Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Coupons and Discounts Discuss Best WDW Meal for the $$$???? in the Money Saving Tips / Budgeting forums; As I am heading out to the "World" again in a few days with my family, I have started planning our meals and it got me thinking-what is everyone's favorite ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

Best WDW Meal for the $$$????

As I am heading out to the "World" again in a few days with my family, I have started planning our meals and it got me thinking-what is everyone's favorite meal at Disney, in terms of best bang for your buck? It could be a counter service place or a fancy restaurant, but I was just wondering, where do you go in WDW to walk away from a meal feeling like whatever you just ate was worth every penny?
    I am talking value and quality and quantity...what comes to mind?
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    It depends on what you like. We have been to just about every restaurant on the property, but there's only a few we go to on a continuous basis.

One of our favorites that you don't hear much about is The Plaza Restaurant on Main Street in the MK. If you want to see a menu from there, check out this link:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_pr.htm

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_prk.htm (kids menu)

You can substitute the sides with anything they offer. Plus, their shakes are great! It's a small restaurant so you definitely need Priority Seating unless you want to dine during an off time.

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by wdw4us2; 01-24-2005 at 10:49 AM.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Hmmm... Best Bang for the buck, huh????.

Here's a couple of choices:

Crystal Palace - one of the better buffets, right in the MK, with character dining at a reasonable price
    Turkey Leg - 20 pounds of turkey for like $6
    Columbia Harboiur House and Flame Tree BBW - Two of the better counter service restaurants
    California Girll - not cheap by any means, but an excellent restaurant in a wonderful atmosphere. Never a disappointment
    50's Prime Time Cafe - Great comfort food and the "entertainment' is free and worth it!

That's jsut a few for now... hope that helps.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

Great to hear everyone's take on the best bang for your buck. I have eaten at many of the restaurants mentioned but I always like to hear other people's take on it, and I am always open to suggestions of new places to try! (convincing me 7 year old, of course, is a different story! )

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Since I travel with one of the world's pickiest eaters, I feel your pain....

The character breakfast at 'Ohana (Polynesian resort) was a particularly good value for the dollar. It's served family-style (no getting up to go to the buffet - they bring it to you), has great atmosphere, is laid-back and not rushed, and the characters were good, too (Mickey, Chip, Dale & Goofy in Polynesian garb).

Columbia Harbor House has been good as a counter service meal. Portions were large and tasty, and upstairs has some quieter seating areas.

Boma is a tough call - certainly could eat enough for the money, variety was good even with the dishes we couldn't identify. It may have been because we were stuck in a corner near the door, but I was let down by the atmosphere.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Probably Flame Tree BBQ - some of the best food on property, IMHO - and at counter service prices.

Other than that, I think the fresh fruit stands are a great deal - not a meal, but a snack. Nothing like a reasonably priced nice cold fresh apple or some melon to keep you from getting dehydrated, and refresh you.

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    An overall good bang for your buck for our family are the meal "plus" certificates that are offered in Animal Kingdom. The certificates are $5.99 for children and $11.99 for adults. The certificate have coupons that are good for 1 entree (w/a drink), 1 ice cream (or popcorn), and 1 additional bottled soda or water. The entrees can be redeemed at any counter restaurant in Animal Kingdom (Flame Tree BBQ is a personal fav) and the ice cream and drinks can be redeemed at any cart vendor in Animal Kingdom.

A child's meal in Animal Kingdom is between $3.49 and $3.79
    An Adult's entree can be around $7.50 to $9.00 (add in an extra $2 for the free drink)
    Ice Cream is from $2.50 - $3.50
    Drinks cost $2.50 - $3.00

The savings for a Child's Meal could be $4.30 and the savings for an Adult Meal could be more depending on what you get.

A tip that we discovered on this trip, that we are currently on, is that the certificates do not have to be used during the same day. They will tell you that, but when we talked to the vendors they said that there was no way of knowing when the certificates were purchased and they did not change colors at all. This allowed us to come back a different day and enjoy the free ice cream.

Another tip is that the vendors will allow you to substitute a drink coupon for an ice cream one and vice versa. Since we always have enough bottled water, we used our drink coupons for more ice cream.

I hope this helped a little.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games
    I've always heard that the Trails End Buffet at the Fort Wilderness Campground is one of the best values on property. You can check out the menu and pricing here: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_teb.htm
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

Thanks, I have not tried a lot of these things mentioned lately. My family really needs to try some new restaurants and other food options!!!

JackSkellington is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have to say for the dollar I thing Biergarten is EXCELLENT. We ate there and had a great time with my folks, bro (12), and sis (8) we all had a great time. It was about $20 for an adult I think. But it was a great experience.
    'Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas and all through the house,
    not a creature was peaceful,
    not even a mouse,
    The stockings all hung by the chimney with care,
    When opened that morning would cause such a scare,
    The children, nestled all snug in their beds,
    would have nightmares of monsters and skeleton heads.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Whispering Canyon in Wilderness Lodge, get the all-you-can-eat deal. good food, good price, and great atmosphere.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!

My thoughts

Ok, I think starting your day with a character meal is an awesome idea. Chef Mickey's is great and good food and good character interaction. We ate until we were STUFFED! And I didn't even want to think about lunch until nearly 3 that afternoon.
    50's Prime Time is a great place to eat as the portions are HUGE! You could easily share the friend chicken dinner with someone and then you could share desert! Make sure to eat your green beans though!
    Also, there are a few burger places around with the fixin's bar. You can make a killer hamburger with this - there is one (and the name escapes me) in the Magic Kingdom, past the Country Bears - almost always crowded, but there are lots of different rooms. Well, they have grilled onions and mushrooms and all kinds of stuff to make a gourmet burger!!!
    Hope you have a great time at the World!

TinkerbellRocks is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you like sandwiches, Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney was a great value. It tasted good, the price was reasonable, and you don't go away hungry.
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'July 18, 2005 5:30:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=fuchsia>Countdown to My 7th Magical Journey to WDW</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Hangin w/ the WDW crew!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

peterpan1106 is offline A-Ticket holder
    My kids swear by the Yakitori House in Japan and the fish and chips in England -- but they also like Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland where we can get a chicken and mashed potatoes -- and their new favorite has to be the Noodle House in Tomorrowland. I've been known to pick up cheese and fruit and a baguette from France and join them in the beautiful garden behind the Yakitori House. It's really speedy Japanese fast food, but there is a Shogun combo plate with a tempura shrimp -- beef, teriyaki chicken, white rice -- it's pretty reasonable. Of course, my girls (13 years old) will eat a bowl of rice with soy sauce for a snack!

One treat? We will go through the back gate in Epcot and have ice cream at Beaches and Cream (Beach Club) or a burger and fries -- or the girls like their chicken noodle soup. It is fun, an old fashioned soda shoppe and it is connected to the arcade next door (which could be a draw back for some). It can be crazy at dinner time, but in the afternoon, it's a nice respite from Epcot. The prices are pretty reasonable there, too.

Best for the price -- Yakitori House. We also either go to Norway or France and pick up pastries (croissants, cookies, etc.) for a late night treat, or early morning breakfast.
    Last edited by peterpan1106; 04-23-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    Back to Disney for Super Soap Weekend!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Trails End Buffet at the Fort Wilderness Campground is one of the best values on property.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast