Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cast Members Discuss Is it still magical for you? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Don't know if this has been asked before. We all wonder what it would be like to work for Disney. There are many, many different jobs in the organization. But ...
    Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Is it still magical for you?

Don't know if this has been asked before. We all wonder what it would be like to work for Disney. There are many, many different jobs in the organization. But after a while of working there, say in WDW resort, is the magic still there? Do you still feel the same way as you did when you were just visiting? What changes? What doesn't?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I worked in attractions in Tomorrowland and the magic never left. But then, again, I would do ALOT of magic moments that not everyone that I worked with would do. So, I felt exactly the same as when I'm at work as when I was visiting on my days off. I'm not sure how exactly it would happen, but people would figure out on the Monorail over to MK that I was a CM and was ask me if I would show them around the park as a tour guide. Which was absolutely amazing, because I would normally be in the park by myself anyway. Plus when they wanted to do an attraction, they would ask me what to expect so that they could be sure that it won't scare everyone in the group too bad. But, of course I won't give them a walkthrough of the attraction and give everything away.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    Don't know if this has been asked before. We all wonder what it would be like to work for Disney. There are many, many different jobs in the organization. But after a while of working there, say in WDW resort, is the magic still there? Do you still feel the same way as you did when you were just visiting? What changes? What doesn't?
    I have been working for Disney on and off for over 3.5 years now (I did my first CP starting Jan 2005, and have been there in some sort of role ever since). I would have to say the magic is still there for me. In fact, it may be stronger then ever. I love working for WDW. I plan on going FT there once I graduate school (hopefully in May).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think this was a great question. I have wanted to work for WDW ever since my trip in 2005. I think my biggest fear would be to start working there then somehow start to feel differently about the place. Let's face it. Although WDW is the happiest place on earth sometimes people feel the need to be rude and condescending to CM's. I get disgusted when I see it and usually tell the CM sorry even though I had nothing to do with it. So with that said I would hate to start a great career only to have the magic feel of WDW fade simply because you are there day in and day out rather than 2 times a year for vacation. Great question...

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Your views are going to change of the parks, but it's up to you whether those are good changes or bad changes, either way you would never feel the same way about the parks after you've worked for them. After working for Disney, I've got to see what it's like on the inside, and what really goes on. Not really a big shock to me since I pretty much had a feeling what really went on, but the thing that really bothered me was how they'd show you how great Disney is, and what they do that's different than everyone else, and then start talking about their synergy plans which is pretty much the "milking a concept or franchise dry" by not only having the great TV series or movie, but also adding several sequels, a prequel, merchandise, merchandise, merchandise, etc. From talking about how great of a man Walt was to come up with this wonderful place, to what they're doing now really disgusts me, to be honest with you, but that didn't stop me from enjoying my job in the jungle. Even though the pay stunk, the managment wasn't that great, was overworked, tired, and got yelled at by plenty of dumb tourists, I still loved working there because despite all that, I still make people smile and laugh and brighten their day. I'm sure if Disney did go back to the way how Walt ran it, I'm sure a lot of CM's would do a MUCH better job at providing excellent service than they do now.

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I think it made it more magical for me to be honest. I always loved Disney but after working there, I LOVED Disney! You get to meet so many people for so many different places. I left the college program in 2003 and Ive since then finished my college degree and have been working my way back into the company. My dream is to go back to work for Disney.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone View Post
    I think this was a great question. I have wanted to work for WDW ever since my trip in 2005. I think my biggest fear would be to start working there then somehow start to feel differently about the place. Let's face it. Although WDW is the happiest place on earth sometimes people feel the need to be rude and condescending to CM's. I get disgusted when I see it and usually tell the CM sorry even though I had nothing to do with it. So with that said I would hate to start a great career only to have the magic feel of WDW fade simply because you are there day in and day out rather than 2 times a year for vacation. Great question...
    Youre going to have rude people no matter where you go. The trick is being able to recognize that, and do everything in your power to remedy the situation. Some people just can't be pleased. I had a woman ask to speak to my manager one time because I wouldn't sell her an umbrella......because we were out of them. But Im being completely honest when I say that those kinds of people are VERY rare. 99% of the time you will be faced with people on vacation.....theyre happy, theyre excited, and that makes you happy and excited.
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder
    For me it came to where I was working. I just finished the 2008 Fall Advantage CP program and I worked at CHH in the Magic Kingdom and the Food and Wine festival for a month at Epcot. After having had worked at Magic Kingdom for five months in the beginning I started to get a little tired of it (I stayed in the park after my shift ended everyday) and so I avoided it on my days off. But then when I went to work at Epcot (my favorite park) I never got bored of the park meaning it never lost its magic. So really I think it depends on how long you work and where you work. Hypothetically speaking I suppose the best place to work would be one of the hotels because then you dont run the risk of being over exposed to any of the parks in particular
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Disney05, this is an excellent question!! And one I have been wondering myself. It is my dream to someday work for Disney, and I always wonder if the cast members are really as happy there as they seem, and if they still love it as much as they did before it was a "job." I just can't imagine it being anything but wonderful!!! But work is still work, and most people I know don't like their job, so I always wondered...I'm glad to see most of you seem to still love it there and "feel the magic" even after working there!
    Last edited by eeyoregirl13; 02-28-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Eeyoregirl13

justafigment is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have been at Disney going on 4 years now (between my CP and my seasonal status) and I haven't lost an ounce of the magic. Yes you have the rude people. But for every rude person there are at least 10 people who remind you why your job is magical. I can still go into the parks and see it through a guests eyes but at the same time I see the stuff that a CM sees. That is why I love going with my DH because he still sees the parks as a guest and it always makes me smile when he is enjoying the little things.
    Proud to be a Disney Entertainment Cast Member

"Welcome to Stitch Kingdom"

:"You just need Faith, Trust and a little bit of Pixie Dust.":

Ominusrex is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Is it still magical for you?

One of the greatest treasures in this world is to have a job you absolutely love and enjoy ! I do not have that luxury( no i don't work for Disney not that it's the only enjoyable career or job choice) , i am truly happy for those of you who do. It somehow gives me hope to know it's possible .

ydonohue is offline A-Ticket holder

I LOVED working there, the managers I had, the people, everything!! My managers knew I was quiet, so they didn't do silly stuff like say happy birthday over the radio or anything like they did with fellow cast members. I think the only problem I had, (and this wasn't with people in my dept!) was nosy people or some who just didn't like me, simply because I decided to date someone in the same park I was in, and they liked him or just thought he could do better. I'm not saying don't do it, but definately crossing professional work life and personal life, you're going to have some issues.

As for guests, yeah I met some cranky ones, but I didn't let it affect me. I loved MGM, we always had fun stuff going on and I got to work star wars weekends and cool stuff like that! I really think it's all where you work and what you're doing. Also, quick service food is not that bad!! I know, some think oh selling ice cream, popcorn, or pretzels is probably really boring, but it wasn't! You get to be outside in the fresh air all day long and meet really cool people.

cavaliers60 is offline A-Ticket holder

For me, the magic is still there. As long as we have great employees making magical moments, it is a very magical place.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

A cast member can have such a dramatic impact on a family's vacation! I remember each and every kind act and special attention that each one of them has granted me while on property. Here's to hoping they know how important they really are and knowing they keep the Magic alive.

voyageofariel is offline Annual Passholder

Smile Re: Is it still magical for you?

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast