Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Beyond the Parks Discuss questions about downtown disney in the Vacation Planning forums; i have never been to downtown disney before and is it true that it costs extra to get into it? also can kids get in or is it over 18 ...
    judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder

questions about downtown disney

i have never been to downtown disney before and is it true that it costs extra to get into it? also can kids get in or is it over 18 only? also if we are staying at one of the disney hotels do we need a car to get there? sorry if these are silly questions, but you all really seem to know your stuff so i thought id ask here. hope you dont mind

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by judycats
    i have never been to downtown disney before and is it true that it costs extra to get into it? also can kids get in or is it over 18 only? also if we are staying at one of the disney hotels do we need a car to get there? sorry if these are silly questions, but you all really seem to know your stuff so i thought id ask here. hope you dont mind
    Downtown Disney-Marketplace, where the stores are has no admission charges. Pleasure Island is currently testing a no cost admission to the island itself, but it will cost to get into the clubs. This was done to increase foot traffic, but I have heard it isn't working out as hoped.

Although kids are welcome to the nightclub side, it would be a good idea not to bring them. There are 2 clubs that don't allow under 21 year olds inside.
    Last edited by tiggerguy; 06-11-2004 at 07:49 PM.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

JoeCollege is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey, I'll add to what Brian said:

There are three main sections to Downtown Disney: West Side, Pleasure Island, and the Marketplace. I think the Marketplace is the oldest, and the shops there are mostly Disney fare: The World of Disney is the largest Disney store in the world, if i'm correct. Check out the newly-redone Toy Store or grab a bite at the Rainforest Cafe. Both are extremely cool inside, so even if you're not shopping or aren't hungry, go inside and take a look!

Pleasure Island is the original "adults" part of Downtown Disney, where you can dance away like it's New Years Eve. Brian's right though, 2 clubs are 21+, and even the other clubs aren't exactly "kid-friendly".

West Side is the newest part of Downtown Disney, and you could very easily spend a day here. Take in a movie at the AMC 24 Theatre (I know what you're thinking, but it's great if you're spending 5-6 days during the middle of the summer to take a day "off" and spend the morning by your resort pool and then head over to the movie theater and dinner.) It's also great for parents to let their "tweens" have some freedom while they dine at any of the fantastic resturants. (My favorite: The Portobello Yacht Club!) There's also DisneyQuest, an indoor theme park where you can build your own virtual rollercoaster, and La Nouba, a Cirque Du Soilel show the defies imagination (and gravity).

The best part about Downtown Disney is that it's free and easy to get to if you're staying at a Walt Disney World Resort (Parking is complimentary for everyone.) Just take the bus marked "Downtown Disney" from your resort, and you'll be there in 15-30 minutes!

-Joe

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    If you do go to the AMC theater, try and see what's playing on the "digital projection" screen - it's always been very impressive to me quality-wise. No hairs, scratches, runs, glitches.. Like an opening-night print of a film, even three weeks into the run!

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    Downtown Disney is alot of fun!! Marketplace is the oldest section and if there is a souvineer you are looking for you will find it there. I have and 8year old and 2year old, the oldest has been to WDW twice and she loves the Marketplace. We didn't make it to Pleasure Island or Downtown Disney either of those times but we will try this time.
    Pleasure Island is geared towards adults but if I remember correctly from my cast member days there is music and dancing in the street, and fireworks later at night. It depends on the age of your children whether you take them to Pleasure Island but it would be a nice night out for the adults. I recommend the Adventurers Club, KUNGALOOSH!!!

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Pleasure Island changes its admission policy

Pleasure Island changes its admission policy and opens its gates to everyone!

Evening visitors to Downtown Disney can now stroll through Pleasure Island for free under a summertime experiment to lift the fee for entering the 15-year-old nighttime-entertainment complex after dark. The three-month admissions policy, launched Sunday, still requires guests to pay the $21.84 admission if they enter one of Pleasure Island's eight nightclubs, a Walt Disney World spokeswoman said.

Visitors have always been able to pass through Pleasure Island during the daytime, using it as a shortcut from the Marketplace to the West Side. But the gates to the area were closed each day at 7 p.m. and the entry fee charged. Now guests can move freely through Downtown Disney without circumventing Pleasure Island to get from one side to the other.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

cjdiggs is offline C-Ticket Holder

Talking

Hellp all just remember if you do decide to go to Downtown Disney just remember CM nights are Monday and THursday nights so that will be alot busier those nights!

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I've never been there... sounds neat.

#1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.
    I never knew that CM members had special nights at downtown disney, what they get a special discount or something. I know they get discounts on pretty much everything.
    Last edited by #1EeyoreFan; 06-23-2005 at 11:59 AM. Reason: written wrong
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

cjdiggs is offline C-Ticket Holder
    What CM's get is free addmission to the clubs and half price for one friend as well. So usually there are plenty more kids out those nights since it is free and all.

byoung1521 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Back in the early days of PI they had what they calle Zappy Hour. You got free admission into the clubs until seven pm, they stamped your hand if you were over 21 so you could drink, and as soon as you bought your first drink you got your wrist band which allowed your free admission all night. The two clubs that had zappy hour were the beach party and the neon armadillo. I used to leave work at 5, go home and change and then take our van over to PI. Eat at the buffett in the two bars then spend the night at The Adventurers Club, It got to the point that some of the other regular's there thought I was a plant and spying on them. I was just a happy college kid at the time.
    "You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

GrmGrnningGhost is offline Friends Call Me Snow Miser...
    i got a question. is marijuana allowed in pleasure island?because i was walking through it to get to the market place and most of the time i smelt weed being smoked
    Josh

The happy haunts have received your simpathetic vibrations, and are begining to materialize.They're assembling for a swinging wake,and they will be expecting me.I will see you all a little later

I'm Mister White Christmas
    I'm Mister Snow
    I'm Mister Icicle
    I'm Mister Ten Below
    Friends call me Snow Miser
    What ever I touch
    Turns to snow in my clutch
    I'm too much!

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Pleasure Island changes its admission policy and opens its gates to everyone!

Evening visitors to Downtown Disney can now stroll through Pleasure Island for free under a summertime experiment to lift the fee for entering the 15-year-old nighttime-entertainment complex after dark. The three-month admissions policy, launched Sunday, still requires guests to pay the $21.84 admission if they enter one of Pleasure Island's eight nightclubs, a Walt Disney World spokeswoman said.

Visitors have always been able to pass through Pleasure Island during the daytime, using it as a shortcut from the Marketplace to the West Side. But the gates to the area were closed each day at 7 p.m. and the entry fee charged. Now guests can move freely through Downtown Disney without circumventing Pleasure Island to get from one side to the other.
    That is for entry into all of the clubs, if there is just 1 club you want to go to, you can also pay at the door $10.60 (includes tax). If you plan on club-hopping, buy the full ticket.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I want to hop from the Adventurer's Club to the Comedy Warehouse, to the Adventurer's Club to the Comedy Warehouse, to the ddventurer's Club to the Comedy Warehouse.
    They call me "Nana"

SecondStar is offline Why is the rum gone?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrnningGhost
    i got a question. is marijuana allowed in pleasure island?because i was walking through it to get to the market place and most of the time i smelt weed being smoked

Sadly, Disney isn't numb to the laws set down by the government. If smoking weed is illegal everywhere else, WDW is no exception. Now, does it happen, oh.. probably. There's always someone somewhere who's gonna toke it up no matter where they're at.
    : Stephanie:

this is what dreams are made of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast