Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss What's to do (and what's the cost) at the Boardwalk in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi all, My teenagers' seasonal passes are blacked out right now and we've done Downtown Disney a few times. I was thinking of taking them over to the Boardwalk one ...
    Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

What's to do (and what's the cost) at the Boardwalk

Hi all,

My teenagers' seasonal passes are blacked out right now and we've done Downtown Disney a few times. I was thinking of taking them over to the Boardwalk one night to get that "being at Disney" feel. But I've never been over there. I understand that in the evening it's supposed to recreate the atmosphere of Atlantic City but that doesn't tell me a whole lot. What's there to do over there in the evenings? And what are the costs involved? Have to keep an eye on the $$ because the first thing I learned about living here is we can't spend like we're on vacation!

Thanks!
    Hypermommy

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Re: What's to do (and what's the cost) at the Boardwalk

At night there are buskers on the boardwalk... when we were there there was a juggler type guy who was really neat and as soon as he was done you could see another act starting up down the boardwalk. If you picture it in your head (or look at a map) there's a lake, and all around it is the boardwalk and the beach and yacht club (in a complete circle), so you can also go check out the Beach and Yacht Club. They have a nightly movie on the beach (free!) and Beaches and Cream is a FANTASTIC icecream place. You can also rent a bike (I don't know what they're called... they fit like 6 people on them) and ride it around the lake. Ummm what else... there's a bakery and a candy shop, and a dueling piano bar but I'm thinking your kids are under 21 so that wouldn't work for you. It's a pretty great atmosphere there for sure though, and I'm not sure but there might be places to see the Illuminations (not the part with the globe, but the actual fireworks). You might actually want to think about staying at the Yacht Club or the Beach Club instead of the Boardwalk, because then you can use their pool which has a sand bottom, lazy river, water slide, etc and you're still right at the Boardwalk and can benefit from the entertainment there. They're all deluxe resorts so they are pretty pricey, but there are lots of deals going on right now (I'm going for one night to the Beach Club and using the 40% discount right from the Disney website)

Here are a few pictures I have:

Oh, and that guys has a basketball net on the top of that stick and that's a basketball that he threw going in!

Oh too cool!!!! So it sounds like there'll be plenty to do that won't cost much. We're local to Orlando so we're not getting a hotel (ahhhhh, to stay at the Yacht or Beach club would be cool, but I'm a Pop Century gal myself). I was just looking for some idea of something to do to get our Disney "fix" while they're blacked out from going to the parks.

Thanks a bunch!!!!! And the pics really helped too! Thanks!!
    Hypermommy

No problem! I've only ever stayed at Pop or off property myself, and we visit the Boardwalk on most trips just for the atmosphere On our next trip we're staying off property on my bf's mom's timeshare, but it's a two week trip and the resort wasn't available for one night inbetween the weeks, so that's the only reason we're staying at the Beach Club (it was pretty hard to resist when it was just ONE night at 40% off!).

But ya, as for price I think the only thing I've spent on while there is dinner and/or ice cream at Beaches and Cream (there's no ADRs and it's not that pricey, just a burger and hot dog place.. but hoooo boy the ice cream!) and then there's lots of free entertainment

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

There seems to be more to do at the Boardwalk than there really is. It also depends on the ages of the children. How far into their teenage years are they and do you have boys or girls? If they're closer in age to ten than to twenty, it'll be different, you know?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    There seems to be more to do at the Boardwalk than there really is. It also depends on the ages of the children. How far into their teenage years are they and do you have boys or girls? If they're closer in age to ten than to twenty, it'll be different, you know?
    I think that it would be hard to spend an entire day there, especially if you aren't staying at one of the hotels and so you can't swim... but you can easily spend an evening. I've gone from dinner (at Beaches and Cream) till about 10pm with my little sister and my boyfriend, and we were 16, 21 and 22 at the time and we just walked around and explored and stuff. I can spend more time there than downtown Disney (unless I have a lot of money for shopping heehee).

No, you really can't. One lap around and you're pretty much done. Plus, if it's during the day, that lap is a lot quicker.

But I'd still think it would depend on the age and gender of the people going to determine what would occupy their time.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

It's not during the day, its in the evening. Whenever I've been in the evening there are buskers, and as soon as one is done another one starts up. And like I said, there's movies on the beach, ice cream at beaches and cream.... they've never been to the resorts around there so you can go explore the resorts. You can rent a bike and go around as well. I'm sure if you look straight ahead and just walk then yes, the physical distance isn't all that long.

Anyways, I've spent an evening there before so for some people it IS fun, especially since the times that I've gone have mostly been on trips where we were in Orlando but could not afford Disney World, and I just needed that (free) Disney fix. I would say that if the family is local to Orlando, than what does it hurt to go and check it out? If they're all bored quickly (as you say they will be) then they go back home, and its not as if they've driven 10 hours to get there (and haven't wasted any money). I always stay off property and have driven 20 minutes to get there JUST for Beaches and Cream before...

Hypermommy, I say go and try it out (whats the harm?) and then come back and tell us what you think of it Maybe I'm just still at that stage where being ANYWHERE Disney makes me happy and just soaking up the atmosphere is good enough for me (although I hope I never ever lose that).

Good point... they're boys, ages 16 and 14.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    Hypermommy, I say go and try it out (whats the harm?) and then come back and tell us what you think of it Maybe I'm just still at that stage where being ANYWHERE Disney makes me happy and just soaking up the atmosphere is good enough for me (although I hope I never ever lose that).
    I think that's what I'll do. I'll take them over there sometime this week and will come back and let you know.

Thanks everyone!
    Hypermommy

See? There you go. Two mid-teen boys are probably not going to go for movies on the sand or arts and crafts. They might be more into the arcade at the Boardwalk, sports at ESPN, or maybe the music at Jellyrolls.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

See? There you go. Two mid-teen boys are probably not going to go for movies on the sand or arts and crafts. They might be more into the arcade at the Boardwalk, sports at ESPN, or maybe the music at Jellyrolls.

Well then yes, there you go...but like zippitydoodah said, let her try it out for herself...she has nothing to lose and you shouldn't discourage people from trying something just because you didn't find it entertaining. I personally love the Boardwalk and my family owns DVC there...and I can tell you that there is usually something interesting going on that catches our attention on the way back to the room.

Also, since you do have boys...I stayed that The Boardwalk when it first opened in 1997 during the Superbowl and they held a hugeeee Superbowl party on the Boardwalk...not sure if they still do it, but it is def. something to look into. They were painting faces in the colors of each team and I remember lots of snacks and drinks going around, but it was overall a good time for everyone and I was only 10
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