Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss A Lou Dining Experience...a little help in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello Lou, I just recently found your podcast back in Nov. of last year. (By the way I have been searching for others out there and none have captured my ...
    captainhook1970 is offline A-Ticket holder

Question A Lou Dining Experience...a little help

Hello Lou,

I just recently found your podcast back in Nov. of last year. (By the way I have been searching for others out there and none have captured my Disney spirit like yours, Big THANKS! ) Ok enough of the brown-nosing and back to my inquiry. My family and I are heading off to The World for the, well I honsestly don't know how many times. We have eaten at numerous restaurants and want to completely shake up our experience. We will be celebrating my 7 year old daughters B-Day a little late and want to add in some dining fun for her as well. The party also includes my wife, myself, and my 3 yr old son. Alright, well now that I was long winded enough and haven't asked a thing here goes. I need some dining advice for some good eaten (points to Lou "resident mastication expert"). We will have the dining plan (1 table service, 1 counter service, and snack). Now this is where I need your superior expertise in Disney food. We have 6 nights of fun and food so if I may ask your advice where in The World should we go for some good eaten? We want at least one character dining experience, a good steak dinner (Brown Derby used to be our favorite until our last visit and they removed the filet from the menu) and I would also like any input regarding our counter service meals to boot. As always Lou we appreciate your sincere dedication to our love of the Mouse and also any input you can lend to my next dining extravaganza.

Thanks much,
    Peter Stan (I may grow old, but will never, ever outgrow the Mouse!)

P.S. I am glad to say that this is my first Mouse-Fan trip, thanks for some other great advice. Also I don't want to exclude any other advice or recommendations from other members, I just pointed at Lou for his obvious expertise in the realm of food! And besides I heard about his ability to get a private table in PA!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: A Lou Dining Experience...a little help

Hi Peter . Obviously I am not Lou but I can give you my 2 cents worth on Disney Dining. As far a a character breakfast goes, it depends on who you daughter likes as characters. Chef Mickeys is probably the most popular but being a 7 year old girl she may prefer one of the Princess breakfasts. I like the one at the Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters. For a good steak I would head for the Yachtsman, you will use 2 points for this but I think it's the best steak on property. Although if you can get into LeCellier, I believe that is only 1 point and they have a good filet (not easy to get into though) It's hard to give you other suggestions, not knowing what kind of food you like or where you have been before. But we always like the restaurant in Japan with the habatchi cooking (Teppen Edo), I think is a great place for families. Your kids may also enjoy the Garden Grill in Epcot with the revolving restaurant. They would also get a kick out of Sci-Fi Diner over in MGM, stick to the basic food and it's fine. In Animal Kingdom, Tusker House has been getting rave reviews and I also like Yak and Yeti and I love the Flame Tree BarBCue (counter service). Another really good counter service is Pecos Bill's in Magic Kingdom and in downtown Disney The Earl of Sandwich is very good. Well that's just a few of my suggestions, I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Great & much thx for info! We have hit almost every restaurant ya mentioned, but there were a few that we have not. The Yachtsman or LeCellier both sound great and we haven't been to either. Think we might try a bid for LeCellier first just to stay on the park, but Yachtsman will be our backup. Any thoughts on character dining in the evenings with resorts in mind as well as the parks? Thanks again for the input really appreciate it.

Cheers ,

P.S. - The name is Stan I just use PeterStan as a play on PeterPan !
    PeterStan

(I may grow old, but I will never, ever outgrow The Mouse!)

1975 - First trip to Walt Disney World & first time on Space Mountain!

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata

Nor I am Lou but the best steak I had at WDW and in my Top 3 ever is at The Wave, it was amazing!

I have heard great stories about Le Cellier but sadly I have not been able to get ADR for it.

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

Is The Wave a 1 pt or 2 pt restaurant? Cause I do love the Contemporary . Thx again.
    PeterStan

(I may grow old, but I will never, ever outgrow The Mouse!)

1975 - First trip to Walt Disney World & first time on Space Mountain!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by captainhook1970 View Post
    Is The Wave a 1 pt or 2 pt restaurant? Cause I do love the Contemporary . Thx again.
    ok, sorry Stanlol, I'm not sure but I think the Wave is a 1 point. Also here is a rundown of the Character Dining for all the parks and resorts........ Character Dining Locations
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I am not Lou either, but I too have 2 cents to put in...

I think that your daughter would enjoy the princess breakfast at Akershus in Norway (I'm pretty sure they have American Breakfast food) Or Chef Mickey's (Contemporary) if she's more into the Fab 5 or so.

If your family loves Meat, Ohana (Polynesian) is the place to be. Very Friendly service, a lot of great flood, to DIE FOR bread pudding with warm bananas foster caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream, and you might even get a window looking out at the castle.

There are 3 great (from what i've heard and experienced) restaurants to choose if you're spending your day in the Animal Kingdom Area: Tusker House (AK), Yak and Yeti (AK), and Boma (AK Lodge). I've only been to Boma, and it was very yummy, especially being able to look at the animals while we waited.

Pretty much anywhere you choose, I think you'll be Ok, There isn't too much "bad" disney food . Have a great trip and amazing meals!!!

P.S.--I know Lou hasn't replied yet, but I'm sure if he would have, there would be a mention of Pecos Bill's (MK, Frontierland) for the best burgers in the world.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!