Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Newbie looking for help with dining! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi Everybody~ I just joined this forum tonight and there is so much great information. I have a few questions and I would appreciate ANY answers anyone could give. -When ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Newbie looking for help with dining!

Hi Everybody~
    I just joined this forum tonight and there is so much great information. I have a few questions and I would appreciate ANY answers anyone could give.

-When you are using the Table Service tickets at restaurants are there only certain items that you can order?
    -I understand that for Table Service restaurants that I need to make reservations but what about just being out at the parks during the day? Are there just places that we can pop in or just grab and go?
    -Can you use tickets for the Character Breakfasts/Lunches/Dinners or do you have to pay in cash?

How much cash for food should we take? Do you think it is beneficial to go up to Deluxe? (It will be myself, my husband and my son (4).

I'm sure I have several other questions but I'm a little overwhelmed .

Thanks!

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Table service - you can normally order what you want with a few restrictions in some places.
    There are masses of places in the parks where you can get your counter service meals.
    You can use your vouchers for character meals in all parks and resorts - book well in advance!
    We were on the dining plan last year and hardly bought any extra meals - portions are huge so most days we only ate 2 x a day. We didn't have any kids with us though.
    Am sure there are lots of threads on here about this - try searching for dining plan?
    allears.net has masses of information, profiles, menus and even recipes.

Hope that helps a bit.

oh and by the way, welcome! Am sure you will have fun and find lots of info here.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Welcome April, don't forget to book early for the character meals.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilhendrix9 View Post
    Hi Everybody~
    I just joined this forum tonight and there is so much great information. I have a few questions and I would appreciate ANY answers anyone could give.
    Welcome!! We'll do the best we can!

-When you are using the Table Service tickets at restaurants are there only certain items that you can order?
    Okay, first of all, there are no "tickets". When you purchase the Disney Dining Plan, your "Key to the World Card" will serve as your room key, your park admission, a room charge card, and your dining plan credits. All on one single card per person in your party. When you use your dining plan credits, you just have the cast member swipe your card like you would a credit card, and your receipt will tell you the number of credits used and remaining.

Now, as to your question - in general, you can order any entrée and dessert on the menu, regardless of price. The exception are "add-ons". For example, you might see something like "Add a shrimp skewer for $4 more" next to a steak on the menu. You can't get the shrimp skewer with your dining plan credits - just the steak itself. For beverages, you can get any non-specialty non-alcoholic beverage. If you purchased the Deluxe Dining Plan instead of the Basic plan, you can also order any appetizer on the menu.

-I understand that for Table Service restaurants that I need to make reservations but what about just being out at the parks during the day? Are there just places that we can pop in or just grab and go?
    You can "pop in" to any of the counter service places. You don't need to (and can't) make reservations for the counter service restaurants. Your table service credits are distinct from your counter service credits. You can't use a table service credit at a counter service location, nor vice-versa.

You can *try* to "pop in" to a table service location, but I wouldn't rely on it. Many restaurants are completely booked every day. Make your reservations now. When you actually get to the parks, if you decide "you know, I'd really like to eat *here* tonight instead of where we have a reservation", by all means - go over to the new place and see if you can get it. If you can, have them cancel your other reservation. With very few exceptions (like Cinderella Castle) there are no penalties for canceling a reservation. If there are, the CM will inform you when you make it.

-Can you use tickets for the Character Breakfasts/Lunches/Dinners or do you have to pay in cash?
    You can use the dining credits for character meals as well as non-character meals. Be aware that some meals (both character and non-character) are "premium" locations and charge two credits per person. Take a look at the Dining Plan brochure from DisneyWorld.com for a full list of all restaurants (character and non-character) and which ones charge two credits: http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/me...s/08Dining.pdf

How much cash for food should we take?
    This is personal preference. When I go, the only cash I bring with me is for tips for the housekeeping staff, Disney's Magical Express busdrivers, and bartenders at Pleasure Island. Everything else goes on my Key to the World Card. There are ATMs at each park and resort and Downtown Disney, if you find that you need more cash.

Do you think it is beneficial to go up to Deluxe? (It will be myself, my husband and my son (4).
    If you're talking about the Deluxe Resort category, again, personal preference. It depends on what you're planning to do, how you're planning to vacation. When I go, I'm in the parks from opening to closing. So I need a room for nothing more than a roof, bed, and shower. So I always go Value. If you're thinking of spending more time in the resorts, you might want to consider it.

If you're talking about the Deluxe Dining Plan, I'd have to say no. That's just an insane amount of food, for an insane price. Three complete meals (table or counter - your pick) every day, including appetizer and dessert, plus two snacks every day.... that's just too much food for any one person.

I'm sure I have several other questions but I'm a little overwhelmed .
    Feel free to ask away. :-) I heartily recommend browsing Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World and purchasing The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, both terrific resources.

Thank you all so much!

My husband did have one question. We are planning on staying for Sun-Fri days and 5 nights. If we go with the Basic meal plan and say we don't get to our room until late afternoon on Sunday and we leave Friday morning, do we still get the 3 tickets (1 counter, 1 table and 1snack) on that Sunday and Friday even though we won't be there the whole time? If so, then I think that would effect our decision on going up to the Deluxer package or not.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    You get 1 counter, 1 table, 1 snack per person per NIGHT of your reservation. What time you check in and check out is irrelevant. You are staying Five nights, so you will have a grand total of 15 counter, 15 table, 15 snacks on your account. They do not have to be used 3 per day, they can be used whenever you want. All the credits in your account are put on your account as soon as you check in. You don't get a new day's worth each morning.

So the answer to your question is No, you do not get credits for both Sunday and Friday. That would be a total of 6 per person. You get credits per NIGHT of the reservation, not per day. You can start using the credits as soon as you check in, however, and you can continue to use any you have left up through midnight of the day you checkout.

I typically will use a table service for dinner on the night I arrive, and a counter service for lunch on the day I leave, depending on what the timing is.

K. With what everyone has said and other stuff I've read, I think we are just going to go with the basic plan. Thanks!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian