Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Dining Discuss Need dining advice? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello, If anyone is planning a trip and needs some advice for WDW restaurants, I'm happy to make suggestions...based on 35 trips worth of experience eating all over the "world". ...
  1. #1
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41

    Need dining advice?

    Hello,
    If anyone is planning a trip and needs some advice for WDW restaurants, I'm happy to make suggestions...based on 35 trips worth of experience eating all over the "world". I'm especially a big fan of Disney hotel dining but I can help you in the parks, too...
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

  2. #2
    disneyloverrr14 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    51

    Helppp

    Quote Originally Posted by dolce20 View Post
    Hello,
    If anyone is planning a trip and needs some advice for WDW restaurants, I'm happy to make suggestions...based on 35 trips worth of experience eating all over the "world". I'm especially a big fan of Disney hotel dining but I can help you in the parks, too...
    Well then you are just the person I need...I need two more reservations...

    Can you help me..?
    I Have a party of 6...and we are all pretty adventurous eaters except for my dad to eat there it has to be healthy...Or at least somewhat healthy..,no where like 50's Prime Time Cafe or Sci Fi Diner...etc. Plus it needs to be one ticket on the Dining Plan..And preferably no buffets..Do you think you could help me/us?
    Please!
    JessicaRoseexox

    "All who come to this happy place welcome....."
    -Walt Disney

  3. #3
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41
    I'd be happy to help! I'm not 100% knowledgable on the Disney dining plan but I can definitely help you with restaurants. Tell me, on the days you still have open for dinner options, what park will you be in that day?

    If you want something different, Spoodles at the Boardwalk is nice...although they kind of Americanized their menu ever so slightly in the past couple years.

    I love the 2 restaurants at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I can't say enough about them. Jiko is the one that's sit-down and not a buffet (you mentioned you didn't want a buffet). It's very adventurous cooking as far as the spices go, but the servers will answer all your questions. Your dad will certainly find lots of healthy options here, too. Plus, it's the only all-African wine list in the entire U.S. Do try a wine even if you're not a big wine drinker. Your server will help you make a great selection. The atmosphere is serene and you can walk the hotel grounds after to help digest your meal. Guides from Africa roam the property to talk about the animals you're watching. A wonderful place.

    Any other suggestions needed, just let me know!!!

    Best Regards,
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

  4. #4
    babadudu is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1
    Hi

    thank you so much for providing this place and help out.

    I will be travelling to disney world for the first time ever and I have done tons of research but cannot decide what to eat

    I have purchased the Deluxe Dining option so I was thinking about dining at a signature restaurant every night and probably try something nice in the afternoon.

    I did not purchased the Park Hooper and I am staying at the Port Orlean Riverside
    so if it's possbile would you suggest one of the must try signature restaurant/restaurant in the park and or of resorts?

    I will only be there for 6 days with my girlfriend and will be visiting 4 major theme parks.(if possible)

    and from your good opinion I will try the Jiko in one of the day



    thanks so much for any help

    regards,

    Michael
    Last edited by babadudu; 08-05-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: ADD INFO

  5. #5
    SnwhtNdwrfs's Avatar
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Posts
    45,905
    I love Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. Excellent food and a must for our family. We love the buffalo and the salmon. The berry cobbler is excellent and we have had never had a bad meal there.


  6. #6
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41

    Cool

    Babadudu,

    My pleasure to help! I'm glad you're going to try Jiko. There's nothing like it and I know you'll have a wonderful new experience.

    Other great finer dining experiences in the World? I agree with the prior post on Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge. They are known for their wonderful wine list (mostly all from the Pacific northwest regions; delightful wines and the servers are all trained to help you make a great decision to compliment your meal). Don't miss their signature dishes such as the salmon, wild game and their famous berry cobbler for dessert.

    The California Grill in the Contemporary is popular with a killer view of the Kingdom/fireworks. Definitely romantic. They have flat bread pizzas, sushi, and other gourmet fare with a west-coast feel. I don't make it a point to come back here all the time. I'm from NJ/NYC and have plenty of great sushi and such at home.

    If you are a steak lover, I highly suggest the Yachtman's Steakhouse at the Yacht Club. I love this place. Crisp and handsome decor and if you want some romance, get the chateau briand for two. It's a tender cut of meat and worth the steep price.

