Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Dining Reservations Online in the Vacation Planning forums; Is it just me or would it not make a ton of sense to move the Dining reservation system online? Seems like it could be done in some simple steps ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Lightbulb Dining Reservations Online

Is it just me or would it not make a ton of sense to move the Dining reservation system online? Seems like it could be done in some simple steps much like resort reservations and would make life so much easier. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    oh yes i agree.. then you could note special occis. and you could check your ressies and change them without waitin on the phone forever.. but then we could be taking someones job
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    but then we could be taking someones job
    Well y'know I still think there'd be a high enough population of people who would want to do it on the phone to not take too many! LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Scottwdw is offline B-Ticket Holder
    This comes up a lot on forums. While I am all for it, can you imagine how fast some places would fill up? When does the next day reservations become available? Does online reservations only get a percentaage of available tables. Not to mention how Disney would have to explain to someone who does NOT have Internet access, that all reservations are gone due to online bookings.

I have only run into a few restaurants that use online reservations. One was in London when I took a trip there and that saved me a long distance phone call and worked very well. I think it's an untapped service even local restaurants should consider.

Someday, Disney will try this. I hope their servers can handle the first few seconds when a new day becomes available when they do. Want to bet someone will write programs to automate it, too. LIke eBay sniper programs.
    Scottwdw

Sorcerer of the Amazing PS Calculator
    Picture This! Disney Photo Blog

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    It would be great to put in a day and time and see what is available, that would be pretty cool.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    That would be cool. It would make my obsessive planning that much easier. Don't tell, but I do much of it at work in between customers. I feel like a real moron telling the CM on the other end, "Can you hold on? I have a customer."
    Dreams Really Do Come True

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Despite the park experience seeming to indicate a very pro-technology stance by the company, they are still hesitant to go all out.

In addition to you not being able to book your Advanced Dining Reservations online, you cannot even order goods from the WDW Catalog online. You still have to call someone and try and describe what you are wanting to buy.

I agree with the previous poster that I think if they could at least allow us to view real-time availability that would help with planning before you make the phone call.

Nothing is more annoying than trying to come up with dining ideas once your first, second, and third choices are booked and you must come up with a fourth idea on the spot or hang up and call back

I dunno, I don't see it any different than making reservations at the resorts. I'd view it the same if I called and was told there were no rooms available because people booked them all, online or not. Maybe it's just me.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    BamaJenn,

Excellent point. I didn't even think of that excellent example. People have been able to book their Disney vacations online for years. I'm weird. I use the online reservation tools to get pricing, but I'll end up calling to actually book it.....well.....at least until I joined the DVC. Now I have to call no matter what

Not related to dining but last Friday I made a payment on my vacation online and when I went back on to make another payment this morning, there was no record of it! I called and they said that nothing had gone through. So you see, sometimes you can't beat speaking to a live person. Now everything has been straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Not related to dining but last Friday I made a payment on my vacation online and when I went back on to make another payment this morning, there was no record of it! I called and they said that nothing had gone through. So you see, sometimes you can't beat speaking to a live person. Now everything has been straightened out.
    But see I don't like live people. I'd much rather deal with an audio-animatronic. At least that'd be fun! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    But see I don't like live people. I'd much rather deal with an audio-animatronic. At least that'd be fun! LOL!!!
    On a video phone especially! We have something like that with the phone company here, they make you talk to Emily the robot, then they might transfer you to a live person.