Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Happy Turkey Day everyone. And speaking of which... in the Vacation Planning forums; Seeing as flying home for this short holiday is not really a financial possibility, I've found myself stuck in Florida by myself on Thanksgiving this year. But seeing as my ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Happy Turkey Day everyone. And speaking of which...

Seeing as flying home for this short holiday is not really a financial possibility, I've found myself stuck in Florida by myself on Thanksgiving this year. But seeing as my school is closed, as is my job for the day, I figure I'll go celebrate with the mouse.

But here's the catch. It would be nice to still have something remotely resembling a traditional Thanksgiving meal (preferably a feast of sorts, but I'd settle for just a meal). I know I can eat those salt-cured turkey legs that are found all over the parks all day long, but somehow that's not exactly what I had in mind. Does anyone know of anywhere in Disney I might be able to get something which somewhat suits the occasion? And if so... what are the odds I'd be able to get in tomorrow, either as a walk-up or by trying to get a reservation first thing in the morning? With it being a holiday and all, the crowds likely to be moderately high I would think, and people would probably be looking to find a nice place to sit down and "feast", much like myself. What about outside the parks? I would think those seats would be a bit easier to come by.

I know its a long shot really, but I'm hungry already thinking about it, and it would be nice to take advantage of the holiday as an excuse to try something new. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks, and have a happy Thanksgiving!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Babby58 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Well, I'd suggest the Liberty Tree Tavern but the chances of actually getting a table might be slim.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
    Piglet Rules!!

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I immediately thought Liberty Tree too. They have turkey and potatoes even when it isn't Thanksgiving. Go there. Maybe a nice family will have an empty seat at their table and invite you to join them. That could be fun.
    Or, Garden Grill in the Land at Epcot has a similar meal.
    What's the restaurant in the American Pavilion? They would I am sure be having a Thanksgiving feast.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide- I would much rather be faced with your choices than the choices at my Mom's. We eat in courses, one of which I have been informed, involves creamed spinach and artichoke bottoms. I didn't know artichokes had those.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    Happy thanksgiving you guys x x x

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Yeah, I'd suggest Liberty Tree Tavern.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    . We eat in courses, one of which I have been informed, involves creamed spinach and artichoke bottoms. I didn't know artichokes had those.
    Oh my gosh, you crack me up, Kerry.

BigDan275 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Oh rats..."Stuck in Florida!" What a pity! Lol I wish I could say that....I'm stuck in the land of O.Z. spending thanksgiving with dorthy and todo! Enjoy thanksgiving at the world!
    Disneyland Trips :14
    89 (Disneyland Hotel)
    91 (Fairfield in by Marriot)
    95 (Disneyland Hotel Suite overlooking Splash Mountain)
    96 (Hyatt Anaheim)
    98 (Anaheim Marriot)
    99 (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (new years) (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (Anaheim Marriot)
    01 (Anaheim Hyatt, Suite)
    02 (Anaheim Hilton)
    03 (Anaheim Hilton)
    04 (Anaheim Hilton/ Huntington Beach Hyatt)
    05 (Anaheim Hilton)
    06 (Anaheim Hilton)

Disneyworld
    04 (Hyatt Grand Cypress) <nice hotel!>
    Spring 07 (Off property, Lake Suites a.k.a. Roadkill Motel) Absolutely wonderful trip!!
    Fall 07 Oct 24th-31st Coronado Springs......amazing! I miss it!!

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    You could be like the family in "A Christmas Story" and have "Chinese" turkey (which was a duck) at Nine Dragons . Just a thought.

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    What's the restaurant in the American Pavilion? They would I am sure be having a Thanksgiving feast.
    The restaurant in America is just a quick service restaurant, so I doubt it, but who knows you may get lucky!
    - Matt

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    You could be like the family in "A Christmas Story" and have "Chinese" turkey (which was a duck) at Nine Dragons . Just a thought.

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.
    I actually thought about that. The duck at Nine Dragons is a massive (and expensive) dish intended for two persons to share, but I noticed that the menu at the newly opened Yak and Yeti over at DAK offers a duck dish as well... for much less $$, too. I think I'm going to check out Liberty Tree, just for giggles, but I think my second choice will be to go see a Yak about a duck. And if all seatings inside the parks are taken up by the time I get to there tomorrow, I think I'll take my mom's suggestion and try an out-of-the-way, outside the park buffet location, such as Trails End at Fort Wilderness, where crowds shouldn't be too big an issue, and I can literally eat myself stupid.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll hit this thread back up when I get home and let you know how things went.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

*EDIT* I just checked the menus over at allearsnet.com, and it appears the duck is no longer on the menu at Nine Dragons. Not that I was considering going there for it, but just a FYI.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 11-22-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: The duck flew the coop.
    -Don-

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i hope you get in at liberty!!!! AWESOME AWESOME meal and i was remembering it this morning and yesterday while i was cooking... and brent liked it so much i have add a salad with strawberry vingerette to our meal this year...LOL

i sure hope you can get in.. and with it being only you.. i'm sur ethey can work something out for you.. i would call first thing.. let us know how it goes!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I found this late, but I hope Don found something that fit his holiday meal requirements. I was thinking that a table for one might be easier to get than a table for 6. As for us, we had fish and chips...(hey, the pilgrims had turkey AND fish) and then we joined friends for drinks and sandwiches at Trader Vics. Not traditional, but a great day.

Don, next year you can join us for our 1st FL thanksgiving...and I promise to have a traditional meal.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Ok gang, I just got back and here's how it went down.

As it tuns out, a number of the dining locations actually modify their normal menus on special occasions such as holidays. I did check out Liberty first, but they were all booked up. They told me to try checking back with them about 12:30-1:00 to see if there were any cancellations, but by then I had already made up my mind what I was going to do. I hung around at Magic Kingdom for a few hours, and then about 1:30 I left the park and caught a boat over to Fort Wilderness, where I spent the next almost two hours browsing the Tri-Circle D Farm, watching horses getting hosed off and trimmed, wandering the nature and swamp trails around the campground, and then finally moseyed my way back up to Trails End by around 4:00. They gave put my name in the wait log, and gave me a buzzer to call me when they were ready for me, but the wait was so short that I hadn't even had a chance to turn around and find a seat before they were already paging me back.

I've always liked the food there, and the fact that it was an all-you-care-to-eat place was a big factor in my deciding to go there. I was pleasantly surprised to see that in addition to some of my old favorites (such as the ribs... mmm, I love ribs), the holiday was also being considered, with plenty of traditional Thanksgiving menu items to chose from. I had everything from turkey and ham and ribs and fish (I forget what kind of fish it was...) and shrimp, to the endless fixin's consisting of "smashed" potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green beans, squash, cranberries, assorted fruits, apple crisp, and pumpkin pie, among a handful of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention. And I didn't even get around to trying a number of things. I think I earned myself a somewhat piggy reputation as I helped myself to three fully loaded regular sized dinner plates, followed by two smaller salad plates. And as I was finishing off those, my server came by and asked if I would like a slice of pumpkin pie, to which I agreed, and she brought me not one but two slices topped with whipped cream. She later offered the same to the guy at the next table but brought him only one slice... she must have seen how much I was eating and assumed I might want two, haha. What was amazing is that I got all that great food, a feast if I ever saw one, all for under $25! Talk abut incredible! So as per usual, Disney never fails to disappoint, and although I was a bit lonely this Thanksgiving, I had plenty to be thankful for, and plenty of good food and another great day overall to reflect upon as I digest it all.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday too!
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 11-23-2007 at 12:19 AM.
    -Don-

I'm glad everything went well for you today Don. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    - Matt

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Good grief, Don! To look at you in pictures, I wouldn't expect you to be able to eat that much! I may have to rescind my offer for dinner next year. I don't think I'll have enough to feed you.
    Glad you had an interesting day. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.