Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Bonfamilles Cafe in the Vacation Planning forums; I've been pondering the value of the Dining Plan value and the difficulties in obtaining ADR's to real good restaurants and then thought... What ever happened to BONFAMILLES CAFE that ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Thumbs up Bonfamilles Cafe

I've been pondering the value of the Dining Plan value and the difficulties in obtaining ADR's to real good restaurants and then thought...

What ever happened to BONFAMILLES CAFE that was once at Port Orleans

I know it is boarded up, and sealed from view of guests but I still wonder why.

-It is a large resort since it consolidated with Dixie to create PO

-It only has one sit down over at the Riverside now, very difficult to be seated there, vast amount of guests, small restaurant. Good Food.

-Bonfamillles was a moderately priced restaurant. We ate there multiple times per vacation while staying at PO. It was a charming and warm atmosphere.

-The food was excellent. There creole cooking was to die for. Their steaks so tender. Breakfasts were good and relaxed.

-Poof it was gone.

Disney has a sit down shortage for ADR's. This would be a facility they could reopen. It would help with the ADR thing and also take some pressure off of Boatwright's at Riverside. I know they closed the PO after 9/ll and revamped the resort and reopened as a consolidated resort, but Bonfamilles never reopened and it was such a gem. Wonder if anyone ever heard the real story or why now that the attendance at PO is high why it is still shuttered?

I miss it.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Was it on the FQ side?
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Yes.

The FQ opened in 1991 as Port Orleans. That is where the restaurant was right next to the bar. If you look next to the main entrance front door, the restaurant entrances is right beside it. In August it had an old piece of wood just nailed up sealing it closed.

In early 1992 Dixie Landings opened with the Boatwright.

After 9/ll they closed Port Orleans, rehabbed it during the slow travel of that time. They then started rehabbing Dixie a few buildings at a time.

The resort was then combined and Port Orleans became FQ, Dixie became
    POR. Yet they still maintain separate check In's, gift shops, bars, counter services. Only Bonfamilles never opened again. Odd.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I am guessing that at the time, the demand for table service was much lower, and that due to the smaller size of FQ the economics of maintaining a table service restaurant there didn't make much sense. Maybe now that the dining plan has become so popular they will look again at reopening some of the old spots.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

And hopefully they will look at our threads and garner and idea from it.
    Here is hoping, it was such a good restaurant.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Hey! I was reading the article on JHM today, and caught this little mention:

" The executives who were trying to get this new Magic Kingdom dining experience approved even went so far as to build a mock-up of the restaurant inside Disney World's test kitchen. Which is located in the space that Bonfamille's used to occupy in the French Quarter section of Disney's Port Orleans Resort."

So now we know!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Wow. I can see why they did that originally. All the resorts were kinda slow after 9/ll, it was a good alternative use.

Now that there is a dining shortage with the DP, as well as at that resort as a whole, one can still hope that they will give the resort back its restaurant for the guests. It had really nice booths and tables in there. Plus the food was excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Bonfamilles Cafe

And I just read that during most weeks the Boatwright at POR will be closed for breakfast, serving only dinner now.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Bonfamilles Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    And I just read that during most weeks the Boatwright at POR will be closed for breakfast, serving only dinner now.
    That I'm not happy about either! I was going to try their equivalent of "tonga toast"! It's just so hard to get all the way to Poly for breakfast when you're not at one of those pricey MK resorts.
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo

Next Trip - December 2009 - POFQ & VWL