Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Yak and Yeti- DDP card policy? in the Vacation Planning forums; Really enjoyed the food @ Yak and Yeti earlier this month, but was baffled by their "policy" concerning DDP and key to the world cards. As we placed our drink ...
    Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

Yak and Yeti- DDP card policy?

Really enjoyed the food @ Yak and Yeti earlier this month, but was baffled by their "policy" concerning DDP and key to the world cards.

As we placed our drink order, our server asked if we were on the DDP, to which we replied yes. He then asked to see our card, took it, tucked it away in his apron and walked back toward the kitchen. I looked at my wife who had the same puzzled look on her face as I did and wondered what was going on.

I saw our server working his way around the other side of the restaurant and summoned him back to our table. I asked him where my card was and he patted his apron. I held my hand out and told him I wanted it back, to which he replied that it was the restaurant's policy to hold on to key to the world cards until the end of the meal. I then extended my hand further and with a more firm tone re-itterated that I wanted my card back. He then reached into his apron, pulled out 7 or 8 key to the world cards and placed mine in the palm of my hand.

He then tried to explain more about the "policy", to which I explained that my "policy" was not to let anyone take off with my room key, credit card and park admission and wander around as they please. Neither of us got short with the other during our discussion, and the rest of the meal went well, but I can't understand the purpose of retaining cards for the duration of a meal. I have never heard or experienced this at any other restaurant and surely did not expect it @ WDW. Anyone else had this happen?
    Last edited by Serkazong; 05-31-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling

lexitoad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    This happened to us a couple of times but not at every restaurant. Some would just glance at it and then want it again at the end of the service others would just take it. I didn't mind so much because there were 4 of us in the party (we could all get back to the room and get a replacement) and none of our keys were linked to a credit card. I can understand them all doing it one way or another but why not evey restaurant the same?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    In most restaurants, they ask to see the Key to the World card and verify that it does say you have the dining plan printed on the front.

Yak & Yeti is not owned by Disney, it's run by the same people who run Rainforest Cafe. The restaurants not owned by Disney have their own cash register systems and methods of authorizing the plan.

I also experienced the card holding thing at Yak & Yeti, and yes, it made me nervous. They also had the strangest set of bills - one with 'their' price, one with 'Disney's' price, and then a hand-written note with the tip estimate.

I'm curious what his explanation of the "policy" was. Do they have to call somewhere to confirm you have the appropriate credits available?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    We did not have this happen in November at Yak & Yeti and they were still in their learning curve. I can't imagine why they would need to hold it in their apron??? The headaches it could cause if they doled it out to the wrong person if you have your credit card privileges. I would not give them that card to hold for an hour+ any more then I would give them my credit card when I sat down to keep until I left. Makes you wonder about management when they dream up these policies. And then you wonder if Disney knows what the restaurants that they do not own are doing.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    I wasn't the best listener when our server was explaining the Yak & Yeti DDP card policy, but the explanation involved expediting our checkout once we were finished and allowing the servers to keep better track of their customers.

Once seated for a table service meal, I guess it would be polite to lay my card out on the table so the server can have a look upon their arrival. I wouldn't mind that at all. I am also curious what Disney's take on this is.