Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Going cross-eyed trying to pick restaurants! in the Vacation Planning forums; Help please! August 31st is approaching quick and every time I think I have something figured out in terms of ADR's I read some awful review and rethink everything! We ...
    amyw138 is offline A-Ticket holder

Going cross-eyed trying to pick restaurants!

Help please! August 31st is approaching quick and every time I think I have something figured out in terms of ADR's I read some awful review and rethink everything! We have the Dining Plan so anything other than signature restaurants is game. I have planned 1900 Park Fare for dinner one night, Chef Mickey's one night and Prime Time.....I am thinking Chefs de France for our Epcot meal but I don't know how kid friendly it would be (2 5 year olds). We live on the Gulf and eat seafood all the time so I don't really want to go to Coral Reef, not a lot of steak eaters so I didn't know if Le Cellier would be appropriate, my husband hates Chinese and Japanese food and I really don't want to go all the way to DW and eat Mexican or pub food...what's left? Help! Please give your reasons for your opinions if you don't mind!
    Thanks ya'll!
    Amy W

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Going cross-eyed trying to pick restaurants!

First, realize that no matter where you chose you're going to hear glowing reviews from one person, and the next will tell you how awful it is. It's that way with most restaurants at WDW

Any 1 credit restaurant at WDW is okay for kids of any age...it's WDW! So if you want to go to Chefs, go to Chefs. My best advice is that if you're uncomfortable, make it an early reservation or a lunch reservation. People who are older or couples will tend to make later reservations. For example, a family might eat at 5:30, my boyfriend and I will try for 7. So your family will be leaving by the time my boyfriend and I are sitting down. Then you won't worry about your 2.5 year old. Now, it's that way everywhere else in the world, but really, at Disney, if you're eating at 7 with a 2.5 year old, it's no big deal (I'd still go early, but that's JMO.)

I really enjoyed Chefs. I'd go ahead and book it, especially since your other meals are 2 character meals...and well, 50s might as well be They're very over the top and it will probably be nice just to go to a restaurant who's only "thing" is good food!

...and btw: loved Chefs, think Le Cellier is overrated. Now, someone else might post and tell you something completely opposite. So just go with what you think is right for your family!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

Although the food would not be considered Top Notch - the Garden Grill Restaurant is a great character dinner with very young kids. It is very small and intimate, and the characters (mickey, Chip & Dale, Pluto) really take a lot of time with your kids.

The restaurant in Morocco seems to be the most overlooked restaurant in Epcot - and it is fantastic!! If you like rice dishes, chicken or beef, this is a wonderful place, It is not as exotic as everyone thinks it is.

Too bad your husband does not like Japanese food, because Tokyo Dining (one of the two table service places in Japan) has outstanding food, The tempura there is the best I have eaten anywhere!

I vote for Chefs De France - and lunch is an excellent option for a time to go. In fact, I usually go at lunch - the Crouque Monsieur sandwich is to die for.
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

amyw138 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank ya'll so much! Yes, I too wish my hubby like Japanese or Chinese food! He looooves Thai; too bad that's not an option. I think we'll enjoy Chef's-and thanks for the timing advice too! I may put this question on another thread but perhaps ya'll have an answer another timing question. Alright, I want to schedule my niece a reservation at the BBB at Magic Kingdom and then eat at 1900 with Cinderella. Ideally, it would be neat to be able to see the fireworks that night as well. How should all that be timed?
    Amy W

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Another place to look at for Epcot is the Biergarten in Germany. The food is okay, my kids always liked it, but they really enjoyed the band. Go ahead, have a big beer and join in on the chicken dance.

Biergarten is an excellent suggestion.

To be honest, I have no idea on timing of BBB. I don't have kids or nieces, so I wouldn't feel comfortable answering that one! Sounds like a good plan though

Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    ~Sam Eagle

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Those are all fine choices. If Remmy is still doing shows at Chef's you should find out when he appears and try to time your reservation for that. The kids will love it. Chef Mickey's is a great breakfast, possibly the best character breakfast in WDW. I always thought Prime Time's food was "meh" and the "motherly" service more annoying than cute but I bet the kids will love it. Finally, 1900 Park is a decent middle of the road choice.

As for other places, if you are willing to go out of your way a little Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge is a great choice for the family. In the Epcot area I second the Beirgarten. It's decent food but a little cheap. I think other places will provide more value for your one credit.

Remy isn't going to be at Chefs after September, just an FYI.

~Sam Eagle

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    Remy isn't going to be at Chefs after September, just an FYI.
    In that case, Chefs isn't the best choice for children. I suggest you go with something else instead. Maybe Biergarten, it has a good show and the food is decent buffet style. There will be at least one item that everybody likes. If you want something a little different, Marekesh in Morocco is very good and the kids will like the entertainment and decor.

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...

My vote would be for Biergarten. There is a wide variety of food for everyone and the atmosphere in itself is fantastic.

Also have heard rave reviews about Boma at AKL and Kona at the Polynesian, both of which I will be trying for the first time in Sept.
    I have heard way more on the positive side for both of these two. I suggest looking into them.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    First, realize that no matter where you chose you're going to hear glowing reviews from one person, and the next will tell you how awful it is. It's that way with most restaurants at WDW
    This is sooo true. Unless I find only bad reviews, or an overwhelming majority, I just go w/what I want & don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disnyfan83 View Post
    Although the food would not be considered Top Notch - the Garden Grill Restaurant is a great character dinner with very young kids. It is very small and intimate, and the characters (mickey, Chip & Dale, Pluto) really take a lot of time with your kids.
    We really enjoyed the Garden Grill too. The food was pretty good (IMO) and the whole rotating restaurant & being able to see the ride below was cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Disnyfan83 View Post
    The restaurant in Morocco seems to be the most overlooked restaurant in Epcot - and it is fantastic!! If you like rice dishes, chicken or beef, this is a wonderful place, It is not as exotic as everyone thinks it is.
    I love this restaurant!!! Your kids may get a kick out of the belly dancer. The marrakesh delight dessert is not to be missed!!

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Another place to look at for Epcot is the Biergarten in Germany. The food is okay, my kids always liked it, but they really enjoyed the band. Go ahead, have a big beer and join in on the chicken dance.
    We too have had supper at the Biergarten. If I remember correctly it was a family style seating buffet. That means you'll be seated next to other guests. The buffet was okay, but the beauty of a buffet is everyone should be able to find something to eat. And if you get a chance try a glass of the Reisling (sp?) wine w/your supper, I thought it was one of the best in World Showcase.

If you really aren't happy w/the Epcot choices, what about outside the park? The Boardwalk is right there. Is the new Kat Kora place open yet? Or you could try the Big River Grill, or ESPN club (we've eaten there & the tuna sandwich was fantastic) or Cape May, etc. That gets you out of the more ethnic restaurants around World Showcase, but they are so close you can bounce out, eat & then go right back into the park.
    Zima-Cheryl

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

I don't have children, so I can't speak from experience. Chefs is one of my favorite restaurants at WDW, but there's nothing particularly exciting about it for kids, IMO. Biergarten is a great idea! Food isn't the best, but it's definitely entertaining and I've seen many kids getting up to dance on stage. You might consider the Spirit of Aloha Luau at the Polynesian. It's 2 DDP credits, but could be an entertaining evening for the whole family.
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

I like Chefs de France a lot and my kids do to. You will have a very difficult time getting a Le Cellier ressie
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder

We love going to Biergarten. The entertainment is always fun and lively and the food is pretty good. I would definitely recommend it. We also went to Garden Grill on our last trip (Sept 2008) and had a good time overall. We had lots of time with the characters and the food was really fresh and tasty. The only thing is I think Garden Grill is fried catfish and flank steak so you might want to skip it if you eat it all the time.
    Sept 2010 Trip Planned!

wdwkid32 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Try sci-fi dine in great food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast