Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Disney Dining "Ripoff"??? in the Vacation Planning forums; Just read this on Debs Site: The Disney Dining Experience team has sent out an updated email (11/10/07 6:00pm) that clarifies the automatic gratuity policy. Here is an exerpt: " ...
    LAroy is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs down Disney Dining "Ripoff"???

Just read this on Debs Site:

The Disney Dining Experience team has sent out an updated email (11/10/07 6:00pm) that clarifies the automatic gratuity policy. Here is an exerpt:

" Many of you have expressed concern about the 18% gratuity that will be added to all Disney Dining Experience transactions. When using your Disney Dining Experience membership card the assessed gratuity will be added to all table service restaurant locations and lounges for all transactions regardless of party size. Gratuity will not be added to any counter service, food cart or quick service locations. In the past, gratuity was only implemented for larger parties of 8 or more for guests utilizing their Disney Dining Experience membership. This adjustment to the program has been implemented in order to align the Disney Dining Experience Program with other dining experiences where gratuities are included. Effective January 1, 2008, when utilizing your Disney Dining Experience discount 18% gratuity will be added."

I do not agree with a FORCED gratuity in any circumstance. The amount should be up to my discretion,not some corporate board!
    What is everyone's opinion?
    Rob

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I believe it's been mentioned that this is not a forced gratuity and you can request to have it taken off and you can add your own tip. I think they did this because people were tipping off the discounted bill and not off the original amount.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yea I really don't like this either. If i get terrible service why should i have to give 18%. Also it takes away the waiters incentive for good service.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i kind of agree with Maestr034 i had horrible wait service at the coral reef...
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

mwmiller is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm sorry -- you don't like the policy? Please feel free not to use the Disney Dining Program at all and pay for your meals a la carte and tip as you please.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    In all honesty I can see why they did this. I can only imagine the amount of park guests who had the dining plan and since they didn't have to "pay" for their meal, also conveniently forgot to tip. Now, that said, 18% is a little much... but the folks that serve guests at the table service restaurants on property are definitely deserving of it. Think of all the hundreds of faces they see each day and all the rude people they must encounter. All in all, I'm fine with it.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Cinderelliefan is offline A-Ticket holder
    Bangkok, Thailand (originally from Louisiana)
    Actually when on the dining plan your tip WAS included in the bill. When you received your bill, even though you were on the dining plan, the 18% gratuity was included there. I have an old Dining Plan brochure and it also states: Gratuities/service charges for Table Service meals are already included in your Disney Dining Plan.

Disney did change that rule, starting January 2008, gratuities/services charges will NOT be included and they will bill you for the 18% gratuity.

LAroy is offline A-Ticket holder
    I dont mind tipping but not havig it issed to me as a bill.

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    The tipping is not for the dinning plan. It is for the Disney Dinning Experience card. Not the Dining plan. The card takes 20% off your meals. Just wanted to clear up the confusion.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    In all honesty I can see why they did this. I can only imagine the amount of park guests who had the dining plan and since they didn't have to "pay" for their meal, also conveniently forgot to tip. Now, that said, 18% is a little much... but the folks that serve guests at the table service restaurants on property are definitely deserving of it. Think of all the hundreds of faces they see each day and all the rude people they must encounter. All in all, I'm fine with it.
    Other than a few off weeks where the DP is offered as a perk, we PAY for the DP, prepay and in return depending on which plan you pick and pay for accordingly you are afforded so many meal credits and snacks. While we on our trip at Thanksgiving had a few wonderful servers we had two that were just horrible, at Cafe Floridian and Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. Servers know as you are seated that you are on the DP and the servers know they automatically receive an 18% tip no matter how you are served. My son joined us at these restaurants and wasn't on the Plan and they tacked 18% onto his bill 'cause he was seated at the table with us. I had a difficult time paying that forced tip for him at these two restaurants. I would support the idea of removing the tip from the DP to encourage solid service but in return Disney needs to offer more than a single dollar per day in their DP fee. I think there are may folks out there that believe we who use the DP don't have to Pay.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    i kind of agree with Maestr034 i had horrible wait service at the coral reef...
    Sorry to hear that! When we ate there in July our service was GREAT!!!
    For whatever its worth, though, we weren't on ANY kind of dining plan.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    As mentioned, this is for people who have the Disney Dining Experience Card. Those people will be FLorida residents or Annual Pass holders.

Groups of 6 or more regardless of how you pay (DDP, cash, or discount thru the DDE Card) will be assesed the 18% gratuity. This is a common practice at most restaurants outside of WDW, even at places like Applebees.

If ever you are unsatisfied with the service you receive and feel the tip should reflect the service, you have every right to ask for a manager.
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

disneytraveler is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you have request it, they will remove the tip so no reason to get upset. But honestly, unless you have horrible service, the tip should be around 18%. Many people will tip on the discounted prices, which is not fair to the server.

If you haven't worked in the industry it is hard to comprehend, but here are some facts.
    servers only make about $3.00/hr

They work very hard, its not a job just anyone can do

Many of their clientele come from countries that do not tip regulary and therefore do not usually tip to the standard.

If Disney didn't help their servers receive a fair and socially acceptable tip amount they would not be able to keep good servers working in their restaurants

Of course, this does ensure that you will always have good service, (there are also many factors, most beyond the servers control, which determine this) but it ups the probability that the service will be good.

Think of it this way. Most people will tip on the discounted amount, whether the service was standard or excellent, so a server may not give as good of service knowing it's likely the tip will not be good no matter what. If the tip is included, they know they are making a decent amount and will give good service.

Ask anyone who has worked in the business, especially in a tourist area such as Orlando.

Think about it, if you are a member of this forum, then you must be happy with the overall quality of disney service in all areas, not just restaurants. So... why would disney risk angering guests so that employees make more money (Disney is not the best paying employer around)? There must be a good reason.

Think about it