Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Is California Grill worth 2 dining points? in the Vacation Planning forums; So is the California Grill really worth using two dining points for? I was thinking we would try to get an 830pm ADR and hopefully be able to watch Wishes ...
    Mtnthumper is offline A-Ticket holder

Is California Grill worth 2 dining points?

So is the California Grill really worth using two dining points for? I was thinking we would try to get an 830pm ADR and hopefully be able to watch Wishes from there as so many people have said this is amazing. But is it really worth using up two dining choices? Are there other restaraunts with just as good of food that are only one point and we can just catch wishes from the beach at the Poly or go at MK......
    "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." ~ Walt Disney
    Life just isnt the same with out Disney!

WDW-1991,1999,2000,2002,2005 (twice), 2006,2007,2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, May 2012
    My Favorites:
    Port Orleans Riverside (Bob Jackson!)
    Reglan Road Patio

Polynesian Resort
    WDWcrazy in "the box"

Duchess99 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Is California Grill worth 2 dining points?

Absolutely!!!!
    This is by far my favorite restaurant. The food is fantastic! I've eaten at some of the best restaurants in NYC and this is still in my top 5 all time places. The views are also amazing. Try and get up there for the sunset.

Also, to get a table by the windows, I would recommend getting there at least 30-45 minutes prior to your ADRs and requesting a table by windows. Then wait at the bar, order a cocktail and a flatbread while you wait. Because you were early, you should get first priority to an open window table!
    Sarah
    "Everybody wants to be a cat!!"

9/09-AKL **Honeymoon**
    2/07-SS
    3/04-AKL
    5/01-DL Paris
    3/01-WLV
    12/00-Off-Site
    1/99-AS Music
    2/97-AS Sports
    2/95-AS Music
    6/93-OKW
    11/92-Off-Site
    3/92-Dolphin/Contemporary
    3/91-Swan
    3/90-Swan
    And many times prior...

Blackjack Joe is offline C-Ticket Holder

The guys at WDW Today claim that no restaurant is worth two dining credits. But, I personally think that California Grill is worth it, with a small caveat. Try to order the most expensive items for your entrees.

At the time I last ate there, appetizers and tips were still part of the dining plan, so we came out well ahead of what it would have cost for that meal.
    Joe.

Duchess99 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Joe View Post
    The guys at WDW Today claim that no restaurant is worth two dining credits. But, I personally think that California Grill is worth it, with a small caveat. Try to order the most expensive items for your entrees.

At the time I last ate there, appetizers and tips were still part of the dining plan, so we came out well ahead of what it would have cost for that meal.
    I totally agree.
    The last time I was there appetizers and tip were included as well. Our total bill was $155 (including 3 drinks) because we ordered expensive things. This was well worth it for us. Even on the new plan, I think it's worth it. Plus if you factor in the view, etc...you'll get your money's worth
    Sarah
    "Everybody wants to be a cat!!"

9/09-AKL **Honeymoon**
    2/07-SS
    3/04-AKL
    5/01-DL Paris
    3/01-WLV
    12/00-Off-Site
    1/99-AS Music
    2/97-AS Sports
    2/95-AS Music
    6/93-OKW
    11/92-Off-Site
    3/92-Dolphin/Contemporary
    3/91-Swan
    3/90-Swan
    And many times prior...

GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnthumper View Post
    So is the California Grill really worth using two dining points for? I was thinking we would try to get an 830pm ADR and hopefully be able to watch Wishes from there as so many people have said this is amazing. But is it really worth using up two dining choices? Are there other restaraunts with just as good of food that are only one point and we can just catch wishes from the beach at the Poly or go at MK......
    IMHO - no...at least not for the view of the fireworks or the service. I've been several times and each time the service has been OK at best. The last couple of times, the food was not outstanding either.

As for the fireworks viewing. I, personally, hate the perspective from the viewing deck. From up there, you can see where they are staged - far behind and to the side of the MK. Being up that high throws the perspective out of whack. If I'm at the Contemporary, I prefer the view from the deck area just off of the Grand Concourse.

If you are willing to spend two credits, go to Narcoossees. Get the Surf & Turf with the Almond Crusted Cheesecake for desert. The go out onto their deck to see and hear Wishes. Amazing!

If you're looking for a one credit restaurant in the MK loop, I would go for The Wave (watch Wishes from the Contemporary GC deck) or Kona Cafe (watch Wishes from the Polynesian beach...with a Lapu Lapu in hand).

For the record, other Signature Dining experiences I prefer over California Grill are Jiko, Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse. For that matter, I even prefer Hollywood Brown Derby and The Flying Fish. The only one that rates below CG is CRT (yuck!) Citrico's is the only one I haven't tried yet. A situation I plan to remedy in September - I'll be dining at all 9 Signature Restaurants during that trip...just to say I did.
    Last edited by GalPal; 04-17-2009 at 08:50 PM.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

I personally think it is worth it, even if you don't get the same value dollar for dollar on your dinner, the experience of just being there and getting all the great views makes up for it.

I believe I read some research that said in order to get the value for spending two table service credits on one restaurant you need to spend at least $52 on your meal (entree and desert only)
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

missionmickey71 is offline A-Ticket holder

Yes it has my favourite food and the best View in Disney to watch the fireworks.

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I haven't been back to California Grill in quite a while because I think the food is better at other signature restaurants. I'll be staying at Bay Lake Towers in September, so I'm giving it a try then, see if it's improved.

So whether it's "worth it?" I'm not convinced.

Personally, I love Kona. I would go to Kona and walk out onto the Beach afterwards.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!

It has dramatically decreased in quality over the past 5-6 yrs. If it was 6 yrs ago, I would have said absolutely. It was delicious but the past two times I was there in 2009 and 2010, I was not impressed with the food. I am not saying the food wasn't delicious because it was but it is not at the quality of food that it used to be. It is not a restaurant I have to go to every year where 5 yrs ago it was.
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

WyckedPhoenix is offline D-Ticket Holder

I thought this same thing over and over in my head cause we are on the dining plan for our trip, it's our anniversary and we have NEVER been to WDW so I wanted to make the right choice. In the end I realized that, it wasn't about the money to make it "worth it" to me.. It was about the feel. I love the idea of going to a nicer dinner, enjoying some good food and watching the fireworks. It all sounds wonderful to me and I have never done it so just getting the chance at all makes it worth it.
    I know everyone has different opinions so I guess you should decide on what will make it worth it for you.
    *Jennifer Lynn*
    NDW #38
    Fist EVER WDW trip in October 2011!
    Things about me....

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I think for a "special" dinner, Citricos is leaps and bounds better than California Grill for 2 credits. BUT you don't get the fireworks. To me, I'd rather go to a restaurant for the food than the atmosphere, but that's a personal choice that I know others would disagree with. (I'd go to a dive if I could get amazing food!)

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

We haven't been there for a while, but I've enjoyed the two meals that we've had there. If you time it right, you can see the fireworks; in fact guests are allowed to watch from the viewing area on the roof or at least that was true when we were there last.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

We don't do the DDP. We pay OOP. For us, dinner at California Grill was amazing. You can't beat the view and the food was delicious. My only problem was the slow service. But with a view of Cinderella Castle, they can take their time.

Go for it! You won't be disappointed!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I didn't find the food to be anything special, and I won't ever pay for a "view". As a general rule, if you have to ask yourself if something is 'worth' it, then probably not.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.