Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Cast Members Discuss Got a job at The Disney Store in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I worked at a Disney Store in the early 90s. Oh my gosh did I hate our outfits! Those awful tan pants and the pantyhose and the white oxford shirts ...
    Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I worked at a Disney Store in the early 90s. Oh my gosh did I hate our outfits! Those awful tan pants and the pantyhose and the white oxford shirts and the terribly ugly teal sweaters even in the summer!!!!!! We sold so many more fabulous things back then. Now you go in there and there isn't anything for adults, no art, and no watches. It's really depressing. I loved getting a new Disney watch for Christmas every year, plus park tickets that I never actually got to use. You will hopefully have a lot of fun. I do not miss the day after Thanksgiving at the Disney Store. I remember just standing still against one of the jewelry spinners and praying I wouldn't get trampled. People would stand in line outside waiting to get the special beanie. I'm not sure they do that anymore.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    The most disappointing change I've seen in the Disney Stores in the UK is that the shirts are no longer having the city printed on the shirt. I have a shirt from London and from Edinburgh, but the shirt I would have bought in York did not have "York' written on it. They are keeping them generic so that they can sell them anywhere. I was planning to get a new London shirt this year since my old one is starting to get that washed out look.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    I worked at a Disney Store in the early 90s. Oh my gosh did I hate our outfits! Those awful tan pants and the pantyhose and the white oxford shirts and the terribly ugly teal sweaters even in the summer!!!!!! We sold so many more fabulous things back then. Now you go in there and there isn't anything for adults, no art, and no watches. It's really depressing. I loved getting a new Disney watch for Christmas every year, plus park tickets that I never actually got to use. You will hopefully have a lot of fun. I do not miss the day after Thanksgiving at the Disney Store. I remember just standing still against one of the jewelry spinners and praying I wouldn't get trampled. People would stand in line outside waiting to get the special beanie. I'm not sure they do that anymore.

Lucky you I had to wear those God awful grey skirts with the ugly teal sweater that made us look like derange mousketteers and I start off as a greeter. I do miss plush mountain and yeah all the good stuff they use to selll. They only have kids stuff and hardly any adult stuff anymore.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

o8catrina8o is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thumbs up Yayayayay

jsut wanted to say i know how awsome the feeling is when get to work for disney and i just want to say congrats and hope u have fun

keep us posted
    1993 - Dolphin
    1995- Aunt House
    1997- Off Site
    1999- Off Site
    2000- Coronodo Springs
    2002- Port Orleans and All Star
    2003- Off Site
    2004- Off Site - Christmas Time
    2005- Pop Century -Christmas Time
    2005 -Carribean Beach - DIsney Wonder
    2005- Disneyland- Spring Break
    2006- Pop Century - Halloween
    2006- Polynesian - My High Graduation
    2007 - Pop Century
    2007- All Star Sport- Christmas TIme
    2008 - Port Orleans
    2009 - Disney Land

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    Okay im applying at our Disney Store in Buffalo NY. I want to make money for christmas and this is my only way. I love disney so the discount cant hurt either!!!!! Handing in my application tomorrow. its the closest i will get to being a CM until i can convince hubby to move to disney world so keep yur fingers crossed!
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

AlexiBeauty is offline A-Ticket holder

My 2 cents

I think your experience depends on the store. I just got a job at the Exton Mall near me and all the CM's are huge Disney fans. They try to embody the Disney spirit and pass it along to our guests despite the fact that we are no longer owned by Disney. As Many Have said, its the closest I will get to working for the Disney company since I live in PA.

In regards to what is carried in store, my store carries adult clothes - some nice stuff actually- including watches and accessories. We also carry some character canvases and items from the Disney Home Collections.

Just my thoughts
    Been to WDW 11 times....

Going back for MNSSHP October 2007!!!
    10/07 POFQ*02/05 ASM*01/04 Off Site ('rents house in FL)*09/02 Off Site (time share) Honeymoon*08/98 FW*08/96 FW*
    08/94 FW*08/92 FW*08/90 FW*08/88 FW*08/86 FW*08/84 FW*08/82 FW
    I come from a long line of Disney nuts...

Me: DH:

WaltDisneyFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've noticed it, too I remember the Disney store when I was a kid (90's), and although it's vague, I remember it being a lot cooler than it is now. There were tons of plushes and the whole place was themed. Now it's just like any other store selling Disney stuff...

aurora&goofy is offline B-Ticket Holder
    yay! that's awesome
    and

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't know why, but I feel the need to point out that the Walt Disney company is not the only corporation that calls its employees "cast members". In fact, when I went to Busch Gardens in Virginia last year, they too called their employees Cast Members. So in that respect, I see nothing wrong with The Children's Place still referring to Disney Store employees as Cast Members, even if they aren't officially Walt Disney Co Cast Members.

I heartpeterpan is offline "Just Keep Swimming"
    I had many good memorys working for my Disney Store in Boise Idaho i was a cast member there for 3 Holiday Seasons it was a very fun job for a Disney Lover just like me. The girls i worked with made it lots of fun we even had a Disney movie night at my house one night and watched The Princess Diaries and Marry Poppins, we had some good times.
    Disney Family Vacation 2006 -POP Century

Disney Honeymoon 2007- Dolphin

Disney Graduation/Anniversary Celebration 2010 Caribbean Beach

pink_minnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by I heartpeterpan View Post
    I had many good memorys working for my Disney Store in Boise Idaho i was a cast member there for 3 Holiday Seasons it was a very fun job for a Disney Lover just like me. The girls i worked with made it lots of fun we even had a Disney movie night at my house one night and watched The Princess Diaries and Marry Poppins, we had some good times.

Way to bring the magic back home with you! And congratulations to all the new Disney Store Cast Members!

I remember the Disney Store when it first opened in my hometown mall back in the early '90s and it was amazing. The entire store was themed beautifully and they had just about anything you could want. They did have a bigger and better selection of adult attire as well as framed animation cells, snowglobes, and other collector's pieces for purchase. Next thing I knew, the entire store was dedicated to children's attire and toys and became a disappointment for anyone over the age of 10. Concord Mills (in Concord, NC) just opened a Disney Store and I look forward to wandering inside sometime this weekend to check it out in preparation for my family's big vacation in a few weeks!

Just a side note: Does anyone remember receiving the Disney Catalog in the mail??? I miss that!
    "When you believe a thing, believe it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."
    - Walt Disney

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Tikikrissy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I was a Disney Store Cast Member from 1989-1995 and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life! It was so exciting back then - we were so excited to bring the magic to peoples' home towns.

I live in Burbank, CA and still have lots of friends who work at the Store (both at corporate and in the field). It's not the same for sure, but they do have some great merchandise sometimes. The people who work there are still called CAST MEMBERS, though. They advertise the positions on the official Disney career page.

It's sad that the stores changed so much - any "old timers" on here will know what I mean! I miss my sweater and the skirts! I was mad when we switched to those khaki shorts! I loved the sing-a-long laser disc, doing plush mountain, talking to guests all day long about Disney and of course MICKEY VISITS! Those were the best.
    Last edited by Tikikrissy; 01-18-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
    It was all started by a mouse!

disney_molly is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am planning on applying at the Disney Store at the Santa Anita mall within the next few months. My plans are kind of up in the air, though, because I might go to Europe for graduation (I'd rather go to Disneyworld :|).
    How difficult is it to be hired?
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."
    -Walt DIsney
    WDWCP Hopeful, Spring Advantage 2009
    Look me up on myspace!
    myspace.com/missmooseisloose

Yoakamone is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yes I remember the Disney Catalog I used to get in the mail!! I so totally miss that! I used to pour over the pages for hours when I was a kid and circle all the things I wanted to buy. I actually think I still have a couple of them from the early 90's in the basement... too bad they got rid of those.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoakamone View Post
    Yes I remember the Disney Catalog I used to get in the mail!! I so totally miss that! I used to pour over the pages for hours when I was a kid and circle all the things I wanted to buy. I actually think I still have a couple of them from the early 90's in the basement... too bad they got rid of those.
    Me too. I forgot about the catalog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast