Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Celebrations Magazine Discuss Celebrations Magazine in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Originally Posted by harra But, when it comes to entertainment-based publications, I cannot think of any that come in bags unless they are doing as you said, putting extra stuff ...
    Andre is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    But, when it comes to entertainment-based publications, I cannot think of any that come in bags unless they are doing as you said, putting extra stuff in there that they don't want to fall out.
    Really? US magazines are just dropped into the postal system "as is", with no packaging at all, and a label stuck right on the product itself? I would ideally have expected a proper rigid paper envelope, or at the very least a thick plastic wrapper - with the address label on the OUTSIDE, not on the product. Do US mail-order retailers (Amazon/etc) ship books and DVDs and other smaller items that way too? It would never have even occurred to me that they might do that.

As another poster has said, this looks a very lavish publication and is certainly one that I intend to keep, tidily and safely. In this case though, I'm lucky I got the inside at all, as what was left of the cover was completely separated from the rest of it.

My comments on the layout were rather general "first impression" thoughts, and I'm sure that won't stop me from enjoying the content! I hope what I said will be taken constructively, it was not for one moment my intention to nit-pick what has obviously been a real labour of love. However, just for the record, I did spend a number of years (in what these days feels like a previous life!) as a magazine editor.

I guess my overall feeling is that it needs more illustrative content to break up the blocks of text - perhaps in a three-column layout? Features on pin collecting and photography (for example) are just crying out to have more than a single picture to illustrate them - especially given how great Tim's photos are. Oh, and that goes for restaurant reviews too!

Anyway, well done everyone for getting issue one out there - I'm certainly looking forward to more!

Andre
    Last edited by Andre; 11-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Silver Britches is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yeah, I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the magazine is taking longer to arrive in Florida than the UK. (This isn't really a complaint about the magazine, just me being frustrated because I want to read it!) And both of the other magazines I get come unwrapped, too, and half the time they are in pretty bad shape, so unfortunately that's not abnormal.

Maybe I should just take the 30 min. drive over to WDW for my fix!

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Really? US magazines are just dropped into the postal system "as is", with no packaging at all, and a label stuck right on the product itself? I would ideally have expected a proper rigid paper envelope, or at the very least a thick plastic wrapper - with the address label on the OUTSIDE, not on the product.
    Every magazine we receive at this house (with the exception of the aforementioned medical journals) come to the house with no protective wrapper or envelope. As Flutter has stated future magazines, we hear, are going to be bagged.

Heck, even subscription newspapers (i.e. The Wall Street Journal) go through the mail without protective coverings.

I cannot speak as to postal regulations outside the US. I do know that mail was dealt with differently when I lived in South East Asia.

My observation is that the USPS mechanical systems aren't very nice with mail. I had a client mail me one of those key fobs that generate random numbers so you can log into VPN systems and the USPS delivered the envelope and it was empty. Apparently, their machines squeeze the fob out the end of the envelope and blew out like a gag cigar. There was no way that one couldn't look at the envelope and notice that something was missing from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I guess my overall feeling is that it needs more illustrative content to break up the blocks of text - perhaps in a three-column layout? Features on pin collecting and photography (for example) are just crying out to have more than a single picture to illustrate them - especially given how great Tim's photos are. Oh, and that goes for restaurant reviews too!
    I agree Tim Devine's photos are Fantasmic!, but I'm biased because he's my brother from another mother....LOL Heck our families have been known to vacation together and not kill each other. He had the lion's share of the pictures in the magazine. Real tribute to his photographic talent
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    I've not had chance to read the magazine since it arrived yesterday (its at Mom's house) but my first reaction was 'its more like a book!'. Over in the UK very very few magazines have so many pages, it was a wonderful surprise.
    And i do agree that the journey over the the UK took a little wear and tear on the mag, and that the stickers on the front did take the edge off the whole beauty, but i'm just gonna consider that proof that its an original that came with the teething troubles all great magazines start with!
    Its great, i love it, and so glad we subscribed!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

kparker is offline A-Ticket holder
    We must be spoilt in Australia, apart from a catalogue sent from the States everything I ever receive with multiple pages comes in an envelope or plastic bag. I thought it was really strange when I got the catalogue without an envelope but obviously that's a common occurrence for you guys. I still haven't received my magazine yet (which I totally expect considering how far away I am) but after reading everyone's comments I'm concerned that it might not get here in a readable state. It has quite a journey to make!

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    I still need someone to check and see if I have paid for this or not....I thought I did, but don't have a paypal confirmation

I got engaged @ WDW 1/24/10

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I just ordered a back copy of issue one, so let's see how long it takes to get her.

hms1016 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by athenna View Post
    I still need someone to check and see if I have paid for this or not....I thought I did, but don't have a paypal confirmation
    I went to the website and emailed Tim. He was able to verify proof of payment and I am sure he could do this for you too. I am still waiting and hopefully it may be in the mail today.
    Walt Disney World
    June 1980 - Off Site
    June 1983 - Off Site
    June 1985 - Off Site
    June 1988 - Off Site
    September 2003 - All Star Music
    September 2005 - Pop Century
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2006 - Pop Century
    May 2007 - Pop Century
    October 2007 - Pop Century
    December 2007 - All Star Music
    May 2008 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Mousefest - Pop Century
    Disneyland
    May 2005
    June 2007

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    Quote Originally Posted by hms1016 View Post
    I went to the website and emailed Tim. He was able to verify proof of payment and I am sure he could do this for you too. I am still waiting and hopefully it may be in the mail today.

Oh, ok, great..Thanks for telling me!

I got engaged @ WDW 1/24/10

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I just ordered a back copy of issue one, so let's see how long it takes to get her.
    April,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think back-ordered copies are not shipped through the mailing house but via someone walking it to the USPS. All the overruns for back ordering went to Tim Foster's house.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    April,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think back-ordered copies are not shipped through the mailing house but via someone walking it to the USPS. All the overruns for back ordering went to Tim Foster's house.
    Cool. Maybe I'll email Tim and ask him to autograph it for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Cool. Maybe I'll email Tim and ask him to autograph it for me!
    If you are going to MouseFest, most of the contributors are going to be there and you can get almost everyone's autograph....haha You would just need to catch them at the MegaMeet
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Teleclashter is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by hms1016 View Post
    If you haven't received it yet you should. I'm just up north of you in Butler and apparently I received my copy today.

Silver Britches is offline A-Ticket holder
    Still nothing in FL!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Nothing in NY either, I ordered in the very beginning, so I expected to see it by now. Well, I guess tomorrow is another day!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast