Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cast Members Discuss Is it still magical for you? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; While this question is commonly asked... The answer is something I don't think many people would expect to hear. Having been a CM since January of 2010 it's almost been ...
    wdwmike1988 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Is it still magical for you?

While this question is commonly asked... The answer is something I don't think many people would expect to hear. Having been a CM since January of 2010 it's almost been a full year since I first started working at WDW... That being said I can honestly say that the magic will always be there for me and that is because as a CM you create the magic that the guests get to experience on a daily basis. With things like magical moments and just some of the guests and families you get to interact with it's very hard to lose that magical feeling that Disney gives you.
    "If we can dream it... We can do it."

Spring 2010 CP Graduate and current CM!

Donald Duck is offline B-Ticket Holder

Your experiences can change your attitude for the better or worse. There were days where I just had a very, very rotten time, and still tried to spread magic. Imagine getting a reprimand because you had no choice but to call in sick because of your roommates messing around with the thermostat every 30 minutes. I had to call in sick a few times because of that, and ended up getting a bloody reprimand! Twice! I tried to explain to the managers that 1) I was actually sick. I wasn't trying to play hooky, like some kids used to do at school; why would I? I needed the money to pay rent, so it would actually hurt me to lose that money, 2) I was in no shape to even get on a bus. I almost passed out once on the bus while I was sick (I got sick on the bus; I felt "fine" before getting on,) and next thing I knew, I was at the nearest clinic. To this day, I don't remember how I got there. And finally 3) I tried to explain that I was also looking out for the well-being of my fellow Cast Members. It wouldn't at all have been fair for me to go into work while sick, and put my fellow Cast Members AND the Guests at risk of picking up whatever I had. Plus, since I had already transferred to ODF at that time, going in while sick would've posed another health risk; you do NOT touch food while you are ill. That is just asking for trouble, and the Health Department would be all over my managers if they wanted me to work while sick. So in light of all that, I was depressed for awhile. I felt that I was getting punished for looking out for people's safety, as well as my own. It felt as if they were trying to send the message that doing the right thing isn't doing the right thing.

But, in spite of all that, I still felt like I finally belonged somewhere. I finally fit in at long last. I was usually the kid who got bullied at school, for a variety of reasons. Try being the only Italian kid with a German-like appearance at a predominately Hispanic school, or having an IQ of 120. How my peers found out about that is something else I have yet to ascertain. But getting back on topic. For the first time in my life, I finally found a place where people are accepting of you. I had *some* bad experiences, but the good far outweighed the bad. So nothing changed for the worse. In fact, I'm trying to go back down for another Program, and possibly see if I can go FT.
    Program 1- May 09-Jan-10- Custodial-WWS
    Deployment- Epcot- Food&Wine Festival
    Shades of Green- Children's Miracle Network Classic
    Hollywood Studios- Christmas Season- Osborne Dancing Lights Festival
    Program 2- Jan 10-May 10- ODF-MK
    Next Program- Coming to a theme park very soon

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder

It's funny this thread is still going because a buddy and me were talking about it last night. I believe that if you are the type of personality that is just happy go lucky to begin with, you won't lose the magic.

Why would you even consider working for a place like Disney if you didn't love the place to begin with? It would seem like a waste of time if you didn't like it. Yes, I imagine there would be times that you wouldn't feel 100% into it, but this is where other people keep moving forward (this was intentional) because you create experiences for people that they never forget.

From cleaning toilets to being Mickey Mouse people go to Disney because of the full experience. I am always amazed at the interaction I have from the janitorial staff all the way to the management staff. It's why I love Disney.

seanmacaulay is offline A-Ticket holder

ABSOLUTELY! I was an attractions CP'er in the Fall of '08; first in OMD and then over in TSMM in Disney's Hollywood Studios. I, like many of us, have been raised in the WDW Resort. My experiences as a CM have been some of the best times of my life, so far. It is incredibly gratifying to go to "work" about every day knowing that what you are doing is beneficial to someone else's happiness. I can honestly say that, at times it was stressful, I never had a bad day at work during my program. I never once woke up and dreaded the fact that later in the day I had to show up to the parks, punch a clock and do my task (which is a feeling I have since experienced, and experience now, while working my way through school).

As for losing the "magic", I wouldn't say that. I have a different look at the parks now, than I did since I know how things work and who people are, even if their faces are different. I think I have a heightened sense of sentimentality in the parks now as it is a sort of tangible object and place that is attached to times that I will never relive with people that, thanks to facebook I still talk to, but, I probably will never be face to face with again. It is incredibly special to me.

I still feel uncomfortable with the idea of going to WDW without my sister and parents even though I worked there at least five days a week for six months!

One special thing about being a CP'er is that, in my case, I worked at one area of one of the parks. Yes I went backstage and saw things that an incredible amount of people will never see, and I will never tell anyone outside of my immediate family about. But thats just it. My real work experience in WDW was at One Man's Dream and Toy Story Midway Mania. The entire rest of the World was still, in a sense, left a mystery to me. On my off days when I went into the parks I still felt like a guest. No one, other than those other CP'ers and IP'ers that I knew around the parks, knew that I worked there, so I was able to enjoy everything the same as I would as if I never had worked there.

I'm sorry to be so long winded about this, but I'm really glad I replied. We went back this past summer, and it was definitely strange, but a good strange. Its unbelievable to think of the parks as a sort of time capsule. I walked around them with my family and could point out places where certain things happened with friends of mine, where conversations took place, where "so and so" worked, and all of those places are the exact same, but none of the people I knew are still there. I would expect to see them where they used to be, should have been, in my mind, and they weren't. They were back home in Puerto Rico, or Chicago, or Portugal, or Brasil, or Michigan. And this was a sad experience, but it was wonderful to have, because it showed me how much it meant to me to be a Cast Member and live many of our dreams for six months! This experience in the College Program really shaped my choices as to which degree in college I wanted to pursue. And, hopefully, within the next couple of years I will graduate with a degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management and find myself, again, working inside the happiest place on Earth.

