Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Camping at Walt Disney World Discuss Tenting it at FW with our kids? Are we crazy? in the Resorts & Accomodations forums; Ok, here's the story. Like many, many other Americans, we don't have a ton of money right now. But we could really use a vacation to WDW! I don't know ...
    julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Tenting it at FW with our kids? Are we crazy?

Ok, here's the story. Like many, many other Americans, we don't have a ton of money right now. But we could really use a vacation to WDW! I don't know why it never occurred to me before, but I just realized that we could afford to stay at FW at our favorite time of year (Dec.) if we pitch a tent. My husband is looking at big, giant tents on Amazon right now, but just how crazy an idea would that be?

Now we have four kids. At time of travel they'd be 9, 7 (autistic), almost 2, and about 11 mos.

I have a friend (actually one of my 7-yr-old's former teachers) who's going in Dec. and I think I read she's getting the free dining. Is it available to those who tent at FW???

Please, pretty please, I want your feedback. Am I nuts?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Tenting it at FW with our kids? Are we crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by julielizabet View Post
    Ok, here's the story. Like many, many other Americans, we don't have a ton of money right now. But we could really use a vacation to WDW! I don't know why it never occurred to me before, but I just realized that we could afford to stay at FW at our favorite time of year (Dec.) if we pitch a tent. My husband is looking at big, giant tents on Amazon right now, but just how crazy an idea would that be?

Now we have four kids. At time of travel they'd be 9, 7 (autistic), almost 2, and about 11 mos.

I have a friend (actually one of my 7-yr-old's former teachers) who's going in Dec. and I think I read she's getting the free dining. Is it available to those who tent at FW???

So are you generally a camping family?

I know at 2 and 11 months my kids dropped and slept anywhere, the 9 year old would likely enjoy the adventure and your 7 year old, I don't have a frame of reference as to how important his/her sleep rituals are.

Sometimes a needed vacation makes you overcome obstacles. Guess you won't know until you try.

The last I heard and it was a few years ago tents were not included in Free Dining but the cabins were. Might want to weight the cost difference between the cabins vs campsite and free dining.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Thank you! I have since corresponded with my wonderful travel agent who confirmed what you said about the Free Dining Plan not being applicable to anything but cabins. I agree with you. She did, however, quote me for POR with the Free Dining, which wound up being about $100 more all together than the tent camping scenario + basic dining plan. However, I'm not sure our family would fit into one standard room at POR. Do you?

Thank you! I have since corresponded with my wonderful travel agent who confirmed what you said about the Free Dining Plan not being applicable to anything but cabins. I agree with you. She did, however, quote me for POR with the Free Dining, which wound up being about $100 more all together than the tent camping scenario + basic dining plan. However, I'm not sure our family would fit into one standard room at POR. Do you?
    POR has rooms for 5. Most rooms are being changed over from Full sized beds to queens. They just put in trundles in many of their rooms, they fold down over the dresser unit. I do not believe the infant counts against the room occupancy and they have portable cribs. Cribs work great in the sink area near the coat rack and the curtain kind makes that area more private for nap time.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

And all of the buildings are relatively close to the numerous quiet swimming pools. In those are washrooms because with that many people the one bath could be an issue. Also the main pool has shower stalls. If you want to get out fast or to sleep fast with a large crew, hi ho hi ho off to the shower house you could go.
    Everyone clean in a matter of minutes. Win Win.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

oh yeah you can get the the free dining. and this is not crazy at all. I won't laugh at you if you pitch a tent with your kids in it.

Thanks to Gabe! Love the suggestion about the crib. I was wondering about that!!!