Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Are PS reservations getting impossible...or is it just me??? in the Vacation Planning forums; I know Lou had mentioned this on the PODCAST back in March, but I was just wonder what everyone elses thoughts were on the impossibility of getting reservations lately... I ...
    MICKEY BOSE is offline A-Ticket holder
    NY - 48 weeks a year...Old Key West 4 Weeks a year!!!

Unhappy Are PS reservations getting impossible...or is it just me???

I know Lou had mentioned this on the PODCAST back in March, but I was just wonder what everyone elses thoughts were on the impossibility of getting reservations lately...

I have never had the trouble getting reservations like I do now...

We booked a Vacation for this September, I called up to make some PS'ings for the trip 178 days in advance....that left just 2 days open for others to book...AND WE ARE SHUT OUT of a bunch of restaurants!!!

Now, they did offer us some times todine...like 4pm to 5pm and even a few at around 9:30pm and later, but how did this happen all of a sudden??? I would think that 178 days was ample time to book my reservations.

Some restaurants were completely booked!!! You know the ones, Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Cafil. Grill...

Just a little frustrating, I guess I need to call for every reservation I need EXACTLY 180 in advance in the future.

JEEZ...It's like keeping tickets to see the STONES in concert just to have a meal!!!

Sorry about the rant!!!

MICKEY BOSE
    VACATION CLUB MEMBER SINCE 1994

Married at Disney Wedding Pavillion 2003

I have spent 418 nights at Walt Disney World since 1971!!! Does that make me a freak?

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I'm afraid you got stuck because of the free dining. I know many were making Sept ADRs at their 180 day mark hoping that the free dining would be offered...
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    even if you don't have reservations, show up at the place you want to eat at around 5ish or a bit before. I did this for Ohana's on Wednesday night after being told it was compeltey booked. They put my party of 4 on a waiting list, and we got seated 15 minutes later. The hostess told us the longest we'd have to wait is 30 minutes, so I've had better luck without reservations lately!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

I think many people are over booking where they want to eat because at 180 days out a lot aren't 100% sure. So they are booking all over the place and then cancelling. Try back in a month or so and see what frees up. I think the whole 180 ADR window is nuts. I think if they wanted to change it 120 would've been good.

I'm still waiting for the online reservations. But I bet if they see a pattern of booking and cancelling they'll start charging people for it.

Good luck!

Lori

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    It is indeed annoying and frustrating MICKEY BOSE. I agree with the others, it sounds like you were caught in the "free dining" booking frenzy. Keep checking back to see what'll open up.

This is a huge part of the reason I do not like the DDP. I really don't enjoy booking my meals so far ahead of time and then being stuck with that meal schedule in the parks. I like more spontaneity in my trips. So glad we have a kitchen in our room...
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    While we are on the subject, roughly how long do you have to wait if you have an ADR? Only had one last year, at Boma and waited about 10 minutes. Is that about average?
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    also, if you have your confirmation number for your Disney Resort you can book your Priority Seating 190 days in advance, so maybe you could try that next time.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    also, if you have your confirmation number for your Disney Resort you can book your Priority Seating 190 days in advance, so maybe you could try that next time.
    i booked mine through AAA i wonder if they can go ahead and book it now or do i have to wait until the 180 days..

i'm not going during free dining so hopefully i wont have as much trouble.. but i must agree having to pick where and when your going to eat everday of you trip is a huge pain in the you know what!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

MICKEY BOSE is offline A-Ticket holder
    NY - 48 weeks a year...Old Key West 4 Weeks a year!!!
    I had spoken to reps at WDW DINE as well as Disney Vacation Club Member Servises, neither were able to make any reservations before 180 days out.

As a matter of fact, I spoke to them 181 days before our last vacation day, and they would not allow me to book any PS's for that last day...I had to call back again the next morning...

As for my wait times, I have never waited more than about 15 minutes with the exception of the Califonia Grill...but we never seem to mind that one as the lounge and bar ar fine for waiting especially considering the view!!!!
    VACATION CLUB MEMBER SINCE 1994

Married at Disney Wedding Pavillion 2003

I have spent 418 nights at Walt Disney World since 1971!!! Does that make me a freak?

GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder
    While it is true that the booking window is 180 days out for most restaurants, there is, in fact one exception. It happens to be a little mentioned perk of staying on resort. If you have a reservation number for a Disney Resort, you can book your ADRs for your entire trip 180 days from your check in date. So, if you are staying on resort for 7 days, you can call 180 days prior to check in and book all your ADRs at the same time. That would mean you might be actually booking for 186 or 187 days out in some cases. The advantage here is in booking tough to get into places like the CRT breakfast. If you book it for late in your stay, you stand a better chance of getting in because the window hasn't opened up to the general public yet.

It sounds confusing to explain so I hope that makes sense. They made the change a couple of years ago and it has worked out great for us. Before that, we would have to call every morning or two to book exactly 180 days out. We've always been planners for your meals as we tend to do our own things during the day and reconnect at mealtime...sort of a meeting time/place with benefits :o)

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    thanks i completely understand what you mean.. and i plan on booking my whole 5 days at once..

the hard part is choosing where to eat... it all sounds so great!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I made reservations for all 5 days of my Free Dining trip on April 14. This would be 138 days from my first reservation. I had no problems getting anything I wanted. I have Crystal Palace for 5:55pm, Teppenyaki for 7:00pm, 50's Prime Time for 5:55pm, Liberty Tree Tavern for 6:10pm, and Boma for 6:10pm, Aug 30 through Sep 3. I don't know if I just lucked out, or I chose less popular restaurants, or what. But the Free Dining crowd of reservations didn't seem to affect me too much....
    Last edited by mritty; 04-25-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Sept 3, not 30

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    I made reservations for all 5 days of my Free Dining trip on April 14. This would be 138 days from my first reservation. I had no problems getting anything I wanted. I have Crystal Palace for 5:55pm, Teppenyaki for 7:00pm, 50's Prime Time for 5:55pm, Liberty Tree Tavern for 6:10pm, and Boma for 6:10pm, Aug 30 through Sep 3. I don't know if I just lucked out, or I chose less popular restaurants, or what. But the Free Dining crowd of reservations didn't seem to affect me too much....
    End of August/Beg of Sept, the parks are emptier. It's the very end of the summer crowds, so there aren't a lot of people in the parks then! You picked a good time to go!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

FriendOfFanatic is offline A-Ticket holder

Waits with ADR

Quote Originally Posted by tasha36 View Post
    While we are on the subject, roughly how long do you have to wait if you have an ADR? Only had one last year, at Boma and waited about 10 minutes. Is that about average?
    I have only been to D-World once, last year at the beginning of December, and we had to wait beyond the reservation time for 2 of 4 reservations. I thought this was normal. We would arrive at least 10 minutes before our reservation time to check in. We waited for nearly an hour for Ohana, and 35-40 minutes for Boma. We only waited for 15 minutes for the Crystal Palace and 10 minutes for Mama Melrose.

This year for our trip the week before Christmas week, we had no problems getting ADR at 180 days. We did not get the Fantasmic dinning package we wanted, got a second choice.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    I just booked for our December trip last week. Had to juggle the schedule abit, but ended up pretty much with what i was looking for. Could not get dinner at the Coral Reff however for any of time between 1-8 DEC. Most of the dinners we got were in 530-630 time period though, no biggy for us we like early dinners.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.