Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Dining Plan Questions... in the Vacation Planning forums; I am going to WDW this December for my Honeymoon and my fiance and I are choosing the dining plan. I have been to WDW many times with my family ...
    britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Question Dining Plan Questions...

I am going to WDW this December for my Honeymoon and my fiance and I are choosing the dining plan. I have been to WDW many times with my family but we have never done the dining plan...so I have some questions. When it says that a certain restaraunt accepts the dining plan do they limit what you can get? ...as far as the meals price wise? I just noticed that some things are more expensive than others and I was unsure as to whether you had a price limit per meal.. And also, can I get a freaken Dole whip as a snack? Or is that something I have to pay for?

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Dining Plan Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by britney05 View Post
    I am going to WDW this December for my Honeymoon and my fiance and I are choosing the dining plan. I have been to WDW many times with my family but we have never done the dining plan...so I have some questions. When it says that a certain restaraunt accepts the dining plan do they limit what you can get? ...as far as the meals price wise? I just noticed that some things are more expensive than others and I was unsure as to whether you had a price limit per meal..
    The way I understand it is no, restaurants don't limit what you can get, at least for the most part... you might run into something like a dessert that's meant for two people, so it would count as both of your desserts. Other than that, I haven't heard of limits. If you want a $35 steak and a $15 dessert that's on the menu, it's pretty much yours to choose, even though you only paid about $40 for the day... that's one of the perks of having the DDP.

I know a few places, like Le Cellier, for instance, have a special complete dinner deal... like appetizer, entree, & dessert for a fixed price, and if you choose that type of meal, your options for the included appetizers and entrees and desserts may be limited, with no substitutions... but you're also free to just forget the appetizer (or pay OOP) and just get whatever entree & dessert on the menu, instead of for that particular complete dinner deal.

Quote Originally Posted by britney05 View Post
    And also, can I get a freaken Dole whip as a snack? Or is that something I have to pay for?
    One dole whip = one snack credit! You're good to go! Dole whip floats are one snack credit too!
    And if you eat at Capt. Cook's at the Poly, you can have self-serve dole whip!

For the most part, if there's a snack that's under $4 and a single serving, it should count as a snack credit.

You'll see the little purple DDP square on the menu, indicating that it's on the DDP as a snack, and if you're not sure about something, it doesn't hurt to ask!

Here's a fairly-regularly-updated list of snacks obtained on the DDP this year:
    2009 Confirmed Snacks included in the Dining Plan - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com.
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo

Next Trip - December 2009 - POFQ & VWL

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks for this post. It's very helpful. I'm not sure why I have a mental block on the DDP but it does seem kind of confusing. I think I'll try it with my fam on the next trip.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Thanks for the link. We will be first time DDP users in Sept. and this is a great source of information for using our snack credits.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Actually, I'm about to try it for the first time myself! The only reason why I have a lot of answers right now is because I've done lots of research (asking very similar questions) and read lots of trip reports of people who were on the DDP.

I originally expected the DDP to be a lot more restricting than it actually is. I look forward to trying it!
    Jenny

July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

There is also a good discussion on DDP on allears.net.

Quote Originally Posted by disneycrazy1956 View Post
    Thanks for the link. We will be first time DDP users in Sept. and this is a great source of information for using our snack credits.
    Isn't it crazy? I thought just planning ADRs for table service would be enough... now I'm planning the not-to-miss Counter Service (yes, Pecos Bill's included for burgers, Lou) ... along with planning the not-to-miss snacks!

Hope I don't go too overboard!
    Jenny

July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL

britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Awesome! Thanks so much for the information, I was worried that the Dining plan wasn't going to be worth it but I think I'm pretty confident that it is worth it now!! thanks again.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Our favorite counter service is Columbia Harbour House. The best tuna sandwhich ever. But don't tell anybody about the wonderfully quiet seating on the second floor. It was so busy one day last June that the CMs were stopping people from going upstairs if they didn't have any food.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NorweJenNY View Post
    ... you might run into something like a dessert that's meant for two people, so it would count as both of your desserts.
    SIL & I ran into this at Le Cellier a few years back. They had a cheese, fruit & cracker appetizer that we split. It took 2 meal plan credits to cover the 1 appetizer. But the staff was really helpful in explaining to us how that worked. You can usually tell by the price/portion size if you are going to run into this.

DH & I normally use the regular dining plan (snack, counter service & sit down). I like knowing we don't have to worry about most of it when we arrive. No carrying cash or budgeting each day - it is already paid for!

I will say, the exception for us, was Food & Wine Festival. If we had sit down meals, they wouldn't have been used. We just grazed around World Showcase all day. In that case just pick & purchase worked best.

The only thing I don't like about the dining plan, if I understand correctly, the tip isn't included. So be sure to have cash to tip your server. (And as an ex-waitress, I'll say please be aware of the meal cost & tip appropriately. I hate seeing people toss $2 or $3 dollars out as a tip when they had a $50 dollar meal! OK... off my soap box now. )
    Zima-Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
    I will say, the exception for us, was Food & Wine Festival. If we had sit down meals, they wouldn't have been used. We just grazed around World Showcase all day. In that case just pick & purchase worked best.

Actually, at Food & Wine, wouldn't it be beneficial to get the Quick Service plan? I've heard a lot of items there you can get with snack credits, and there are 2 snack credits per person per day on the QS plan... I'd think you could easily have a great meal for 2 snack credits in Epcot WS, and then you still have your other 2 meals of the day covered by the QS meals.
    Jenny

July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by NorweJenNY View Post

Actually, at Food & Wine, wouldn't it be beneficial to get the Quick Service plan? I've heard a lot of items there you can get with snack credits, and there are 2 snack credits per person per day on the QS plan... I'd think you could easily have a great meal for 2 snack credits in Epcot WS, and then you still have your other 2 meals of the day covered by the QS meals.
    Hmmm... I'm not as familiar w/the quick service plan - is that 2 snacks (yes they can be used for many items @ F&W) and 2 counter service? You can not use a counter service credit @ the food kiosks (you can use them at the counters in the regular countries).

I guess it depends on how you tour? When we were there we did MK for 1 day & spent the other 3 days @ Epcot. And we stuck 95% to the food kiosks. So in our case it still would not have fit how we toured. We were on a mission to sample everything humanly possible (plus some! ) from the different countries.

But, if you had a more balanced park touring plan - 1 day at each park for example, then you might be able to use up the counter service credits those days at other parks.

I guess the best advice is if you are doing F&W you really have to sit down & plan your touring style & parks. Otherwise you could either leave a lot of unused credits or end up shorting yourself & finding you pay out of pocked for more meals than expected.
    Zima-Cheryl

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Some thoughts on F&W...you don't have to use your snack credits each day. So if you only visit Epcot once, you could in fact visit the kiosks and use nothing but snack credits to visit.

That being said...I've done F&W and split everything with the people I'm with and just grazed. I've split it into more than one day and didn't eat anything for lunch or dinner those days. We just grazed all day. In reality we didn't spend more than we would have for normal food at Disney, but if we would have had the Dining Plans and felt like we "had" to eat either a counter service or sit down, I don't think we'd have enjoyed it.

Long story short...my advice: if you're heading down for the purpose of enjoying F&W, I'd skip the DDP. If you're heading down with kids and enjoying one night out without them, I'd still do the DDP, but either save your snacks for F&W or pay OOP...of course the wine never counts as a snack

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

In my opinion, the F&W Festival is the best time to have the dining plan. I generally am full after using all of my QS and TS credits, and as a result, my snack credits go unused. But when I'm visiting during F&W, I use all of my snack credits to graze all day long.
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS