Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Epcot Dining Question in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, I guess you'd just call it dreaming at this point, but on my next trip to WDW, I was thinking of trying either the Garden Grill, or the Coral ...
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Question Epcot Dining Question

Well, I guess you'd just call it dreaming at this point, but on my next trip to WDW, I was thinking of trying either the Garden Grill, or the Coral Reef resturant for dinner. However, I have heard some poor reviews about both resturants. Has anyone been to either of them recently? Both seem pretty cool, but im not sure from some of the reviews I read. I guess I could try for another WS resturaunt (seeing as my trip is 3+ years away and im just wondeeing and trying to entertain myself, there's no urgency. I was just wondering.

Thanks!
    ~Disney2000
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I like both restaurants. The Garden Grill has a lot of comfort food and many people really like the catfish (I'm not a fan). The kids like the characters coming by and it is cool that the restaurant revolves. Of course, it was broken on our trip, but when it works it is pretty cool.

My family also likes Coral Reef. They enjoy the watching the sea life and we like the food. Nothing stands out as being outstanding but we have enjoyed the experience.

Keep planning and thinking! That's the fun part!

so how does the garden grill revolve? And the garden grill is a character dinner? sounds fun would you prefer one of these resturants or another like morocco or japan? I'd kinda like the sounds of the settings, but im not really sure about the food.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!

Are you 23? I am!

thunderman04-07 is offline Annual Passholder
    I just got back from a trip to WDW and we had dinner at Garden Grill on Wednesday night. We had a great time, the only characters there are Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale. The restaurant did revolve while we were there, and our server, Patrick, was the greatest. Really friendly, the entire experience was wonderful.

I have also eaten at the Coral Reef, really aside from the lack of characters there it seemed like a more formal dining experience.

Hope this all helps!
    Sept 2004- Polynesian March 2005- Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec 2005- Offsite (yeah wont be doing that again...) April 2006- Contemporary Nov 2006- Grand Floridian April 2007- All Star Movies Dec 2007- Coronado Springs July 2008- Pop Century Oct 2008- All Star Sports Jan 2009- All Star Sports
    Pretty good sure as your born!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    so how does the garden grill revolve? And the garden grill is a character dinner? sounds fun would you prefer one of these resturants or another like morocco or japan? I'd kinda like the sounds of the settings, but im not really sure about the food.
    I think it revolves like a carousel. And it is a character dinner, it is also a family style buffet where they bring you more food as you eat if you would like more.
    Sept 2004- Polynesian March 2005- Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec 2005- Offsite (yeah wont be doing that again...) April 2006- Contemporary Nov 2006- Grand Floridian April 2007- All Star Movies Dec 2007- Coronado Springs July 2008- Pop Century Oct 2008- All Star Sports Jan 2009- All Star Sports

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    .I like each of the restaurants listed for various reasons. I like Garden Grill because of comfort foods (and all you can eat) as well as the fact Characters are there. Coral Reef is great for atmosphere and very quiet and romantic. Teppan Edo has very good food and good entertainment while they cook your food. Our chef was wonderful and very good with the c hildren. Morocco is fun and a different experience than anything I can see around here. My friends like the Couscou (sp) and I prefer the kebabs.

If I was going with my DH only I would probably prefer Coral Reef. With the kids, I would probably pick Garden Grill or Teppan Edo. Another new favorite of mine is Rose and Crown and my friends like Nine Dragons --- Oh no! Other choices!

Oooooo I love me some Rose and Crown. And Nine Dragons is always good to eat at! I do like the Tangerine Cafe to though.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Of those two restaurants, I have only eaten at the Garden Grill. Aside from the characters, I was VERY dissapointed in the meal. I dined with my sister and my dad, and none of us ate more than the one platter of food that they brought out. Everything was very dry and the stuffing was definately just Stovetop stuffing. I feel like I could have gotten the same thing right outside the Disney gates for about $10-$12. Basically, it was nothing more than average (and it didn't help that the restaurant wasn't rotating when we were there) - looking back, I would have been much happier changing in that TS credit for a CS meal.

Trust me - go to one of the restaurants in the World Showcase for an experience that you wouldn't be able to experience in your hometown, or your own kitchen.
    ~Ashleigh

Definetely if you are looking for a good experience, find something nice in the World Showcase. I have eaten at the restaurant in Germany, it was really good. I have also heard good things about the restaurants in Norway and Mexico.

Thanks for the help! so, I am planning on trying to get reservations at Le Cellier one night, and im not sure if I'd like to go to France or Germany again, I loved both, but I'd like to try something new. I don't really think I'd want to go to Mexico, seeing as the history lesson about the aztecs freaked me out, and I don't think i'd like to stare at the pyramid the entire meal. I did really like germany, but I kinda felt that we got lucky because I know part of the experience depends on who you are eting with. Norway's food doesn't really appeal to me, does anyone agree/disagree?

Thanks again for the help!

Are you 23? I am!

Try and get Rose and Crown reserved at night for illuminations, and get a seat on the patio. Its great to watch from there so long as the wind is blowing towards China.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    What about eating in China, Japan, or Italy? Looking at the menus on Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World , I see something on each of those menus that looks amazing (although I am a VERY picky eater) - something that I probably won't be able to get easily elsewhere.

As a picky eater (I'm not saying that you are or anything), I learned an important lesson last summer. We took a cruise on the Wonder and for each of my dinners, I picked an entree that I would normally never touch at a regular restaurant. I figured that if I didn't like it, there were plenty of CS-type places I could go and grab dinner afterwards (since the cruise was pretty much all-inclusive, I didn't really have anything to lose). The funny part about it was that I LOVED everything I chose. Since then, I've really been able to expand my horizons, food-wise. The moral? Choose a restaurant that you won't be able to find easily in your hometown and try it - I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry I was so long-winded, but I hope this helps!
    ~Ashleigh