Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss 08 dining plan in the Vacation Planning forums; I wanted some opinions on whether or not its still worth getting the dining plan in 08? I used it last year for the first time and love it. But ...
    tiggaman is offline A-Ticket holder

08 dining plan

I wanted some opinions on whether or not its still worth getting the dining plan in 08? I used it last year for the first time and love it. But with all these new exceptions i am not sure.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    We have booked the bounceback for next year's free dining but have decided to try some 2 credit restaurants to save a bit on shelling out mega bucks on tips. We will have 5 Table Service credits, so if we do two, 2 credit meals that mean we only have to deal with carrying money around for tips for 3 meals instead of 5. LOL judging by how many counter service we had left at 10 minutes to midnite before they expired I think we wont starve. LOL
    The tip thing is the main change that I am not liking , that and having to have dessert instead of an appetizer. I would rather my DD(5 next year) eat soup or salad then ice cream. Who needs hyped up kids? LOL Either that or just not get our dessert which leaves us with less then our value --if we were paying for it. lol
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

djmasterscooter is offline B-Ticket Holder
    It all depends on you. I used the DDP basic for the past two years. This year I went with the deluxe, because statistically, to me it is worth an extra 300. That's 3 meals (any combo of Table Service or Counter Service is allowed), 2 snacks, and the meals include an appetizer. This is per person mind you, and considering that for a good table service meal for two can easily rack up dollars, I felt that this was the way to go when looking at it monetarily.
    "Do Not Go To Disney World With A Bottle Of Pepsi. We will never see you again, and I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing"

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    We have booked the bounceback for next year's free dining but have decided to try some 2 credit restaurants to save a bit on shelling out mega bucks on tips. We will have 5 Table Service credits, so if we do two, 2 credit meals that mean we only have to deal with carrying money around for tips for 3 meals instead of 5. LOL judging by how many counter service we had left at 10 minutes to midnite before they expired I think we wont starve. LOL
    The tip thing is the main change that I am not liking , that and having to have dessert instead of an appetizer. I would rather my DD(5 next year) eat soup or salad then ice cream. Who needs hyped up kids? LOL Either that or just not get our dessert which leaves us with less then our value --if we were paying for it. lol
    Do you know for certain that there will be free dining in 08? How early can you book in advance?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    she could book it because she was there during free dining this year.. hey only offered it to people stay during this years free dinning
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

SO will they offer it to the general public as well? We are already talking about post poning our June trip because my father in law may be losing his job. We were thinking about waiting until November and going to see the Holiday decorations but I'd go in September for free dining!
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    she could book it because she was there during free dining this year.. hey only offered it to people stay during this years free dinning
    What she said. LOL

Sorry should have made myself more clear. The info becomes such second nature to me that I forget that others might not know the same thing. At this point, to book free dining for next year, you have had to already be a guest at the resorts this past month and book the trip for next Sept BEFORE you checked out. As for them releasing free dining to the public for next year. There has been no word one way or the other on the promotion. If history repeats itself then any info on the public release wont be until April if they do it.

Getting back to the OP's question. We figured if we could save more money by just paying OOP then we still have the option of cancelling what we do have. Depends on whether they have good rates for AP holders on room rates. If we save more by paying for all our meals and getting room discount then we may go that route. I am still not happy about the no tip thing. I like the plan now for the convience of not having to worry about having a food money budget (that just goes right out the window with having to budget tip money) They are probably hoping folks will eat cheaper meals so they dont have to tip as much and save the company money. It will prob wind up hurting the servers in the long run. I plan on getting around it mostly by eating at buffet type meals with tax and gratuity is included. Well, I hope they keep the tip and tax included for next year.

Depending on what you want to spend the different tiers of pricing for next years DDP could be worth it. I can always wish for the cash to do the top one.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

No problem. I would imagine if they are allowing guests to book for next year then they will probably offer it again. It seems our June trip may be on without my in laws so if I can go in September as well it will just be a bonus.