Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Which of the Three? in the Vacation Planning forums; We're going for a once-a-year big Disney vacation in December this year in what was the previous MouseFest dates. Even though Disney changed their ADR policy to only 90 days ...
    Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Which of the Three?

We're going for a once-a-year big Disney vacation in December this year in what was the previous MouseFest dates. Even though Disney changed their ADR policy to only 90 days now instead of 180, we're still thinking about where we want to eat. We've already planned a few places that we'd like to go like T-Rex and The Wave since they're new. Usually during our vacation we do one signature dining meal.

We've been considering Artists Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse and Teppan Edo, but are having a hard time deciding which one we really want to eat at. We've never eaten at Artists Point or the Yachtsman and the last time we ate at Teppan Edo was before the refurbishment back when it was called Teppanyaki, it had to have been at least 10 years ago.

I'm a foodie and will eat pretty much anything. My mother, who will be going with me on the trip is a little less adventurous and will eat normal things like steak, chicken, pork, ect., she isn't into seafood, nor into trying new things like duck, lamb, quail, ect. She does like oriental food. We're also both trying to loose some weight, so portion sizes are also a consideration we want to take into effect when we go eating. We shouldn't be eating a ton of food, and unfortunately, I know this is something Disney likes to do very well.

Could anyone that has eaten at these restaurants recently (within the last year or so) give us some idea on which one may be the best one for us to try this year given our food tastes and diet issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    Sorry I can't help you with the restaurant issue as I've never been to any of them myself..but about the portion sizes, if you haven't already thought about it, you may want to make it a lunch mean. That way portions will be at least a little smaller than they are at dinner. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks we thought of that, but Yachtsman Steakhouse and Artist Point only serve dinner, no lunch. Teppan Edo does serve lunch though.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

WDWForGrownups is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've been to all three restaurants within the past six months, and all are lovely. For me, it'd be between Yachtsman and Teppan Edo, as Artist Point--though beautiful and enjoyable--had never been much of a memorable eating experience for me.

Yachtsman is fantastic if you love a good steak; they do a fantastic job, and, to me, rival Le Cellier for best steak in WDW. But, as you know, good steak means lots of butter and rich side dishes, which is what makes Yachtsman a great place to eat in my opinion! You could go with a small filet and a baked potato, but, as far as I'm concerned, that's not worth the money of eating somewhere like Yachtsman. If you're gonna go--eat the good food!

Teppan Edo is a standard hibachi place, but the cooking style is such that you can eat a satisfying meal that's actually pretty good for you. Go with the chicken or fish dishes (even the steak isn't cooked with too much "fat," so that will probably be fine). And portions really aren't that huge there. Plus, you get an interesting "show" type atmosphere, which is more intersting that what you have at Yachtsman.

SO, if you want a grrrrrrrrreat meal, go to Yachtsman. If you want a healthy meal with an interesting atmosphere, go to Teppan Edo. :-)

dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile

Okay, you're a foodie. Your mom is less of an adventurer. You're trying to watch your weight.

As a foodie, I can't imagine Japanese food is still a novelty to you. Pass it. You can get good sushi at home. If a chef chopping vegetables at the speed of light on your table is highly amusing to you, go. But if you want something really different, I suggest Artist Point for a couple reasons.

First, the food - I will elaborate. Secondly, the atmosphere. Third, the wines. The food is rooted in classic American elements, but with a modern twist. While your mom will find a great piece of chicken or steak on the menu, you may be interested in the buffalo, which by the way is extremely low in fat for a red meat and not something you'd find everyday. Go for it. The atmostphere is lovely. Again, classic American but very refined and relaxed in a beautiful way. It's peaceful and woodsy and elegant all at once. If you're a wine person, you'll find absolutely wonderful and hard-to-find wines of the American Pacific northwest region that unless you're from that area, you may not see at your local steakhouse where you live. The service is great and after dinner, you can take a stroll on the beautiful hotel grounds or if it's chilly, take in the fireplace in the gorgeous, laid back lobby.

Believe me - you can't go wrong at the Yachtman's. I've been a fan since day one and quite recently, they inherited a new chef (from California Grill, I believe) who kicked the food back up to a notch the Yacht hasn't seen in a few years. Excellent. But - it's a steakhouse with a predictable menu (albeit it excellent quality food).

For something different yet safe for mom, I vote Artist's Point. Bon apetit!
    Jamie

33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

"We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"