Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Cast Members Discuss Hoping for a job! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I am a huge WDW fan... and as a college senior with graduation approaching... could not think of a better place to work ...
    DisFanMichelle is offline A-Ticket holder

Hoping for a job!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I am a huge WDW fan... and as a college senior with graduation approaching... could not think of a better place to work than for Disney! I have been searching for jobs religiously on disneycareers.com for the past few weeks now, and am having trouble finding entry-level jobs in the Orlando area. I understand that Disney's corporate offices are in Burbank, but I would love to work in WDW with a job suited for my major (corporate communications and business)... perhaps in hospitality or something related. How do I go about looking for jobs in the parks themselves? If there are any current castmembers out there that could walk me through the process, I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

Thanks in advance

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Michelle, the BEST way to get a job inside Disney like you want, is to start in the company with an entry level job after you graduate. There are a LOT of advancement opportunities that you have to be inside the company to recieve.

Apply for anything on disneycareers.com that you would like. Even if it isn't your major. You can ALWAYS transfer and if your dream is to work at Disney.

I graduated last April from college, and I have an entry level job with disney and it really is an amazing opportunity! I am meeting so many people and networking, and I can already see the clear line of advancing and when its going to happen by, and I love it!

You can also call casting (the number is on the site) and talk to them, but the best way to start would be to get an entry level job. Disney is very loyal to their loyal employees!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

to DWT Michelle! And good luck with the job! I knew that Jeanne would be along with some good advice for you!

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Welcome to our family! I really hope the job works out for you. Listen to Jeanne, she's one of the best!

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    Welcome to the boards and good luck on the job hunt!
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    There is a corporate office complex for WDW in Celebration. With your degree in communications, don't overlook something in marketing. Entry level may be the best way to get your foot in the door. Good luck! Keep in mind that many successful CM's didn't get hired the first time they attempted. Experience in the area of your degree and perseverance will help you achieve your goal.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Also, keep in mind that the disney job portal with all the listings sometimes get a couple thousands yes THOUSAND applications for some of the jobs online. So it may not be you! There is a LOT of competition out there for Disney jobs!
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

DisFanMichelle is offline A-Ticket holder
    Jeanne,
    Thanks for the tips! May I ask where your job is within the company? I've heard that Disney has great benefits, but is the starting salary enough to live on in Orlando? I know next to nothing about the cost of living in Orlando (I go to the school in NC... where living is relatively cheap!).
    Thanks!!
    -Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by DisFanMichelle View Post
    Jeanne,
    Thanks for the tips! May I ask where your job is within the company? I've heard that Disney has great benefits, but is the starting salary enough to live on in Orlando? I know next to nothing about the cost of living in Orlando (I go to the school in NC... where living is relatively cheap!).
    Thanks!!
    -Michelle
    I work in park operations in attractions which is an entry level job. I'm starting to progress up though very shortly.

The starting salary really isn't enough in Orlando. It's anywhere from $7 to $9 an hour... but it IS possible to do. Disney has cheap health insurance after 3 months and you get a LOT of discounts in the local area surrounding Disney, so its definitely possible if you want what you spend. It's also easier if you have a roommate. There are definitely ways to do it, you just have to really WANT to work at disney, be okay with not having everything your used to, and downsizing a lot of stuff. But once you move up its definitely easier to live and makes life better. However, it's a LOT of fun and there's nothing I'd rather be doing.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think the biggest cost of living in the Orlando area is gas. Everything seems to be spread out, so you do a lot of driving to get from point A to point B. Sales tax is high (7% in Osceola Co.) because there is no state income tax. You may find renting an apartment to be as high as in any college town.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

In a decent neighborhood apartment rents are about 700-1.000 for a one bedroom. In a bed neighborhood you can find them for about 600. Gas is cheaper on certain areas right around disney if you know where to look
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011