Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Beyond the Parks Discuss Disney Quest! in the Vacation Planning forums; If you play any games that give tickets, then you have to pay an additional amount for those. I LOVE the 80s games they have there. I could stay in ...
    Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    If you play any games that give tickets, then you have to pay an additional amount for those. I LOVE the 80s games they have there. I could stay in that area for hours. If you like video games, it is a neat place to visit.
    Now is the time. Now is the best time. Now is the best time of your life. Life is a prize. Live every minute. Open your eyes and watch how you win it. Yesterdays memories may sparkle and gleam. Tomorrow is still but a dream! Remember the past, but live for today. The whole world is watching and your in the parade. There's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life!

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Forgot about what my wife calls "The Chuck 'E' Cheese" games. . . . we usually skip those. They cost extra because you win tickets for Disney stuff.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    I think the word you were looking for is 'inclusive' - you pay one price, and everything is included (except food).

I guess that's what I get for trying to use a "Big Word"....
    Izzy

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I just upgraded recently to a premium annual pass, which includes the "extras" like Disney Quest, both water parks, and Pleasure Island. having never been to DQ before in my life, i thought it appropriate that I gave it a once over.

As for the cost if you don't have admission included already on your pass... I guess it's worth it for a visit. but if you decide that this is something you are going to want to do multiple times, you better upgrade your ticket to a DQ annual pass or you're going to be shelling out close to $40 every visit! My girlfriend is a cast member, and even her 50% off cost her $18. She agreed that she would probably go again for $18, or possibly even just get the annual (which was I think somewhere around $100)... but she said she'd never pay the $40 for a one-time admission. It was cool, we agreed, but there wasn't enough to do in there to justify the $40.

Money stuff aside though, this place was pretty cool. Going in, I hadn't a clue what to expect, and I'm not really sure what I was expecting to see. A big arcade I guess... with some fancy-schmancy virtual reality games or something. Honestly, I'd never even paid much attention to the exterior of the building before, until I pulled up to DtD Westside the other night and gazed up at the monsterous structure.

My first impression of the entrance area was that of disappointment. You pass through one of three turnstiles and into one of two "cyberlators", which reminded me eerily of the Living Seas recently deceased hydrolators at first. But as soon as the doors closed, things started getting cool instantly. What I thought was a mirror on one side of the cyberlator turned out to be one of those two-way mirror things (think of an iterrogation room like on a TV police drama), and behind it was a screen with a sort of welcoming movie featuring Genie from Aladdin, which was all sync'd up with the elevator's movement, turning what I expected to be a dumb elevator ride into literally something to smile and go "whoah!" about.

You then enter into a the center of a large room. Before you is what appears to be a corssroads of sort. This is like the "hub" of the Magic Kingdom. Think of it as your pathway from land to land. Inside this huge room, spread out amongst five various levels, you will find a number of different "lands". I can't really begin to describe each of them yet, as I'm writing this at school and need to go home to consult my DQ map before I try to get into much more detail, but there were different areas nonetheless. Each one had it's own "E-Ticket" attractions, if you will, and a handful of more common arcade style games. Fortunately, with the exception of food and games that dispensed prizes, even the arcade style games were free. The only downside to this was that it meant waiting for your turn became incredibly tedious, as kids (and some adults even) just continuously replayed their games over and over and over again.

I've got to get going to class real soon, but I'll revisit this thread later to go into more detail on some of the more specific features of DQ and my favorite attractions there.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Ok, I'm back. Sorry that took so long to get around to finishing some more on this. Now that I'm sitting here looking at a map of the place, I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the naming or theming of the four different main areas within DisneyQuest, which they refer to as "Zones". There are named Explore, Score, Replay, and Create. Honestly, they're not even marked on the map, so I can't quite figure out the purpose of having them named like that.

Anyway, I said I'd walk you through each of the most prominent attractions (assuming I got to experience them in the four hours I was there), and so here I go. You enter on the third floor, but it would be silly to start this little review there and head in both directions, so for the sake of simplifying things, I'll start on the bottom floor.

This floor houses two attractions, as well as the DQ exit and Emporium (gift shop). The first attraction you will see is called Virtual Jungle Cruise. You sit in a rubber raft (for three or four people I think) and are given an oar, and you're looking at a big video game screen in front of you, which basically "teleports" you from Adventureland at MK (you are even looking at the castle when you start), back into the age of the dinos. A giant blue airbag of sort inflates underneath you and makes you pitch and roll all over the place in a coordinated fashion along with the pitching and rolling of the river. It looks pretty neat, and they even add the realism of splashing you lightly with a spritz of water when you hit rapids and stuff. You use the oar to paddle yourself down the river. Whether or not your paddling has any effect on the game whatsoever is debateable, because we tried doing different things with it to see if we could make the raft react accordingly, but failed to do so. All I was able to determine was that a splashing noise can be heard as your oar passes by a sensor or something outside your raft. So I don't know if you actually have any control over your boat, but I do know that I watched several guests have a go at this attraction, and each one ended up taking a slightly different route, so who knows?

