Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Cast Members Discuss Questions about seasonal employment for the CMs... in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hello everyone! After googling until my fingers are prematurely arthritic, I've decided to see if any of the CMs who frequent this board could answer my questions a little better. ...
    CaribbeanMouse is offline A-Ticket holder

Questions about seasonal employment for the CMs...

Hello everyone!

After googling until my fingers are prematurely arthritic, I've decided to see if any of the CMs who frequent this board could answer my questions a little better. I'm hoping so, since some of my questions I can't find answers for at all!

I'm interested in working at WDW, (as if that needed to be stated.) I would LOVE to do the college program, but that seems like a bad idea for me at the moment. I'm currently a double-major, and my school would probably not take the credit from the CP. I can't really afford to risk losing my financial aid, and would rather graduate on time, since its going to take me a while anyways. I don't know that I can afford to take a semester off to do the CP.
    Of course, that brings up my first question: Can recently graduated seniors/students going for post-grad degrees be in the CP?

Now, from looking at other options, it looks like seasonal employment might be a good option. I have heard that for seasonal, you have to work 6-8 weeks your first time, then at least 2 weeks per year to stay on the payroll. I have also heard you must work 6-8 weeks every time, to remain seasonal. Can someone clear up the seasonal employment requirements for me?
    Oh, and can you be in entertainment (I'm thinking specifically characters, here) and be in seasonal? When you come back for your next seasonal span, are you still in that character, or do you have to re-audition?

If I'm wanting seasonal, and I live out of state, I still go down to the Casting Center to apply, correct? Is there any time frame that you need to go during, relating to your availability time? As in...let's see...if I wanted to work seasonal this coming summer, is going down during my Christmas break to interview too early/too late?

Also, I've come across the term "casual employment." What does this mean, and what are the requirements?

I was also wondering about housing. I know that the CP and a few internships have housing from Disney, but is there Disney housing available for rent by seasonal/regular employees, or are you "on your own" finding housing in the area? If there IS Disney housing, what is the usual cost of that? If there is NOT Disney housing available, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

As far as attractions, are there any special considerations they take with such rides as Jungle Cruise and Great Movie Ride, which have very long spiels? (sp?) Can you somehow emphasize a desire to work on such rides, if doing attractions?

...and finally, the question you all get bombarded with. Character Auditions. Of course, I have a relatively...unorthodox question in that respect. Have any of you noticed if physical attributes or size tends to affect casting, even in "fur" character positions? Also, with the face auditions, how picky are they, exactly? I would adore very, very, very honest answers with that one. I don't believe I'm "princess" material, exactly, but I'm thinking that, perhaps, a stepsister wouldn't be a far stretch.

Wow, that was a mouthful...at any rate, for any of you reading this/answering me, thank you SO MUCH for your time! It is appreciated more than I can tell you.

-CMouse
    Last edited by CaribbeanMouse; 06-19-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Somehow I can't believe there are many heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage and Constancy, and the greatest is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe it all over, implicitly and unquestioningly."

--- Walt Disney

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanMouse View Post
    I'm interested in working at WDW, (as if that needed to be stated.) I would LOVE to do the college program, but that seems like a bad idea for me at the moment. I'm currently a double-major, and my school would probably not take the credit from the CP. I can't really afford to risk losing my financial aid, and would rather graduate on time, since its going to take me a while anyways. I don't know that I can afford to take a semester off to do the CP.
    Of course, that brings up my first question: Can recently graduated seniors/students going for post-grad degrees be in the CP?
    Yes. As long as you are a student when you apply, you can do the CP. For example: I should (hopefully) be graduating in May. So I will be applying for Fall Advantage 2009, which starts right after I would (hopefully) be graduating.

Now, from looking at other options, it looks like seasonal employment might be a good option. I have heard that for seasonal, you have to work 6-8 weeks your first time, then at least 2 weeks per year to stay on the payroll. I have also heard you must work 6-8 weeks every time, to remain seasonal. Can someone clear up the seasonal employment requirements for me?
    Oh, and can you be in entertainment (I'm thinking specifically characters, here) and be in seasonal? When you come back for your next seasonal span, are you still in that character, or do you have to re-audition?
    To be seasonal, you need at least 2 weeks for training, ect. Then the amount of time after that depends on your role/location.

Yes, you can be in entertainment and be seasonal. And no, you would not have to re-audition (unless it was over a year between shifts).

If I'm wanting seasonal, and I live out of state, I still go down to the Casting Center to apply, correct? Is there any time frame that you need to go during, relating to your availability time? As in...let's see...if I wanted to work seasonal this coming summer, is going down during my Christmas break to interview too early/too late?
    Yes, you go to the Casting Center to apply.

Also, I've come across the term "casual employment." What does this mean, and what are the requirements?
    It's one of the seasonals. I can't remember if it is the regular seasonal (where you work something like 1 day a week) or the seasonal where you work like 5 times a year.

I was also wondering about housing. I know that the CP and a few internships have housing from Disney, but is there Disney housing available for rent by seasonal/regular employees, or are you "on your own" finding housing in the area? If there IS Disney housing, what is the usual cost of that? If there is NOT Disney housing available, does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    No, the only Disney housing is for the CPs and some of the PIs.

As far as attractions, are there any special considerations they take with such rides as Jungle Cruise and Great Movie Ride, which have very long spiels? (sp?) Can you somehow emphasize a desire to work on such rides, if doing attractions?
    You can request to work a speiling attraction. It all depends on if there is room.

