's food court and got lunch, then browsed the resort gift store before hoping on the Magical Express to the airport.

This next trip I am taking our plane is suppose to land on a Sunday at 3:25pm on our arrival day. We depart on a Friday at 8:45pm (will have to leave for the airport at 5:45ish). Any suggestions?

We'll probably hang out at the resort a little, and hit up Downtown Disney. I was even thinking maybe going to California Grill for some drinks around the fireworks (anyone done this?)
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Arrival/Departure Days

Our plane was so delayed that it was bed time before we landed.
    The ME was so off kilter that we did not hit our hotel until 2 hours after we landed in Orlando

Lately we had crack of dawn flights. In past we always took the red-eye home so we had most of the day to go to the parks. We normally hit the MK and all picked our favorites to revisit one more time. Once it rained so we went to Epcot. One time our final ride was Splash Mountain. We squeezed every minute we could out of that final day. We got stuck inside the mountain for over an hour. We just made it to the airport in time for our flight.

We have mini golfed our first day, went to boardwalk and DTD when it was too late to bother with a park. Normally we just head to a park if we have a morning flight into Orlando

cindirella13 is offline A-Ticket holder

We always try to get in a as early as possible on our arrival date. That way we have a full day. The first thing we have to do as soon as we get there is go to the MK. It makes it more real, ya know, like, yay we're really here!
    The opposite is true of our last day, we always get a flight as late as possible. We usually will pick one park to just wander around and then pick our favorite restaurant to eat at.

The last time we were there was for our honeymoon and we planned a dinner at California Grill during Wishes. They sat us in the wine room in the back where it was super quiet and romantic(its a very noisy restaurant) and then during the fireworks they gave us glasses of champagne and led us outside to the balcony to watch the show. A guy proposed to his girlfriend! It was super cool!
    Por favor mantÚnganse alejado de las puertas!
    1987 Fort Wilderness 1990 Polynesian
    1992 Fort Wilderness 1993 Disneyland
    1995 Fort Wilderness 1996 All Star Music
    1998 Contemporary 2003 All Star Movies
    2006 All Star Sports 2009 Pop Century

Does anyone know if you need an ADR if you aren't having dinner, but just want to sit at the bar and maybe order an appetizer?
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

First night, the family likes to split a Kitchen Sink at Beaches & Creme. While waiting for a seat, we wander the Yacht and Beach Club Resorts.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

You don't need a reservation to sit at a bar and the appetizers at the Polynesian bar by Ohana were excellent!

We tend to fly out really early so we get in, explore the resort and rest. We try to get a dinner at a nice restaurant as a way to start off a vacation. If it isn't a holiday, we try to go to Magic Kingdom for a bit. On our last day, we try to squeeze in Magic Kingdom one last time. I just really enjoy that. I like to start off at MK and end there. Just something I like to do.

Ohana is a great idea!
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Day one is usually spent running around shopping at the outlets, then hitting the supermarket and/or Walmart to get food for the week. The DVC doesn't let you check in until 4pm, so we have to kill the day somehow.

On the last day, I usually walk from Saratoga Springs over to Downtown Disney to shop and eat. Then walk back either to drive to the airport, or catch Magical Express if I dropped the car off the day before. My flight is always around 7pm, so that gives me the whole day to walk and relax.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

1 small world is offline C-Ticket Holder

On the day you arrive...
    go get a drink, snack, whatever...
    and sit on the beach at the Poly or GFloridian and watch the fireworks!
    Last day...
    Downtown Disney...
    or
    Ohana for breakfast (so fun) or Chef Mickey's (fun fun)

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

On my trip last week we arrived at around 2, and so we walked around my hotel, then headed to the MK so we could take the monorail around and visit the resorts there, and had dinner reservations at Ohana at 930 for the fireworks (which happened because it was the only time left that day, but I've decided I will try to make a tradition... it was the PERFECT start to the vacation). On the last day we had breakfast at Kona cafe, then we went to downtown disney to do some last-day shopping. I always save all my souvenir shopping for my last day and do it all in DD. We had some time left then so we went to the boardwalk and ended up stopping in at Beaches and Cream for a No Way Jose.