The second attraction on the bottom floor is called Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold. You are divided up into crews and sent to sail one of four ships, each with a different name (don't ask me to recall them, because I can't). Each "ship", is really like the front half of a small boat, complete with a helm (that's the nautical term for the steering wheel) and six (I believe it was six) cannon spread out around the perimeter. You put on these special goggles called the "Eyes of Blackbeard", which are basically 3D glasses, but a bit larger and more secure so they don't fall off as you run around on the ship. They help bring the images you are about to see on the screens surrounding your ship into a sort of 3D effect. We had a crew of about 5 or 6 I believe, but I don't know if that's the norm or not. One person took the helm, and it was their job to navagate these deadly waters and bring our guns into range - basically, steer the ship into a position where we could bring our maximum firepower onto our enemies, while at the same time steering us clear of attackers. The four or five of us who were not at the helm ran about amongst the six cannon and fired like crazy at anything and everything else we could find. There was no ammunition limit, and you fired by simply giving a rope a quick tug, so you could literally fire the cannon like a machine gun if you had the stamina for it BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM! You had a lmited range of motion on each cannon, so if your target was just slightly out of the range that your gun could pivot and there was nobody manning the gun next to you, you could drop the gun you were on and pick up the next one and fire at reckless abandon. The "enemies" we were shooting at were other virtual ships (I don't know if they were any of the other "crews" or not, but one way or another there were ships), which all looked alike. There were also a few islands and coastal towns you could bombard if you so chose. Each time you sank a ship, you collected that ships "gold", which was added to your ships total score. After you sank all of the opposing ships, you squared off with the ghost of Jolly Roger and his ghost ship, which was a bit more difficult to defeat, but not too terribly so (or maybe we just had a good crew???) One way or another, after the thing was over the scores were tallied up, and our crew was the winner... not bad for a first time! One of my only gripes about this adventure (game, attraction, ...whatever) was that due to the limited number of screens (there are I believe three screens that wrap around your ship), and the fact that there are six guns, two guns are linked to each screen. So while you can see the cannonballs of your shipmates and enemies alike soaring through the air, when the cannon immediately next to you (the one that shares the same screen as you) fires, the shot appears to come from your gun, which is a little bit weird looking and takes a minute to get used to.

Ok, well that's the bottom floor, and I'm starting to get tired of typing already. I guess it kind of makes sense to do these attractions a couple at a time, considering that there is kind of a lot to tell about a lot of them, especially the cooler ones, so I'll be back to talk about the second floor I guess another time. Stay tuned!
    -Don-

mrmouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    I went for the first time in Dec. with my 9 yr old son. We both had a blast. I would recommend getting your tickets from Maple Leaf tickets, they were cheaper than anywhere else. We didn't play any games that dispensed tickets so the only extra cost was lunch. I would recommend going at least once. Disney is supposedly shutting down DisneyQuest in 2008 if I remember correctly. They are supposedly replacing it with an ESPN Zone restaraunt. Lending support to this rumor is that the only Disney Quest merchandise to be found in the gift shop was a DQ pressed penny.
    Disneyland in October '07?

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We are thinking of heading to DisneyQuest this year, also. $34ish to get in? What are the lands like? Glad to know the games aren't extra. Did someone say Cheesecake Factory??
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by smith913 View Post
    We are thinking of heading to DisneyQuest this year, also. $34ish to get in? What are the lands like? Glad to know the games aren't extra. Did someone say Cheesecake Factory??
    I don't remember the exact cost for a one time visit, but I think I remember it being just shy of $40. I don't have the specifics, because my gf got in at the CM discounted rate and my admission was included on my AP. But that was also a year ago, so they may have gone up. MOST of the games are included and do not cost any extra, although anything you might win a prize from of course will try to nickel and dime you. And as for the Cheesecake Factory... yes, there is a counter service food outlet in there called FoodQuest (presented by The Cheesecake Factory Express), but as for specifics, I really can't tell you anything because I've never taken the time to stop and check it out, never mind actually grab anything to eat.

As for the lands, they are actually referred to as "Zones". I started to get into a full (and overly detailed) summary of what can be found in DQ about a year ago, but I realized that the thread seemed to be dying and I got busy and I ended up just abandoning my effort. Instead, I'll just give a very basic summary... the four zones, Explore, Score, Replay, and Create, unlike the lands at say MK or DAK, are not entirely isolated from one another with very distinct theming from one to the next. Yes, there are differences from one to the next, with each having its own general theme, the fact that each zone stems multiple floors, each floor shares multiple zones, and there are 5 floors to 4 zones, it's honestly a little bit confusing at times as to which zone specifically you are in. In fact, even after having been twice, and looking now at the map that saved from my first trip there, I notice that the map doesn't even bother to try to specify where each of the zones begins/ends/or what is included in each. It is color coded, but no key is shown that describes which color refers to which zone. Instead, it divides it up by floor. To be entirely honest, I think that in order for me to get into specifics as to the overall theming of each Zone, and specifically which attractions can be found in each, I would probably have to go back and visit once more... which I probably will fairly soon.

Disney Quest is definitely worth a visit at least once, only I recommend making sure you have several hours to spend, especially if you go on a rainy day or on an evening when the parks close early, because it can get to be a bit (or more than a bit) crowded, and without Cast Members to staff each and every silly little arcade style game, it's almost impossible to enforce the "taking turns" rule. My girlfriend and I waited for what had to have been at least 30 minutes trying to get on some silly racing game before we abandoned our attempt, because little rugrats just kept playing over and over without giving people behind them a chance to play, or cutting in front of us, jumping on just as soon as the seat opened up, and that kind of thing. The larger and more popular attractions have more organized queues and are staffed appropriately, but keep in mind that for some of the little stuff, you are likely going to wait a while and possibly have to worm your way into taking a turn. My best advice is go when it's not so busy and avoid that mess entirely.
    -Don-

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for the info, Don. I think we will definitely go on our March trip. My daughter saw something about designing your own coaster and then "riding" it. That looks cool! 43 days and counting!!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12