As for those upset guests some of you mentioned: they exist. But if you work for something or someone that you truly love you find that it really doesn't bother you. For every one unhappy person there are literally thousands that you encounter that are thrilled to be there. Though, looking back, I'll bet those unhappy faces that I encountered were just overtakers. Thanks for allowing me to share this with you!

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by newdrama12 View Post
    I worked in attractions in Tomorrowland and the magic never left. But then, again, I would do ALOT of magic moments that not everyone that I worked with would do. So, I felt exactly the same as when I'm at work as when I was visiting on my days off. I'm not sure how exactly it would happen, but people would figure out on the Monorail over to MK that I was a CM and was ask me if I would show them around the park as a tour guide. Which was absolutely amazing, because I would normally be in the park by myself anyway. Plus when they wanted to do an attraction, they would ask me what to expect so that they could be sure that it won't scare everyone in the group too bad. But, of course I won't give them a walkthrough of the attraction and give everything away.

I think it all depends on the attitude of the person. I didn't work in the parks, but I did work for a Disney Store in the early 90's. I look back on those two years as some of the best years of my life. I enjoyed going to work, and the castmembers use to go out almost every night after work. In the summer we'd go down to the Jersey Shore when we closed early on Sunday. (And no, the Jersey Shore is not like you see on TV). I've never hung out with my co-workers that much before or since. We really enjoyed what we did. I keep in touch with a few of them now through Facebook.

Sure, there were some not so pleasant situations. For instance, we had what we called "Staten Island Sunday" when it seemed that all of Staten Island emptied out into NJ for the day. Staten Islanders can be... well let's just say they can be hard to please. I hated being the store greeter on Sundays because I would usually get a dirty look in return. One guy went as far as asking me if I knew him. When I said "no" he said "then don't say 'hi' to me." I apologize to any Staten Islanders, but you know you can be a rough bunch. I know, because I'm married to one.

But there were plenty of times when the guests were great and were genuinely excited to be in the store. I always heard "it's like having a little bit of Disney World in NJ."

[Side note: this post puts my status at B-Ticket holder. Yea!]

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Hello all!
    I am a current Disney Store CM. I spent 30 yrs. in architecture. Needless to say, that was a very rewarding, but VERY stressful career. Central Texas, as well as projects in other states (Colorado, Utah, South Carolina, Minnesota, and even Florida, among others), is filled with homes, etc., that I either designed or codesigned.
    But, Although there can be stressful times at The Disney Store (can you say "Magical Friday"? - a term I came up with during my first experience with one - for instance), it is, by far, the best "job" I've erver had!
    Making Disney Magic is one of the things I truely live for. It is, And always will be, one of my greatest joys! DW and myself even plan to retire as CM's at WDW...!
    Everything I now know and have experienced over the past almost 2 yrs. has only enhanced the Magic for me. Nothing is perfect, of course, but even those situations have promted me to ponder, suggest, or enact "Magical" solutions and it can really lead to some awesome results...!
    And, as I am always relating to guests, as well, when they mention that our Store is like a little bit of WDW, DLR, etc.... "Our Disney Store is a close as your're gonna' get here in Austin, Texas...!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

I want to work there so badd and had the opportunity too with my friend who has been there for three years. She loves every bit of it and that was prob the biggest mistake in my young life, but I still can try to get there
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

missdaisy23 is offline A-Ticket holder

Great question!!
    I worked in entertainment. People would think I lost ALL the magic for obvious reasons. However, it is quite the opposite for me!! Disney became even more magical to me!! Making magical memories for families of all shapes and sizes, Make-A-Wish children, family of your own, your friends, and yourself is what my job was all about!! I mean, how cool is it to go play in the parks and when you go to see Mickey he acts really excited and says he knows and loves me?! I just love knowing that I created long lasting memories for people ALL over the world!! I cannot say enough amazing things about my job there and to be honest....I am tearing up right now thinking about it!! That job was truly a wish come true <3
    I hope this helps

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

The magic never left. I hated that I had to leave my my job at WDW, and then I was really upset that I had to eventually move away from FL all together. I havent been back since my move to NY, but I have high hopes to be back soon!! Any time I go to the parks I feel nostalgic now, everything there was a tremendous part of my life, and I miss it everyday
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

The Magic went on life support for me recently. I've been away from everything Disney for almost three months.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    The Magic went on life support for me recently. I've been away from everything Disney for almost three months.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

I went to the Disney Store at the Woodbury Commons Outlet shopping mall last week and I was horrified at how the CM's there hardly seemed to care about the magic at all. They seemed like they were working at a Kmart or something....
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It's a long story. I'm still not to the point where I used to be where I lived and breathed all things Disney.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    I went to the Disney Store at the Woodbury Commons Outlet shopping mall last week and I was horrified at how the CM's there hardly seemed to care about the magic at all. They seemed like they were working at a Kmart or something....
    I see that a lot at the 3 Disney Stores I visit. On call, but don't get paid if they don't call you. Dealing with guests that are in a mall vs at Disney, lack of any real traditions courses, I think most stores training is for retail not the be our guest theme. I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    It's a long story. I'm still not to the point where I used to be where I lived and breathed all things Disney.
    Well color me curious. A chunk of us have or are waddling down that path as of late.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

I'll send you a PM and explain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast