Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Kids on Dining Plan in the Vacation Planning forums; Does anyone know if you do the Dining Plan do you HAVE to put the kids on it, too, or can you pay for them out of pocket?...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Kids on Dining Plan

Does anyone know if you do the Dining Plan do you HAVE to put the kids on it, too, or can you pay for them out of pocket?
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Re: Kids on Dining Plan

If you are doing the Magic Your Way package with dining, then everyone within your room needs to have the same package, so yes, you must put the kids on the dining plan as well.

Can you do something besides the Magic Your Way Package but still get the DDP for the adults but not kids?
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

wdweric is offline A-Ticket holder

nope, the only way to get the dining plan is with the magic your way package. a kids dining plan only costs like 14 dollars. 1 counter service kids meal (about $5.00) a sit down dinner ($13.99 at crystal palace) aand a snack ($4.00). you will save money by having your kids on the dining plan!

It was just so much food and we ended up throwing a lot of it away, especially the desserts. My friend and her family are going in October and has 4 year old triplets. There is no way they will each be able to eat all of the food and it may be cheaper for them to pay out of pocket so they can split meals rather than do the DDP x3. I would agree that it may be "worth it" for older kids but for smaller children, it just seems too much $$.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

You could probably do a quick price comparisson for meals out of pocket versus DPP on an average day to see if it is right for you. If you really like doing a TS meal at least once a day and can get ADRs for where you wish to eat, then the DPP may work for you. If the little ones split kid's meals, then it might make more sense to pay out of pocket. Plan a typical day for the family and see what works best. Happy planning.

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

Basic Dining Plan is only $10.99 per child this year.

It depends a lot on what types of meals you want to. If you enjoy table service meals each day, I think it's to your advantage to have DDP.

Remember, kids at that age go through stages... sometimes they eat lots, and sometimes they barely pick. Sometimes they love one food, other times they don't want to look at it. It's because of this unpredictability factor that we often choose buffets, but OOP, paying for children's buffet prices do add up.

If you're concerned about desserts, see if there are alternatives to heavier things. Perhaps a TS will offer a fruit cup... or maybe a CS will offer a bag of apples or some applesauce that you can even just set aside for later.

If you really don't think you'll be eating that many table service meals, you may be better off with either the Quick Service Dining Plan or no plan at all.

But no matter what, everyone in one room has to have the same dining package or no package at all.
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo

Next Trip - December 2009 - POFQ & VWL

Thanks for all of the advice. Actually we kept all of our receipts from our last trip and I added them up when we got home to see if we would have saved money by paying out of pocket rather than being on the DDP. When it came to my husband and I, we definitely saved $$ due to the TS meals as I believe it is only $39.95/day/adult. Even with the desserts, which sometimes we skipped altogether, it still came out ahead. However, when it came to our 4 year old, we definitely could have saved $$ by just paying out of pocket as he could have just eaten off of our plate. Overall, though, I'm not sure the savings would have outweighed the convenience of the DDP.

That's great that they have dropped the prices. I thought I read somewhere recently that the price for kids from 3-10 was $19.95/day but that could have changed.

Thanks for all of the advice. No matter which way we choose to go, I know it will be wonderfully magical.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by aprilhendrix9 View Post
    ...Overall, though, I'm not sure the savings would have outweighed the convenience of the DDP.

That's great that they have dropped the prices. I thought I read somewhere recently that the price for kids from 3-10 was $19.95/day but that could have changed.

Thanks for all of the advice. No matter which way we choose to go, I know it will be wonderfully magical.
    I believe the Deluxe Dining Plan was $19.99 for kid's last year, so perhaps that's the price you saw... but that's the plan with 3 table service meals & 2 snacks per day... IMHO, way too much food!

Yes, DDP does provide convenience and magic! I'll be trying it for the first time (& 2nd time) this year! I'm looking forward to it!

Enjoy your trip!
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo