Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss The basics of ADR's please in the Vacation Planning forums; I know there is loads of talk about ADR's, but can someone cover the basics for me please. When i phone up do I pay a reservation fee? Is there ...
    DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

The basics of ADR's please

I know there is loads of talk about ADR's, but can someone cover the basics for me please.
    When i phone up do I pay a reservation fee?
    Is there a limit to the number of people on one ADR? (there are 9 of us)
    Is it advisable to book on exactly the 180th day, or I wont be be able to get in?
    Do you get postal confirmation or just a reservation number over the phone?
    Can i organise a birthday cake very easily?
    We want to book a breakfast at chef mickey for the morning after we stay at the Contemporary & then lunch at the Crystal Palace for our last day in florida which is also my Mums birthday, so any advice of these to plans would be great.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    I know there is loads of talk about ADR's, but can someone cover the basics for me please.
    When i phone up do I pay a reservation fee? they may ask for a Credit Card number
    Is there a limit to the number of people on one ADR? (there are 9 of us) no limit i believe
    Is it advisable to book on exactly the 180th day, or I wont be be able to get in? i would!!!! i did
    Do you get postal confirmation or just a reservation number over the phone? just number by phone
    Can i organise a birthday cake very easily? i have never done it before
    We want to book a breakfast at chef mickey for the morning after we stay at the Contemporary & then lunch at the Crystal Palace for our last day in florida which is also my Mums birthday, so any advice of these to plans would be great.

chef mickey is cool and were try the CPalace this time for the CPalace you will need have tickets to get in the MK other than that i would think you shouldnt havea problem.. if your on the dinning plan through ...... i'm not sure if your points expire at midnight you check out day or midnight the day after??
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    No, we're not on the dining plan because we are staying off site. We have a HUGE villa in Kissimmee for all nine of us, but Chris, me and our 2 kids are treating ourselves to 1 night in the Contemporary. Tickets to get into the MK wont be a problem, we are getting a '21day unlimited visits' ticket each.
    Thanks for the info Chrissy
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary

well then everything you want should be nope problem at all!!

i booked at 180 days out and my epcot norway breakfast with the princess time is nearly 9pm and i would really rather have it at least 8..
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Nope, we've had ADRs at pretty much every sit-down restaurant in Epcot and the MK and never paid a fee or had to give a credit card number or anything.

This one I'm not 100% sure on but I can imagine that as long as they have room for a party of 9 on the ADR system at the time you request you're good to go.

Is it advisable to book on exactly the 180th day, or I wont be be able to get in?
    Y'know... it really all depends on when you're going. I've made ADRs from my hotel room the day we arrived without difficulty in most cases but for some places it's definitely advisable to get them ASAP. Because CP and CM are both character dining I'd say you want to get them done as much in advance as you can but even then I'd say 60 days is plenty. Can't hurt to do it the day it opens up for you though.

Just a reservation number by phone... and make SURE to take it with you and write down all the information including the time etc. of your reservation. We ran into an issue once where somehow the reservation got changed (that's only happened to me one time) and when we checked in they told us we were an hour late. I showed them the paper where I wrote all the information when I called (which was very obviously not a fake or a rewrite cuz it was a mess) and after a little back and forth they got us right in.

If the restaurant offers one yes. Just tell the Disney Dining rep that you want to do it and they'll tell you how it all works. I am pretty sure CP does cakes. I seem to remember them bringing one out with all the characters and singing to a family behind us and can only assume that was organized through the restaurant ahead of time.

Have fun!! You'll LOVE the Crystal Palace. We were so impressed with the food there and the best part is even though it's a buffet you never at any time feel rushed by your server to get out and make room for the next party.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

gwa
    gwa is offline A-Ticket holder
    I make our ADR's as soon as possible. They will give you a confirmation number. I take all my ADR conf #'s with me in case there is a problem. I also call to verify all my ADR's a few days before we leave for our trip. I am sure this is not necessary but I prefer not to take any chances.
    When you call to make your ADR's, be sure to tell them you are celebrating a birthday. The restaurants have a SMALL cake for these occasions. Last time we were there, we celebrated our grandsons 2nd birthday and I ordered a larger cake from their "special occasions" department (there were 9 of us.) Just tell the ADR person you want to special order a birthday cake and he/she will be glad to give you that number. (I have misplaced it.) They can tell you the size and prices. When you check in at the podium of your restaurant, be sure to let them know you have a special order. They will notify the cast member who waits on you. I have also ordered flowers from this department and had them delivered to San Angel Restaurant for our son's engagement dinner. Have fun!
    Here are a couple of numbers we have had to use in the past: To order a crib, high chair and gate, we called 407-812-9300, All About Kids. They will deliver to your hotel the day you arrive and tell you what time you need to have rented items returned to bell services the day of your departure. You are in charge of setting these things up in your hotel room.
    We needed some medication for our grandson last time we were there. The first aid station at MK gave us this number. Turner Drugs at 12500 Apopka-Vineland Rd, 407-828-8125. We called them with a prescription number and they delivered to the hotel front desk. The delivery charge was $5.
    I will carry this number with me whenever I go to WDW now. A little peace of mind.

disneygeek

how much is the cake and do u pay for it when u pay for the meal or at the time of ordering?
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Thanks for all the info so far, its made things a whole lot clearer !
    x FIONA x

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    Not for most restaurants, no. However, there are a few where you're making an *actual* reservation, not just a call-ahead seating. These include Cinderella's table for breakfast, and the Dine with an Imagineer program. For these, you will be asked for your credit card and you will be charged a fee if you don't show up without cancelling. But in no case will you actually be charged any amount of the cost in advance.

No. Any number of people can be on the ADR. However, not all restaurants have tables big enough for 9 people. When I made reservations for 10 people at Garden Grill and Liberty Tree Tavern last year, the CM told us that we would be split into two tables, and that the restaurant CMs would do their best to make those tables as close as possible. When the days arrived, we were seated at two tables right next to each other at Liberty Tree, and at two tables that had been pushed together at Garden Grill.

Well, if you *know* where you want to eat and when, make your reservations as soon as possible. If your plans change, you can always call back and change them (provided your new date/time/restaurant is available). But I've booked reservations for March, May, October, August, and November, all by calling about 3 months beforehand. So it's certainly not required that you call exactly 180 days out. However, the insanely popular places, like Cinderella's Castle and California Grill and Victoria & Alberts are probably exceptions to this. For those, you should *definitely* be calling at 7am 180 days before the date you want.

You get a confirmation number over the phone for each reservation that you make. I've never actually needed this number, other than to cancel or modify my reservations. But I've heard that if the restaurant for some reason can't find your reservation, having the confirmation number helps them retrieve it. Nothing will be mailed to you for your dining or tour reservations.

Haven't done this, but from what I understand, you can call Disney Dining or the restaurant itself 2 or 3 days before your reservation and just tell them you want to add a cake to the reservation. I'd imagine you can probably add it at the time you make the reservation too. Either way, I'd ask the CM what to do as soon as you make the reservation.

Call 1-407-WDW-DINE as soon as you know the dates you want to make the reservations for. And be sure to ask the CM to note on the reservation that you're celebrating Mom's birthday, whether you're ordering a cake or not.