Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Tips/Gratuities in the Vacation Planning forums; Can anyone advise me the best way to pay/give tips at the table service restaurants We are visiting for 14 days in April and have reserved a table service restaurant ...
    PJC
    PJC is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Tips/Gratuities

Can anyone advise me the best way to pay/give tips at the table service restaurants

We are visiting for 14 days in April and have reserved a table service restaurant for each evening with the DDP

Can you use your card to the world for payment or do the staff prefer to have the cash direct

Which is the best option? Also how are the tips worked out. Is it on the total balance that you would have paid if paying cash and not on the DDP??

Any advise would be great

Thanks

PJ from the UK

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    At least most places in the US, waitstaff generally *prefer* cash, because then it doesn't get reported on their income tax forms. However, I've never much felt it necessary to help them cheat on their taxes, so I have no issue putting the tip on my credit card (or in the case of Disney, the Key to the World card).

Note that you can only use your KttW card if you've set up room charging privlledges at your hotel - make sure you say "Yes" when the CM who checks you in asks if you want to be able to charge back to the room.

I would tip based off the menu prices, not off the per-day cost of the DDP. I *think* those prices are listed on your receipt, but I'm honestly not sure.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Yes indeed, they give you one receipt that prices out the meal so you know to tip off that amount. The wiggle over here is some folks exclude liquor when they are calculating a tip others do not, it is the rub since a few mix drinks does rack the bill up and are not on the DP.

I always tip with cash. I figure it costs me the same and these CM's make so little in salary it is the least I can do. They will appreciate which ever you choose to do though.

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I hate carrying cash so when I go in September I will probably be charging the tip on my KtW card. I think after I get my ADRs set I'm going to check the average prices of the restaurants I picked and figure out an average amount to expect to tip so that way I'm doing it correctly.
    Sept 2010 Trip Planned!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm going down Friday. In advance of the trip, I went on some other WDW sites that have menus. I estimated my costs for each meal and prepared tips accordingly, even though I'm on the DDP. This made things pretty easy. All I will do is pull out the right envelope and there's the tip already done. (I set it at about the standard 18%).
    Last edited by clion; 03-19-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fix typos
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by clion View Post
    I'm going down Friday. In advance of the trip, I went on some other WDW sites that have menus. I estimated my costs for each meal and prepared tips accordingly, even though I'm on the DDP. This made things pretty easy. All I will do is pull out the right envelope and there's the tip already done. (I set it at about the standard 18%).
    And I thought I was organized, you put me to shame.

Don't forget to take pictures of some of the food to post on Picture of Food a Day Thread, we all like to live vicariously through others calories.

paul mex is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi All, And sorry to PJC for jumping on your thread, But Im also from the UK and after 6 trips to Florida I still dont get the tipping Is 18% about right??? and is that about the same going rate for most places??? And I guess this only applies to waiter services right? we were in a pizza hut on I-drive and when the bill came the Tip was clear on the bottom of the bill ( yahoo ) even I could work that one out But under that was a big smiley face with a rate that worked out about double the first one Its was fairly good service but not to that degree, We left the 1st amount cash and made our farewells,
    Thanks in advance Paul

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by paul mex View Post
    Hi All, And sorry to PJC for jumping on your thread, But Im also from the UK and after 6 trips to Florida I still dont get the tipping Is 18% about right???
    My theory is...

15% is minimum usually for decent service and at lunch or casual dinner (Pizza Hut...)

18% for dinners sit downs etc. Add at your discretion for above-and-beyond service.

Definately tip for drinks. 15% or $1 a drink (for those drinks that get upward of $7-8).

Also, cash vs. credit at most places doesn't matter too much, as most places tip-share. All of the tips go in a big pot and are split by the servers, hosts and bus staff. I can't say for sure, but I would think that as common as this is, it probably applies to Disney, too.
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by paul mex View Post
    Hi All, And sorry to PJC for jumping on your thread, But Im also from the UK and after 6 trips to Florida I still dont get the tipping Is 18% about right??? and is that about the same going rate for most places??? And I guess this only applies to waiter services right? we were in a pizza hut on I-drive and when the bill came the Tip was clear on the bottom of the bill ( yahoo ) even I could work that one out But under that was a big smiley face with a rate that worked out about double the first one Its was fairly good service but not to that degree, We left the 1st amount cash and made our farewells,
    Thanks in advance Paul
    18% for table service is pretty accurate. I tend to waiver between 15% and 20% depending on the quality of service. I only go about 20% for truly exceptional service, and only go below 15% for truly atrocious service.

I would never tip for any kind of counter-service, whether they have a tip jar there or not.

For buffets, I tip less than "normal" table service, about 10-15% depending on how quickly our plates are cleared or drinks refilled. They're not doing as much work as real waiters, so I don't see any reason to compensate them as much.

For delivery, about 15% is my standard, even if the food isn't as quick as I'd like, because it's generally not the delivery guy's fault.

And for bars, about $1 per drink, sometimes 50 if the "work" involved grabbing a bottle from the cooler and putting it in front of me.