...and finally, the question you all get bombarded with. Character Auditions. Of course, I have a relatively...unorthodox question in that respect. Have any of you noticed if physical attributes or size tends to affect casting, even in "fur" character positions? Also, with the face auditions, how picky are they, exactly? I would adore very, very, very honest answers with that one. I don't believe I'm "princess" material, exactly, but I'm thinking that, perhaps, a stepsister wouldn't be a far stretch.
    It does for some. But for most, size doesn't matter (well, besides height anyway).

Yes, they are quite picky for Face.

Wow, that was a mouthful...at any rate, for any of you reading this/answering me, thank you SO MUCH for your time! It is appreciated more than I can tell you.

-CMouse
    Hopes this helps.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

CaribbeanMouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    It definitely does! Thank you so much!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Somehow I can't believe there are many heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage and Constancy, and the greatest is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe it all over, implicitly and unquestioningly."

--- Walt Disney

You're welcome.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

mowgli is offline A-Ticket holder

Red face

-CMouse

Hi! Just about the face thing, I was talking with a cast member from one of the many Disney tours, and he said he first tried out to be a face character. They pretty much picked out every flaw in his face on why he can't be a face character. He said that they are very strict and say that the blunt truth about your looks so you won't come back, LOL. This makes Disney sound horrible but the way he described it was really entertaining and funny. He still loves Disney btw. :x

Pirate_Princess is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    Hi! Just about the face thing, I was talking with a cast member from one of the many Disney tours, and he said he first tried out to be a face character. They pretty much picked out every flaw in his face on why he can't be a face character. He said that they are very strict and say that the blunt truth about your looks so you won't come back, LOL. This makes Disney sound horrible but the way he described it was really entertaining and funny. He still loves Disney btw. :x
    That doesn't work out now adays. They will not tell you why you are not approved for a face character. So, it's go in and get fitted or no fitting at all, with no explination.
    Princess Jen (AKA: Pirate Princess)
    Dead men tell no tales.
    Remember, all you need to do is just BELIEVE!

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    That's show biz for you, and probably why a lot of people in "the biz" has a lot of plastic in their face because too many people mentioned how they hate the shadow that their nose casts, and so on. By the way, you have cheeks like a squirrel, so you should be either Chip or Dale

Disney Darling is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hello everyone!

After googling until my fingers are prematurely arthritic, I've decided to see if any of the CMs who frequent this board could answer my questions a little better. I'm hoping so, since some of my questions I can't find answers for at all!

-CMouse
    I'm cracking up because I know just what you're talking about!! One Sunday I searched and searched and searched looking for answers about employment as a seasonal cast member.

Today, I was at it again but my question is a bit different as I'm not a CPer. Not even close. I work at a University but as a staff member and my days of being a college student are long gone.

I want to be seasonal because I have this unexplainable desire to work for the Mouse however, we're settled in here with decent careers and DH is not looking to move anytime soon. We too live out of state.

The reason I even considered seasonal was because of a professors suggestion that Disney does hire seasonal because her daughter (who had been in the college program) was still kept on as seasonal and she still goes down and works a long weekend every so often and she thought it'd be great for me.

I get a week off at Christmas and other holidays throughout the year and we're fairly close to Florida

Oh, and speaking of the professor's daughter and the question about where you stay. . . she either stays with friends or gets a room at Pop Century for a few nights while she works.

So, any ideas on how seasonal would work if you've NOT been in the CP?

Thanks for any help you might have and I 'm so glad I found this thread.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Just go to the casting center and apply like everyone else, say you'd want seasonal, no need to have been CP beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Darling View Post
    So, any ideas on how seasonal would work if you've NOT been in the CP?

Thanks for any help you might have and I 'm so glad I found this thread.
    You don't have to have done the CP to be seasonal.

Disney Darling is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    You don't have to have done the CP to be seasonal.
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    Just go to the casting center and apply like everyone else, say you'd want seasonal, no need to have been CP beforehand
    Thank you so much for replying!

I hate to sound stupid, but would you guys mind expounding a bit more? I don't mind calling casting or even going to casting but I'd like as much information as possible so I don't look like a dummy.

Do you know, or have you known, people that weren't CPer's but were seasonal? Do you think they'd mind some emailing or PMing to give a little bit of an idea of "the ropes"? I mean, I've read stories about the retirees that move down there for 3 to 6 months of the year (every year) and are seasonal but I live two states away with a full time job and want to do it. I know they work around the professor's daughter's schedule but I always thought it's because she had an "in".

How much time do you need to be able to go through training? Would you have to take a 6-week sabbatical (not really an option)?

I just really want to know as much info as possible and I'm having a heck of a time finding anything.

THANKS!!

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    I'm curious as well as I might be going up to casting next week.

Yes, I have heard of people just being seasonal. I believe to be seasonal, you just need 2-3 weeks down in FL for training. Then you just need to work a certain amount of days in a year to keep your status. It differs by role and location.

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Is that two or three weeks straight?
    I was also curious if if you get your ID, training and what not right then or if they let you do it before you start your working hours.
    I live in Tampa and want to be a seasonal cast member, but am leaving for college in Spokane soon. I want to get through the paperwork before I leave in august, so I can come back for my month and a half winter break and summer break in '09.
    Sorry with the ton of questions, I'm hoping to visit casting in two weeks.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Ahhhh someone stole my name!

As a freshman in college I tried out to play Cinderella. My measurments were perfect but they told me my face was too round (as opposed to the more desiarable heart shaped). My self esteem has been reeling ever since...ok, maybe not
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast