Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Showing up to ADR with extra person in the Vacation Planning forums; We are going to the World Oct 20-27th. We are on the dining plan and have had ADRs since the very moment the 90 day window opened (for 2 adults ...
    Peter's Shadow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Showing up to ADR with extra person

We are going to the World Oct 20-27th. We are on the dining plan and have had ADRs since the very moment the 90 day window opened (for 2 adults and 2 children). Last week my Mom decided to come for half of our trip. Three of our ADRs happen during the time she is with us (Les Chefs de France, Libertry Tree and Chef Mickey's). We called to see if we could add her to our dining reservations. Since their system won't let them "add" a person, they have to make a whole new reservation with the adjusted number of people, we were only able to setup to Les Chefs de France with her added. Chef Mickey's and Liberty Tree didn't have any availability. Since we will only have one extra person and we don't mind to crowd in, do you think we could just show up at our ADR and they would allow her to eat with us? Does anyone out there have any experience doing this? I feel bad telling my Mom she can't eat with us if they won't let her join us, but we can't ruin our ADRs that we worked hard to get months ago. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Greg

Brs197 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Showing up to ADR with extra person

We ended up meeting a friend for dinner at O'hana on our last trip. We went from a party of three to a party of four. It was not a problem at all, since we are usually seated at a four-seat table anyway. I too tried to call ahead and they could not change our reservation to add an extra person. I kept the reservation and just showed up with our extra person and didn't have a problem. I would rather take the chance that you'll probably still have your reservation honored than try to book some place new at a late date. Good luck!

Going from a party of 4 to a party of 5 will be more difficult. Most of the tables that a party of 4 will be sat at are just for that...a party of 4. It would be much easier to go from a party of 3 to 4 or even a party of 5 to 6. Disney has strict guidelines about how many people they will/can seat at a specific table. That is why they always ask you to include a baby that will be in a highchair in your count.

My first suggestion would be to check at the concierge of your resort every morning to see if a table for 5 has become available for the restaurants you need. Otherwise....just try your luck and show up, but don't be disappointed if they cannot accomodate you.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

We ran into that problem when my dad decided to join my sister and I on a previous trip. We decided to at least try and have him eat with us at Chef Mickey's and when we were waiting in line, we struck up a conversation with the person in front of us who told us to tell them that we were supposed to have 3 instead of 2 when they confirmed the reservation. We did just that and it was absolutely no problem - they simply changed the number of people and on our way we went. We did the same thing at the Garden Grill the next night.
    I would just show up, be polite, and act like you made a reservation for 5 - I can't imagine that they wouldn't accomodate because 1) they get more money and 2) it really isn't Disney policy to disagree with a guest. I've even heard more than once of Disney employees telling guests to say things like that to get people the reservations they wanted (of course, this was when they were already at the parks and the conversation wasn't being recorded ).

I would keep trying to get those reservations for 5 (for piece of mind and so you're not biting your nails walking upto those podiums) and if you can't, it should be fine. You never know unless you try!
    ~Ashleigh

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Show up a little early for your ADR and let the hostess know that you are now a party of 3 instead of 2. If Len Testa can go from a party of 4 to 8 plus, you will be able to make this switch.

Peter's Shadow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Very good point!

Thank you all for your help. We feel much better now about it.

Greg

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

My cousin used to be a hostess at a Disney restaurant. She's told me before that it's much easier for the restaurant to adjust than it is for the dining system to adjust. Show up early, be polite. They can refuse, but it's unlikely. Let the hostess know that you're willing to wait, it shows that you're willing to work with them.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

We added one person at CRT's for Lunch. I went to check in for our reservation and the hostess only requested that everyone be at the front desk and ready to go. They didn't blink an eye at the request. Got right in and had a great time!

I can concur that adding someone by DDP is hard to do. I stopped by the Concierge Desk at Pop Century to see if they could add the extra person and they were unsuccessful. She was nice enough to give me the direct line to CRT to do the add on. I called and left messages but no one ever called me back.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort