Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss How do you eat? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm sure that is probably a confusing title, but here's what I mean... when you are spending time in The World (or any other theme park for that matter), how ...
    Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder

How do you eat?

I'm sure that is probably a confusing title, but here's what I mean...

when you are spending time in The World (or any other theme park for that matter), how do you plan you meals for the day? Do you always eat 3 meals plus snacks? do you only snack? do you forgo eating all together because of the price of food?

I generally will make sure that I eat some kind of breakfast off property (I find that by eating breakfast, as long as I stay busy I don't need any more major meals). Then it varies. Often i will just grab an occassional snack (maybe 2 over the course of the whole day) and then maybe grab something quick along the ride home. sometimes I will get some kind of counter service lunch and just share the 1 meal with my fiance (basically replacing the smaller snacking with a shared meal). Not often, but sometimes we actually can afford a fun meal and will try something interesting somewhere in the middle of the day (making this the 1 and only meal of the day).

hope that doesn't come across as too confusing. we don't usually have a lot of money to spare on things like food. Or, if we do we would just rather conserve that money to spend on other "gifts" to take home for ourselves in the form of merchandise. what kind of approach do you take?
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

Loric is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I usually do breakfast off property on the drive there, or if I'm staying overnight we pack a few basic things like mini-doughnuts and nutrigrain bars - just to get something in our systems.

We usually have one sit down meal and one quick-service meal. There's lots of variety to choose from lately at the parks - quick service has expanded several of the menus vastly.

But, if we're in a pinch or can't find something that fit us, we'll just snack and do only quick service. We don't ever have to do a sit-down meal.

My faves: Salad from the Tomorrowland Terrace, Roast Beef Sandwich from electric Umbrella, Chicken Fingers anywhere, Turkey Pita Wrap from the now-gone Pure and Simple, and the homemade soup (last time it was Cinderella Pumpkin) at the Land.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    We usually with grab something at our hotel (I like to try and stay on-property) for breakfast - somtimes just something quick (unless it's Tonga Toast!). Then, I basically eat my way around WDW. I'll snack throughout the day (one Dole Whip, please), and try and hit some of my favorites (Pecos Bill's, other quick service places). I'll usually go for one table-service a day, just to relax and get away from the burgers and fries (or burritos at the San Angel) all the time.

Of course, I have to grab some popcorn on the way out. Can't break tradition. (God forbid I don't gain 30 lbs. when I go)

A lot depends on how much time we have, too. If I'm there for a while, I'll have a nice meal at maybe the Flying Fish, or head over to one of the other resorts. If it's crunch time... it's a Turkey Leg and back in line for me!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Loric is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I tried eating a turkey-leg once, I was sooooooooo ill. My friendly fellow CM's have the event documented since they put me up to it.

To understand the CM relationship to Turkey Legs you have to imagine being surrounded by them all day and not being able to escape the smell - that 100 degree trashcan you toss it into and walk away from we're positioned next for hours.

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm sorry. that can't be fun.

I like the big turkey legs sometimes (have to be in the right mood), but even sharing we never seem to be able to eat the whole thing.
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Those turkey legs make me want to puke everytime I walk past the booth. I can't imagine being the CM who has to work it for a shift!!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

kmzairdetail is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Turkey legs were great!!!!!!!! Had at least 1 a day! That and a big pretzle was a good lunch for all 3 of us!! And cheap too! Look for my Trip report soon
    Thanks Bob!!!!!!! LV Tour 2005

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    My favorite quickie lunch is a Turkey Leg followed up fro dessert my some Mickey Ice Cream (sort-of like a Klonike bar on a stick in the sahpe of Mickey's head) For a sit-down meal when I'm at MK I like O'Hana, Chef Mickey's, and California Grill (just a monorail ride away!). At Epcot, I would go to Sushine Season Food Fair for a snack and Garden Grill or the Coral Reef for a sit-down. In the Studios, the sit-down restaurants that are hands-down Hollywood Brown Derby, 50 Prime Time, and Sci-Fi (I gotta eat at at least one of those!) At AK, I go to either Rainforest or Restaurantosaurus. Downtown Disney, go with Wolfgang Puck Cafe or Rainforest. Con't go wrong there. I tend to like the sit-downs, as you can see!

Just my 2 cents...but with inflation, it's more like a dollar! (Sorry...Ellen said that, and she's got a ride in WDW...get it? No? That's not new to me)
    -Taylor
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Mr. iwannabeminnie and I LOVE to eat at WDW. It is as much fun as the attractions! We are not big breakfast eaters, so we usually grab a roll or something. For our last trip we stayed in a value resort for the first time (Movies) and discovered the food court. Great breakfast options! The fruit and cheese tray is our favorite breakfast. We are sold on values now just for the food court (we are never in the room anyway--out the door by 7:00 am not to return until midnight kind of people). We always have at least ONE sit down meal a day. Sometimes we have TWO. It depends on the park(s) we are going to be in on that day. Now, that being said, we generally split meals. The only times we don't split meals is buffet or family style meals. We also split snacks. One Dole Whip for the two of us is plenty. If we get the turkey leg, we don't usually finish it. Yes, I know there are starving children in Africa, but there are millions of overweight Americans who would be better off throwing half of that turkey leg away.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Since I am so OC at times, we usually follow a routine:

Breakfast in the room; lunch at the park around 1 or so; back to the room for nappies and then supper/dinner at the resort food court before heading to one of the parks for a nightime show. Back at the resort we have a nightcap using our reuseable mugs, of course!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    We always bring lots of food and snacks from home and restock at a grocery store in Orlando. We eat breakfast from that and head to the park. Then we eat "lupper" (or is it "sunch" ) usually between 4 and 6 pm. Then if someone is hungry later, they can eat from the snacks at the hotel. This way, we only have to buy one meal at the park - a big money saver for a family of 6.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    We like to buy groceries for the week, so we save money by eating many breakfasts, a few lunches, and a couple dinners in our room. We also stock up on snacks, water, gatorade, etc. to bring into the parks. Since we went down the day after Thanksgiving this year, my mom packed us leftovers in a cooler we took down. It worked well.
    It's nice having a full kitchen in your room.

Doing it this way allows us to eat at more sit down places during our trip instead of going from counter service to counter service all week.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

akur is offline 1 hour's drive to WDW.

Publix

We hit a Publix on the way to the room, buy some dry good breakfast food (cereal, coffee cake, etc), and some coffee type drinks (I forget the brand, similar to the bottled frappuccinos, but not as expensive) that do not need refrigeration. We put 2 on ice the night before (if we don't have a fridge) and they're nice and cool in the morning. If we stay off-site, we choose a hotel with breakfast. We skip lunch on the weekends at home so we do it also at the parks, although we may snack in the afternoon (dole whip, ice cream). Once we did the GF afternoon tea. Then we have a big dinner once we leave the parks (we may leave at 6, eat, then go back). We try not to eat too much at the parks since it's so expensive, but in EPCOT we may eat in the carry-out FW places (specially like schwarma in Morrocco and the Teriyaki place in Japan.)
    Ana The Librarian

I trade books! See my available list at:
    Books available

Have books to trade? Join Paperback Swap

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    how was the afternoon tea Ana ?

I have been wanting to try it ....

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    We usually eat one good meal and maybe have a snack later in the day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast