Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cast Member Appreciation Discuss Nice things to do for CM's (and a couple special ones thrown in for Guests) in the Cast Members forums; I was thinking about some stuff and wondered what types of things others do for guests or CM's... I always call CM's by name I take Thank You notes to ...
    MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle

Nice things to do for CM's (and a couple special ones thrown in for Guests)

I was thinking about some stuff and wondered what types of things others do for guests or CM's...

I always call CM's by name

I take Thank You notes to CM's who did special things for us and write to their bosses

I thank the custodial CM's for keeping the park beautiful

and now I can tell them about this forum! YAY!!!!

I totally forgot the most important thing we do:
    As you all know, MJ doesn't like characters (except from a long distance) so we started a CM autograph book for her. She always makes us stop so she can give CM's a high 5 or a hug, so now she also has ones that are special to her sign her autograph book. I cry everytime I read it.....some of the entries are VERY moving.

Guests:

I thank the vets who participate in the Flag Retreat for their service to us and our country

I thank smokers who are smoking in designated areas rather than out in the parks

What things do you do?
    Last edited by MommytoMJM; 05-26-2005 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Totally forgot the most important one!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    I will mention their hometown and/or college/university; if there is time will chit chat.

If they are from a foreign country, I will say hello in their langauge. They really appreciate that. Here is a list:

Alnbadwawgan/Abenaki People:Kwai
    Australian: Hello,Gi'day, Buon giorno, Kalimera, Gello, Hi or Yo
    Australian Aborigine: Vaturak
    Arabic: Al salaam a'alaykum
    Albanian: Tung
    Armenian: Parev
    Ashley : Guachumana
    Bosnian: zdravo
    Botswana: Dumella rah
    Bulgarian:Dobur Den or Zdrasti( more informal)
    Cantonese: So san, lei ho
    Cambodian: khmer,or khmai.( jum-reap suor)
    Cherokee: Oh-see-YOH
    Chinese: Ni hao
    Choctaw: Halito ( hah-leh-TOH)
    Croatia: Bog (hello) Dobar dan (good day)
    Czeck: Nazdar
    Danish Hej
    Dutch: Hallo
    Finnish: hei, heippa or "moi"
    Esperanto: Saluton
    Estonian: Tere
    Ethiopian/ Amharic Tena Yistilign
    Fijian:Bula Bula
    French: Bonjour
    German: Guten Tag
    German (NORTH): Moin Moin, or NA
    German (South): Gruss Gott (Greet God) Gruss dich, Grezi (Greet You)
    Greek: Kalimera, Yasas
    Hawaiian: Aloha
    Hassa: (Niger, West Africa) Sannu
    Hebrew: Shalom
    Hindi: Namasthe
    Hungarian: Szia
    Indonesian: Selamat pagi
    Italian: Buon giorno , or ciao!
    Irish Dia Dhuit (literally means God be with you)
    Japanese: Konichiwa
    Korean: Annyong ha simnikka or ANYO
    Latvian: Labdien
    L'nuwsim: Mkmaq people Kw
    Malagasy: (from Madagascar) Salama tompko
    Malayam: Vanakkam
    Maltiseconhamyak
    Marathi Namaskar
    Mayan: Ba'ax ka wa'alik
    Maori (from New Zealand): Kia ora
    Mohawk: Sekoh
    Navaho: Y't'h
    Nepali: Namasute
    New Zealand: (Maori): Kia Ora
    Norwegian God dag (like Swedish) or Hei
    Pakistani/
    Urdu: Assalam-o-alaikum,Adaab,Tasleemat
    Pushtu: Senga Yai
    Sindhi: Kehro haal aahei
    Balti: Yang chi halyo?
    Pacific Islands:
    Marshall Islands - Yokway
    Palau - Ali
    Chuuk - Ranalim
    Pohnpei - Kasaleliah (Kasa-lay-le-yah)
    Guam (Chamoru) - Hafa Adai (Hof-a-day)
    Persian: salam

Polish: Czesc (tcheshtch) or Dziendobry (jindobrerh-good day)
    Portuguese: Bom dia,
    Portugese (Brazillian)OL
    Punjabi : Sat Sri Akal
    Romanian: Buna ziua
    Russian: Zdravstvuite, Preevyet
    Serbo-Croatian: Dobar dan
    Sioux Indian: dakota (means hi friend)
    Slovak: Ahoj
    Slovenian: Zivjo (hello), Dober dan (good day)
    Spanish: Hola, Buenos dias,
    Swahili: Jambo
    Swedish: God dag
    Swiss-German: Hoi
    Taiwanese: li ho bo
    Tamil: Vanakkam
    Tagalog (Filipino): Magandang tanghali , Kamusta, Como estaka
    Telugu: Namaskaram
    Thai (from boy) sa-wa DEE Krab
    Thai (from Girl) sa-wa DEE kah
    Tibetan: Tashi Delek
    Turkish: Merhaba
    Ubi Dubi: hubelubo
    Welsh: Bore da
    Zarma- (Niger, West Africa) Fofo

P.S. Don't forget the deaf or hearing impaired. "Hello" is signed by moving the hand from the forehead in an outward and down motion, similar to a salute.

I always leave a tip for the Mousekeepers at the resorts.

I e-mail WDW Disney Guest Relations to compliment the CMs.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 05-26-2005 at 04:04 PM.

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    You left out Americans.... Sup?

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    I like the Ubi Dubi...glubad tubo knubow thubat Iub'm nubot thube ubonluby pubersubon tubo ubunduberstuband thubat lubangubage!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    That is a nice reference to have JC....does anyone else do other nice things for CM's?
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Pixmel is offline A-Ticket holder

RE: Nice Things To Do For CMs

does anyone else do other nice things for CM's?
    I would just like to say after reading this thread . . . THANK YOU!

As a CM personally, I really am there for one thing . . . to make the guests happy. But it is a nice change to find a group that cares about us, too.

It's nice to know once in a while that what we do can and does make a difference.

Thanks again.
    Pixmel

"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out." ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Pixmel
    I would just like to say after reading this thread . . . THANK YOU!

As a CM personally, I really am there for one thing . . . to make the guests happy. But it is a nice change to find a group that cares about us, too.

It's nice to know once in a while that what we do can and does make a difference.

Thanks again.
    Welcome Pixmel!!!! And thank you for being one of the special CM's who place so much effort into making us all happy!!!

I too am big on thank you notes and writing letters to WDW to express thanks for a job well done when a CM goes above and beyond! In general I believe that people are quick to complain and write letters when things go bad...I think it's only fair and right to show appreciation when things are great! Everyone loves to get positive feedback!

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    As a former (and still kinda) CM I can tell you that the best thing to do is treat us with respect. Other than that, fill out comment cards for any CM that does a great job, our rare raises and bonuses depend on those cards, and when a good one comes in for a CM it is a great morale boost for everyone because they show that we are having a positive effect on you as a guest. When we recieve good comments written from a guest, it is just as much a magical moment as anything that happens in the parks.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    First, Welcome Pixmel!
    I always leave a tip for mousekeeping, I think it is often one of those thankless jobs in the parks.

I also ofteon say a special "hello" to those I see from Michigan, and ask them where they are from in my home state, etc.

I also speak to CM's that are from Mexico or Spain in Spanish as much as I can, they seem to appreciate it.

I give a special thanks to the characters-I know the kids (like mine) love them, but I let them know I appreciate what they do.

Also, when I see someone listening to complaints or problems (ie-why is this bathroom closed? You mean I gotta walk all they way over to Fantasyland for the next one?) I make a special point of giving that CM a big smile, and have a good attitude with them...I mean, it should be a happy place for all!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

TalkingHands is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    P.S. Don't forget the deaf or hearing impaired. "Hello" is signed by moving the hand from the forehead in an outward and down motion, similar to a salute.
    Most people I know who prefer to call themselves hearing impaired can't sign. They are oral. Preferred terms are deaf and hard of hearing.
    Also it is just out not down. like a salute.
    Last edited by TalkingHands; 07-13-2005 at 10:38 PM.
    WDW Sept 9-11, 2005

Lisbet

Pixmel is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreen
    As a former (and still kinda) CM I can tell you that the best thing to do is treat us with respect. Other than that, fill out comment cards for any CM that does a great job, our rare raises and bonuses depend on those cards, and when a good one comes in for a CM it is a great morale boost for everyone because they show that we are having a positive effect on you as a guest. When we recieve good comments written from a guest, it is just as much a magical moment as anything that happens in the parks.
    I totally agree. I have a lot of guests that offer to give me tips. However, those of us in merchandise are not supposed to accept them which is just fine with me anyway. I certainly don't expect to be paid something extra for doing what I feel is my job and what I should be doing in the first place.

I usually tell guests if they really want to do something special for me, mail in a note, send an email or stop by Guest Relations and fill out a Guest Fanatic card. Those go a lot farther for my Disney career than any tip any day.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate the offer of the tip, but it's the wonderful memories of the moments that I truly cherish. And I agree with you. . . getting that feedback makes my whole day, week, month, year! My own little Magical Moment and warm fuzzies. Makes me feel wonderful that what I do makes a difference in a guest's stay. I wish I could do something extra or magical for every person that visits WDW. Although that's impossible, I personally try for as many as I can.
    Pixmel

"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out." ~Walt Disney

cjdiggs is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I always loved being called by my name. Its alot better than hey you, and sir is just a bit to informal in most cases. Anytime i go to the parks now I use the CM's first name.

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    "I also ofteon say a special "hello" to those I see from Michigan, and ask them where they are from in my home state, etc."

ME TOO! I am also from Michigan - I wonder how many more people do that when they see someone from their home state? Our itinerary planner, Pam, was Michigan which made planning our honeymoon 3 years ago a lot more fun!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie
    "I also ofteon say a special "hello" to those I see from Michigan, and ask them where they are from in my home state, etc."

ME TOO! I am also from Michigan - I wonder how many more people do that when they see someone from their home state? Our itinerary planner, Pam, was Michigan which made planning our honeymoon 3 years ago a lot more fun!
    I do the same thing and am also from Michigan! I have to say that I was disappointed that the special nametags they have for the Happiest Celebration on Earth doesn't list the CM's hometown!

I know where in Michigan Dissylove is from, but how about you Winnie? I live in Auburn Hills which is a Northern suburb of Detroit.

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I am from Niles which is the Southwestern Lower part of Michigan, 7 miles from the Indiana State Line & the University of Notre Dame, although I am a U of M fan! My husband is originally from Albuquerque, New Mexico.

I also forgot to add that although we are there for a magical time and to escape reality, I really try hard to treat the CM's with so much respect. They are doing something to make my stay special and if the shoe was reversed I know that I would want to be treated kindly. I have learned that the more I greet or talk to the CM's the more I actually get back by making a friend while I am there. ( Maybe it is a Social Worker thing )

I also live by the rule, if I can write, call, or speak to someone to complain, I can complement good behavior, treatment, or service just as well.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast