Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Macaroni and Cheese question in the Vacation Planning forums; I am working with my son on food phobia/limited eating issues that he has. One of the target foods to get him eating is macaroni and cheese. I would like ...
    ginnyfavers is offline B-Ticket Holder

Macaroni and Cheese question

I am working with my son on food phobia/limited eating issues that he has. One of the target foods to get him eating is macaroni and cheese.

I would like to serve him at home a version of macaroni and cheese that is closest to what we'll find in the kids' meals at Walt Disney World.

I've seen what's served, but never tasted it. It looks nothing like the boxed Kraft dinner or the generic versions of the same, but more like the frozen Stouffers brand.

Can anyone chime in and tell me what brand they think is the closest in taste and texture? Could it actually be Stouffers?

Thanks in advance,
    Amanda, Joe & Miles
    Planning my next trip way way way too far in advance...

"I met the love of my life on the Seven Seas Lagoon"

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Re: Macaroni and Cheese question

Quote Originally Posted by ginnyfavers View Post
    I am working with my son on food phobia/limited eating issues that he has. One of the target foods to get him eating is macaroni and cheese.

I would like to serve him at home a version of macaroni and cheese that is closest to what we'll find in the kids' meals at Walt Disney World.

I've seen what's served, but never tasted it. It looks nothing like the boxed Kraft dinner or the generic versions of the same, but more like the frozen Stouffers brand.

Can anyone chime in and tell me what brand they think is the closest in taste and texture? Could it actually be Stouffers?

Thanks in advance,
    I have always heard WDW's Mac 'n Cheese is Stouffer's. But I've also seen a show on Travel Channel about Disney Food where they show a test kitchen and the chefs are in process of creating a new better tasting Mac n' Cheese. If you have a KFC around their mac n' cheese is Stouffer's too. See if he likes it from there.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I know that the mac and cheese from the liberty tree tavern is stouffers. They're the closest i've seen to homemade mac & cheese... good luck!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Hi

I'm in Foodservice, I sell food I also am addicted to Mac & Cheese

Soooo I think I can help a bit. A lot of the Mac & Cheese found in the World is from various brands. Depending on where you go depends on what you'll get. Most places do use Stouffers, obviously Liberty Tree Tavern and the Land do because of their sponsors. Many of the counter services places you'll get Stouffers. At the buffets, some is Stouffers, some is made by the Chef's. I'd say the one at Chef Mickey's is more like Kraft's, but I don't think they're using the same cheese sauce. IMO, if you can get him eating both Kraft's & Stouffers, you've got your bases covered at Disney. It'll be like one or the other. The only places that are really drastically different are Chefs de France and Jiko, but they're not kids meals!!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I have always heard WDW's Mac 'n Cheese is Stouffer's. But I've also seen a show on Travel Channel about Disney Food where they show a test kitchen and the chefs are in process of creating a new better tasting Mac n' Cheese. If you have a KFC around their mac n' cheese is Stouffer's too. See if he likes it from there.
    KFC's Mac & Cheese is made by Campbell's, not Stouffers. Still tasty, but the cheese flavor is very different.

Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    ~Sam Eagle

zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

I actually like the Stouffers for a quick meal when I eat alone better then the box brands. It is very good with a little pepper.
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 AKLJ & BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    Hi

I'm in Foodservice, I sell food I also am addicted to Mac & Cheese

Soooo I think I can help a bit. A lot of the Mac & Cheese found in the World is from various brands. Depending on where you go depends on what you'll get. Most places do use Stouffers, obviously Liberty Tree Tavern and the Land do because of their sponsors. Many of the counter services places you'll get Stouffers. At the buffets, some is Stouffers, some is made by the Chef's. I'd say the one at Chef Mickey's is more like Kraft's, but I don't think they're using the same cheese sauce. IMO, if you can get him eating both Kraft's & Stouffers, you've got your bases covered at Disney. It'll be like one or the other. The only places that are really drastically different are Chefs de France and Jiko, but they're not kids meals!!
    So where in WDW can you go to get the Mac n' Cheese that their Chef's make like they were showing on the Travel Channel specials?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Of course he may get bored with mac & cheese. Is he afraid of ice cream? If not, there is a great place at the Beach Club to head. Seriously, we found that the buffets all had a good kid-friendly selection and our three little ones were willing to try some things because they were in WDW. Hopefully, your little guy will attempt the same. One other thing, don't take him to Club Cool at Epcot... it may put him off from trying new things.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    So where in WDW can you go to get the Mac n' Cheese that their Chef's make like they were showing on the Travel Channel specials?
    I know exactly what segment you're talking about I was jealous of the kids who got to vote on it!! I honestly don't know where. If I took a guess... since the segment I watched showed that the "class" was at the Grand Floridian, I'd say you could probably get it at 1900 Park Fare...I've yet to dine there.

The big brands for Mac & Cheese in Foodservice are Stouffer's, Kraft, Unilever (omg, this one is soooo good!), and Cambell's. There are some private names and some other ones too, but I'm not as familiar with them. Many companies also sell just the cheese sauce, so the chef can control the consistency to their liking.

~Sam Eagle

Thanks! I knew I'd get answers quickly here, but I didn't expect it to be this quick. :-)

We will go with the Stouffers, that will be easy for me. It's one of seven target foods we're trying to add this summer, so wish me luck. He's really motivated, he's as tired of having these issues as much as I am at this point. We keep telling him when he starts dating he's going to feel like an idiot if he tells the girl he can only take here where they have chicken fingers or grilled cheese.

Oh, which reminds me, I also meant to ask about the veggie burgers at the counter service places? Plain Boca Burger style, or are they the Gardenburger with the flecks of vegetables in them? He already loves Morningstar nuggets and sausage patties so I think this will be an easy one.
    Last edited by ginnyfavers; 05-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Amanda, Joe & Miles

Easy
    Gardenburger. At some locations it's the "Malibu" burger, which they don't sell retail. The similar burger in retail I think is the California burger. I haven't taken a close enough look at the California burger to compare.

This is the description for the Malibu burger: Vegan veggie-style veggie burger made from a blend of Organic whole grains (brown rice and rolled oats) and Organic vegetables (corn, carrots, onions, green peppers) seasoned with Organic spices.

It's easily the best of the Veggie burgers...and the most expensive, which is probably why Disney is using it!! You CAN see the chunks of veggies, better than the org GB.

~Sam Eagle

I was just thinking: I'm glad I'm on vacation this week and can answer your questions!! It's right up my ally! Let me know if you have any others about brands. I'm sure you can tell by now which I sell But since it's my work, I tend to pay closer attention than others to it (Drives my boyfriend crazy!!!)

~Sam Eagle

I was just thinking: I'm glad I'm on vacation this week and can answer your questions!! It's right up my ally! Let me know if you have any others about brands. I'm sure you can tell by now which I sell But since it's my work, I tend to pay closer attention than others to it (Drives my boyfriend crazy!!!)
    That's a really cool job! My husband keeps telling me I should go back into sales - did it many many years ago and was good at it. Problem is, I have to really believe in what I'm selling. But good macaroni and cheese? Hey, I could sell that!
    Amanda, Joe & Miles

Easy
    Gardenburger. At some locations it's the "Malibu" burger, which they don't sell retail. The similar burger in retail I think is the California burger. I haven't taken a close enough look at the California burger to compare.
    Would that be the Dr. Praeger's or the Amy's brand?
    Amanda, Joe & Miles

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Wow. What bad memories you have brought back for me. I had a son just like that. Lived on cold pizza in his lunch box every day through
    5th grade.

Encouragement, it started to sway in the teen years and now in college will try 80% of things. Just don't consider putting mashed potatoes on that plate of his!
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast