Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Coupons and Discounts Discuss Annual Pass - Plastic Cards request! in the Money Saving Tips / Budgeting forums; There seems to be a growing sentiment among AP holder to move to a hugher quality, plastic card. I have even found what has become a "letter writing campaign" to ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Annual Pass - Plastic Cards request!

There seems to be a growing sentiment among AP holder to move to a hugher quality, plastic card.

I have even found what has become a "letter writing campaign" to move to a more rigid, plastic type card (much like Universal has done). (Even the MVMCP passes are plastic, and they only have to last three hours, not 365 days)

If you would like to voice your opinion, please send an e-mail to
    wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Request Annual Passes and Premium Annual Passes be converted over to PLASTIC cards and not to use flimsy, paper cards any longer.

Of course, be polite in your e-mail, and point out reasons such as:
    - less wear and tear
    - water proof
    - less likelihood of magnetic strip becoming worn
    - etc.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    you think Disney would do it for this side of the country, for one there are four parks here plus the water parks and DtD.

They use credit card plastic ones out at DL, well at least they did in 2001. And these had your picture on them and a bar code.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Where to start on this topic....

I do have a paper AP and like today, have to replace it several times a week. Taking up my valueable time in the parks and wasting money to print another one. I do go to the water parks often, I am not going to rent a $5 locker just to keep my ticket dry.

When at a resort they print several plastic cards for each room and then seconds later throw them out. E-ride and other special events are the same way. If it is so easy for them to print and trash these it should be just as easy to print them for AP's. It would also be nice to have your pic on them. Not that hard at all to do and would help with security etc.

I have written several letters to WDW before on this subject with no answer.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    Where to start on this topic....

I have written several letters to WDW before on this subject with no answer.
    Is this the start of The DisneyWorldTrivia.com Petition to WDW??
    Lou Mongello

I have been told recently that Disney is "looking into" the idea of more durable cards for AP.

What that means... I have no idea.
    Lou Mongello

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    Are the AP currently made out of paper like the Park Hoppers?
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

flutter is offline Moderator
    Actually the 7 day hopper pass I got for my daughter and hubby were plastic just my AP is paper..makes sense huh.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Bummer, I was hoping the APs would be plastic by now. I guess we'll need to take care of them when we get ours THIS FRIDAY!

BGW (Busch Gardens Williamsburg) charged us a fee to replace our lost season passes, does WDW charge for lost or damaged replacement APs?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    While perhaps not as durable as a plastic card, the current APs are not actually on paper - it's more of a tyvek/mylar material.

WDW won't charge a fee for damaged passes, but if you lose them quite often, you may be charged a nominal replacement fee (but I haven't heard of people actually being charged).

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    They are still useless when they get wet. I wish they would just go to plastic.

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    When I had an annual pass for Disneyland back in 2001, they were on credit card type plastic.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Having been an AP for some time now, I have wondered this since I was first issued a ticket. However, I never had reason to really pursue this until my last trip, when my MVMCP ticket was on hard plastic. Yes, a ticket that would be swiped once and never used again was made of durable plastic, as opposed to the cheap paper/teflon-like substance as my AP.

So, I finally asked a Lead at Guest Relations what the deal was, expecting an answer that just wouldn't satisfy me.

He explained that the plastic cards are quite expensive to produce (understandable), especially in relation to the plastic cards. He went on to state that the magnetic strips on the back are quite fragile, and often become unreadable (as we all know), partially because they contain so much information. So, rather than constaly replace the more expensive cards for guests (which would result in higher ticket prices, he explained), they use the cheaper cards which can be replaced as needed.

OK, so that makes some sense, I guess. But relatively speaking, they should give this higher quality card to guests who they know will be returning time after time. Just a nice perk, I would think. Plus, they should also have some sort of designation on them showing that you are an AP. (Kinda like a gold AMEX)

Just my 2 cents
    Lou Mongello

So this CM is saying they produce many more APs per year than they do hotel keys, special hard event tickets, and other media combined on plastic?

I'm not sure I buy the "plastic is more expensive" reasoning. I don't question the cost, but its use as a reason to not use them for APs especially when they issue how many hotel keys on plastic per year? I know a guy who works as a manager for a hotel chain and the plastic cards they use are pretty cheap according to him. So what is "expensive" versus "cheap" to Disney....a few cents?

Amanda

I don't make the news, I just report it.
    Lou Mongello

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I don't make the news, I just report it.
    Suuuuure you do Lou.

I'm with you, there's no reason us AP holders couldn't get a better ticket. I've had Season Passes (on and off for about 4-5 years) for both Six Flags (no more!) and Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and they have *always* been on plastic....and due to their location, these got swiped way more than my WDW passes will.
    Amanda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast