Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Change at Boma and other buffets in the Vacation Planning forums; I just read this on All Ears, a comment sent into them. Since we will be eating at Boma next week I find this disappointing. Hearing it is also happening ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Change at Boma and other buffets

I just read this on All Ears, a comment sent into them. Since we will be eating at Boma next week I find this disappointing. Hearing it is also happening at other buffets a bit more irking but not surprising. The kids meals were not great to start with so down grading them more disappointing.

From All Ears Hears:

We just returned from a quick jaunt to
    the World and ate at our favorite restaurant, Boma. We have
    dined at this restaurant on all of our visits over the last few
    years. The biggest draw for us has always been the prime rib. On
    this visit, we were very disappointed to learn that they are no
    longer serving prime rib... and this change isn't unique to
    Boma. Across property, they have replaced prime rib at carving
    stations with a "roasted strip loin". Management cited that it
    is actually a better cut of meat (think "New York strip") and
    healthier (less fat). Our personal preference is the juicy prime
    rib. The new meat tasted more like roast beef to us. This change
    will drastically impact our decision on dining at Boma and other
    buffets. The menu outside Boma still lists prime rib as a menu
    item. Also, the kids' buffet now has fried chicken wings instead
    of the fried chicken strips they used to have. Our server
    brought us a plate of chicken nuggets instead, but they were
    definitely not as tasty as the old standard Disney chicken
    strips that our kids looked forward to.

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    Hmm thats interesting to hear...I have noticed the disappearance of items like the chicken strips around the parks and I find it to be a little odd since things such as these seem to be favorites of many people who visit.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    This change won't affect me, really not much of a beef eater! I guess they are trying to save a few bucks, not surprising with everything that has been going on. I for one, understand that some things need to change and we need to adapt. As for the nuggets, I don't think my kids would care much what was for lunch, strips or nuggets, that is the last thing on their mind when there is fun to be had in the parks! Just my two cents.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    I just wish they would not continue to raise table service prices when they cut costs on what they serve... then put out some statement telling me how much better I'm going to enjoy paying more for less.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I just wish they would not continue to raise table service prices when they cut costs on what they serve... then put out some statement telling me how much better I'm going to enjoy paying more for less.
    Exactly!
    Eisner overhauled Disney Dining in the early 90's making eating at Disney an Unique and enjoyable experience though albeit expensive. Prior to that Disney food was down right mocked.
    Prior to our econemy tanking Disney monthly has been little by little dismantling the quality and upping the prices. Removing Guests favorite foods and spinning it as a positive. Example: Remove appetizer from DDP, lower price a single dollar and tip no longer included. Spin: Guests said too much food and wanted control over tipping and service. While some can be accepting I approach it from an educated consumers point of view. Less for more is a negative. I can't imagine what would make me want to adapt to Disney's newest philosophy of dining.

As the economy tightens I imagine many guests will be less frivolous with their daily spending allowance at the world. I've already seen posts of guests bringing their own liquor, finding alternatives for breakfast and sharing meals. I too for the first time have booked Pop Century instead of a moderate or deluxe hotel for cost not ambiance. For me, I need to make my dollars go farther. I have an addiction to Disney that I pay dearly for. I just need to be wiser in how I spend it. I canceled our large group ressie for Boma. I've re-booked us at LeCellier where we will have control over what we order, bonus, we will be served verses bopping up and down at a buffet. I shot a e-mail to Disney and a voice mail to AK management explaining our cancellation. Like gasoline and airfare, the price didn't come down until consumption/reservations dropped. Our airfare is a bargain for next week since I diligently tweeked it (enough to pay for our 2009 air.) That is my version of adapting. Just my opinion.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Yet another case of paying more for less. Actually, I'm surprised there's not an extra charge for buns when you order a hotdog or a hamburger. Ooops...I hope they don't read this post.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    Haunted Gabe, I have noticed the same things that you have over the past few years. I did write a letter to Guest Relations about my last trip in June and received a call back. I explained that there were a few problems with service (having to get our own re-fills at Hollywood & Vine, trying to seat our family of 5 with a family of 4 at Biergarten when the table only accomodates 8... and there were plenty of empty tables), but the reason we will no longer eat at TS restaurants is that I do not feel the food or experience are worth the cost. Even if they fixed service, the driving force behind my decision was that I felt the price is not worth the value of what you receive.

The CM, Maria Kirkland, I spoke with was very nice and recorded the information. I explained that I will still vacation at the World and really love Disney, but will not patronize the TS meals at their current prices. I was also treated to Special Holiday pricing... I suppose for Flag Day. It wasn't like service or meals improved for the extra cost. I don't know if anything will come of my call and letter, but I think if you really like WDW, then you should at least help them by voicing your opinion.

One final point, I wholeheartedly agree that I do not like "spin" telling me that paying more for less is what the customer or guest was asking for.

BTW, through orlandovacations.com, I booked a 4 BR, 2 1/2 BA two-story vacation home with a private pool and spa in a gated community for less than a value resort. It was only 7 miles from WDW and our commute time, except MK, to the parks was less than 30 minutes from front door to being through the turnstiles. We could leave the house at 8:25 and make rope drop at E, DS, and AK!

Cameo is offline And the voila... you've got a Figment!
    Riding my tricycle around the parking lot
    I actually ate at Boma for the first time last Saturday night. I most certainly enjoyed two pieces of excellent prime rib during my meal. Not sure if it was brought out special for the holiday crowds or what, but I was surprised to read that quote in AllEars after having had such a wonderful meal.

As for chicken tenders... I heard at one point that they were getting rid of the ones they previously used due to trans fat concerns. Could be why we're seeing the new nuggets instead.
    ~Sarah~

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

"Tom Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really don't like prime rib and with the diet that I'm on I'm really not supposed to have it anyway, but we can have the sirloin they replaced it with.

However, I do miss the chicken fingers.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

I got a chuckle out of this article. Apparently the guests asked for this?
    The second half of the article calls that out.

From Scott Joesph's Orlando Food Blog
    Disney Guests Ask "Where's the Beef?" Prime Rib Missing From Buffets

Prime rib has been replaced on buffet serving lines at Walt Disney World restaurants with whole strip loins. The official, company line is that the switch was made for aesthetic reasons. Lenny DeGeorge told me that prime rib is not meant to be cut into small slices, which is how people in a buffet situation request it. He says they want smaller portions because they're sampling a lot of different things and don't want to fill up on just prime rib. And when cutting small pieces you can get a lot of fat.
    The whole strip loin, he says, is better suited for smaller slicing. So at venues like Boma, the all-you-can-eat walkabout buffet at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, the prime rib is out and the whole strip loins are in, and on the spit with the signature African blend of spices.

But is that the real reason for the change? Could it be that strip loins are cheaper than standing rib roasts? Restaurants, even those at Walt Disney World, are trying to find ways of cutting costs in this depressed economy. DeGeorge says the strips are a little less expensive, but he points out that prime rib hasn't been banished entirely from the Kingdom. "We're still using tons and tons of prime rib," he says. You can still find it at such places as Olivia's, Boatwright's and Captain's Grill at the Yacht and Beach Club.
    And when he says tons and tons, he means that quite literally. He estimates Disney serves between 400 and 500 thousand pounds of prime rib annually. Just not at all-you-can-eat venues anymore.
    So watch that number to go down next year.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I ate at Boma this evening and had a fabulous piece of beef. It was listed as prime rib on the menu, but I actually forgot to check the name on the card as the beef was placed on my plate. I actually could have settled for a smaller piece of meat only because I wanted to sample more of the items that were offered. My slice was probably twice what is recommended for a serving, but.... I ate it all!
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.