    If you love seafood, try Flying Fish at the Boardwalk. Sit at the bar if you love watching the chefs at work. Potato crusted snapper is their classic dish and there's plenty to do after dinner. Walking the boardwalk is magical at night.

    HAVE FUN and let me know if you need more help.

    Best,
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

  7. #7
    disneyloverrr14 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by dolce20 View Post
    I'd be happy to help! I'm not 100% knowledgable on the Disney dining plan but I can definitely help you with restaurants. Tell me, on the days you still have open for dinner options, what park will you be in that day?

    If you want something different, Spoodles at the Boardwalk is nice...although they kind of Americanized their menu ever so slightly in the past couple years.

    I love the 2 restaurants at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I can't say enough about them. Jiko is the one that's sit-down and not a buffet (you mentioned you didn't want a buffet). It's very adventurous cooking as far as the spices go, but the servers will answer all your questions. Your dad will certainly find lots of healthy options here, too. Plus, it's the only all-African wine list in the entire U.S. Do try a wine even if you're not a big wine drinker. Your server will help you make a great selection. The atmosphere is serene and you can walk the hotel grounds after to help digest your meal. Guides from Africa roam the property to talk about the animals you're watching. A wonderful place.

    Any other suggestions needed, just let me know!!!

    Best Regards,
    Well we have reservations at Jiko our first night there...and it doesnt really ,matter to us what park were in because of park hopper.....
    So do you have any REALLY good places to eat in the park and or hotels that are only one ticket on the dining plan?

    Thanks!
    JessicaRoseexox

    "All who come to this happy place welcome....."
    -Walt Disney

  8. #8
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41
    Hi Jessica,
    No problem!

    Some suggestions I have for you using only 1 ticket on your meal plan (not 2!) are:

    Boma (buffet in Animal Kingdom Lodge) *however, since you already booked Jiko, I suppose it isn't absolutely necessary to also eat at Boma, too. Great choice if you're trying to please vegetarians or healthy eaters. Watermelon rind salad, interesting soups, etc.

    Cape May Cafe (buffet in Beach Club) if you're a lover of clams, corn on the cob, ribs, salads, etc. then it's a great pick. If you're not a clam lover, take a pass. They also have a great buffet just for the kids! A family favorite of mine for many years. Gets busy so don't expect your table right on time.

    Le Cellier Steakhouse (Canada pavillion in EPCOT) this restaurant just gets better over the years. Try their famous cheddar cheese soup. Word caught on about this place so you may not get a seat at this popular place!

    Raglan Road (Downtown Disney) an overlooked dinner choice probably due to misconception about it being strictly "bar food". They happen to have some lovely choices for dinner in the way of fish or meat. The later you go, the more fun (and drunk) the crowd gets but I think you'll enjoy the live (and loud) Irish music!

    Hope this helps. As you know, the "better" restaurants take two tickets but these above mentioned restaurants are nothing to be disappointed about.

    Cheers!
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

  9. #9
    disneyloverrr14 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by dolce20 View Post
    Hi Jessica,
    No problem!

    Some suggestions I have for you using only 1 ticket on your meal plan (not 2!) are:

    Boma (buffet in Animal Kingdom Lodge) *however, since you already booked Jiko, I suppose it isn't absolutely necessary to also eat at Boma, too. Great choice if you're trying to please vegetarians or healthy eaters. Watermelon rind salad, interesting soups, etc.

    Cape May Cafe (buffet in Beach Club) if you're a lover of clams, corn on the cob, ribs, salads, etc. then it's a great pick. If you're not a clam lover, take a pass. They also have a great buffet just for the kids! A family favorite of mine for many years. Gets busy so don't expect your table right on time.

    Le Cellier Steakhouse (Canada pavillion in EPCOT) this restaurant just gets better over the years. Try their famous cheddar cheese soup. Word caught on about this place so you may not get a seat at this popular place!

    Raglan Road (Downtown Disney) an overlooked dinner choice probably due to misconception about it being strictly "bar food". They happen to have some lovely choices for dinner in the way of fish or meat. The later you go, the more fun (and drunk) the crowd gets but I think you'll enjoy the live (and loud) Irish music!

    Hope this helps. As you know, the "better" restaurants take two tickets but these above mentioned restaurants are nothing to be disappointed about.

    Cheers!

    Thank you...
    Are you positive there arent any more?

    If so that would be wonderful!
    JessicaRoseexox

    "All who come to this happy place welcome....."
    -Walt Disney

  10. #10
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41

    Smile

    Wow, you want more?

    Okay. Well, I think you mentioned you want to keep it healthy. If you consider "low carb" heathly then you may want to try my persoanl favorite dinner place Ohana's.

    Ohana is located in the gorgeous Polynesian Resort's main building (Great Ceremonial House). While it's a popular breakfast choice, Ohana's really shines at night with their all-you-can-eat fire grilled meat fest. There's plenty of entertainment and atmosphere here and if you plan just right, you can view the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom across the way.

    Tutto Italia is the new place in the Italian pavillion in EPCOT. I was a big fan of it while it was still Alfredo's. I assume it's still great. If you're a lover of Italian food, why not give it a try? Especially if you can't get in to Le Cellier in Canada.

    Good luck!
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

  11. #11
    disneyloverrr14 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by dolce20 View Post
    Wow, you want more?

    Okay. Well, I think you mentioned you want to keep it healthy. If you consider "low carb" heathly then you may want to try my persoanl favorite dinner place Ohana's.

    Ohana is located in the gorgeous Polynesian Resort's main building (Great Ceremonial House). While it's a popular breakfast choice, Ohana's really shines at night with their all-you-can-eat fire grilled meat fest. There's plenty of entertainment and atmosphere here and if you plan just right, you can view the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom across the way.

    Tutto Italia is the new place in the Italian pavillion in EPCOT. I was a big fan of it while it was still Alfredo's. I assume it's still great. If you're a lover of Italian food, why not give it a try? Especially if you can't get in to Le Cellier in Canada.

    Good luck!


    Well we have had reservations at Ohana...for a while now...and our friends ate at Tutto Italia and they said it was Horrible

    Now i know your going to kill me...
    But any more suggestions?
    that would be great if you did!
    JessicaRoseexox

    "All who come to this happy place welcome....."
    -Walt Disney

  12. #12
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41
    I'm not going to kill you!

    Glad you got in to Ohana and Jiko.
    I would try for the other suggestions I had such as Cape May, Le Cellier, or Raglan Road.

    I used to love San Angel Inn in Mexico but I feel the service went way downhill. I actually like the restaurant in Morrocco quite a bit, Marrakesh. The atmosphere and waitstaff are great and the food isn't your everyday stuff.

    Good luck.
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

  13. #13
    SnwhtNdwrfs's Avatar
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Posts
    45,905
    Whispering Canyon can be quite an adventure. It has good food and it is interactive, if the servers are up to it. It is one of my children's favorite restaurant and they can't wait to go back to eat there.


  14. #14
    disneyloverrr14 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by dolce20 View Post
    I'm not going to kill you!

    Glad you got in to Ohana and Jiko.
    I would try for the other suggestions I had such as Cape May, Le Cellier, or Raglan Road.

    I used to love San Angel Inn in Mexico but I feel the service went way downhill. I actually like the restaurant in Morrocco quite a bit, Marrakesh. The atmosphere and waitstaff are great and the food isn't your everyday stuff.

    Good luck.
    Well Le cellier and Raglan Road or Marrakesh had reservations available.

    And my father didnt like the menu at Cape May CAfe...

    So since your not going to kill me its safe to ask....'any more?"

    That would be wonderful!
    JessicaRoseexox

    "All who come to this happy place welcome....."
    -Walt Disney

  15. #15
    dolce20's Avatar
    dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    41
    No killing, don't worry! I could tell you more restaurants that take one dining ticket but the ones I told you are truly my personal favorites. Like I said, Kona Cafe in the Poly is great. Since you're already going to Ohaha (my absolute fave) then maybe you want to skip Kona or try it for lunch as opposed to dinner. Whispering Canyon is a good one-ticket dinner but it is a limited menu. It's an all you can eat but with just a few items. The service and atmostphere is festive and it's a great hotel (Wilderness Lodge) to walk around in after.

    If I were you I'd try for a few of the more upscale restaurants to mix in with the 1-ticket places.

    Good luck!
    Jamie


    33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

    "We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •