Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss The Galloping Gourmand isn't Snobby about the Electric Umbrella in the Vacation Planning forums; (Hey all. Iím trying to improve at writing these because I plan to keep it up. I'm having a ball doing this! Any suggestions on my style or comments would ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

The Galloping Gourmand isn't Snobby about the Electric Umbrella

(Hey all. Iím trying to improve at writing these because I plan to keep it up. I'm having a ball doing this! Any suggestions on my style or comments would be helpful! I donít expect comments or praise or anything but I donít ever want to be a boring read. Maybe one day I will actually get good at this. I have about 50 places to write about from full service to food courts so barring a personal issue I'm here for the long haul.)

It was 8:30pm and D and I, being too lazy to walk to World Showcase, were looking for a place to eat in Future World. We ended up at the Electric Umbrella cafe. Despite how crowded the park was a that end given that Illuminations was going to start soon I was surprised that there were only 2 other people in the whole place.
    We were a little worried about it. It doesnít have much of a reputation. It also is one of the ugliest places on Disney property. Itís as if the bridge of the enterprise in the new Trek movie were pained purple and pink and turned into a restaurant. A circular dining room with a raised area of seating in the middle, all purple and pink. Ugly and empty are not two things you often look for in a restaurant. However we knew right away that this was the place for us. Itís common Disney knowledge that if itís about 8:30, you are in Future World, and in need of a meal you canít do any better than the Electric Umbrella. You also cannot do much worse than the Electric Umbrella. Itís basically your only choice unless you want all the way to the World Showcase. Thatís what many Disnoids would do. I hear tell that there are some who wouldnít stop at the Umbrella ever, especially now that the fixiní bar is gone. Thatís just snobbery, because Electric Umbrella is surprisingly decent. Plus, you can see the fountain from the patio.
    The menu is small. There are six meals available, and two of those are the same thing. After all, a bacon double cheeseburger is simply a cheeseburger with another patty and some bacon slapped on it. Letís not pretend that itís a whole other culinary experience. Thatís like throwing extra croutons on a salad and calling it ďdouble crunchĒ or something. One of the nice things about each Disney quick-serve restaurant is that they have own specialty, one or two items on the menu that you canít find at most other quick service places. So while the hamburgers and chicken nuggets or strips have very little variation from place to place Disney has worked out a way to give you a little something special. At the Electric Umbrella that special thing is called the Toasted Turkey Sub.
    (Before I go on, a note about the menu. While browsing the web I noticed that the menu at Allears, dated Nov. 2009, was different from the Dec. 2009 menu posted at WDW info. Both are slightly different from the menu I experienced in early December 2009. I suppose they were going through a conversion during this time, and also that due to the lateness of the hour they may have been running short on a few things. The Veggie Wrap was not on the menu, nor was the Double Cheeseburger. In their place were the Toasted Turkey Sub and a plain old cheeseburger.)
    I only had a bite of my friends sub. It was bland, I didnít think enough of it to like or hate it. D ordered it without lettuce, tomato, and had no dressing on it. I love her, but she only eats chicken strips the entire time sheís at WDW. I have no idea how sheís still a size 2 based on her chicken strip and Pappa Jonís Pizza diet while at home or away. Maybe she should write a fad diet book about it. At San Angel Inn she asked for and received chicken strips. She thought the sub was wonderful. When I asked her for a little more detail she continued on that both sides of the bread were crunchy and it tasted like turkey. So there you have it. Chapter three of ďLoose Weight the D way.Ē (We are working on the title.) I may have been unimpressed but we agreed that it was fine.

My cheeseburger was very good for a Disney cheeseburger. As I said earlier Disney tends to have very little variation in there cheeseburgers but there can be some. Some cooks overcook them dry. Sometimes they sit a little longer, or are greasy. Iím not sure if it was the time, the cooks, or something else but this was a nice little burger that made me glad we didnít trek all the way to the World Showcase.
    I guess thatís as good a compliment as any. If the Electric Umbrella is open donít feel like you have to avoid it by walking a quarter mile out of your way. Stop in and enjoy a fairly decent quick service menu. Just sit outside because that purple starship bridge could make you loose your lunch before you get to Mission Space.

** (Fair)

Till next time, "Hi ho Eaters! Away!"

Epcot89 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: The Galloping Gourmand isn't Snobby about the Electric Umbrella

I love the comment about the purple starship bridge. I remember eating here on my first ever Disney trip back in '89. It wasn't called the Electric Umbrella then (I believe it was called the Stargate Restaurant). I just remember being in awe, eating (probably some pizza) and looking out over the open expanse that used to be CommuniCore. It was amazing for an 8 year old boy who would fall in love with Epcot.

Thanks for the review and I look forward to reading more.

Mike
    St. Louis, MO
    DVC Member since '08

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I loved the Snobbery part. I find snobbery with both good and bad CS and sit downs. My DS and I ate there for the same reason a few years back.

It was OK.

If you find a good CS at DHS please share!!! I've been going since the year it opened and have yet to locate one! I could have played Ultimate Frisbee with my Pizza from Pizza Planet!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Thanks for the report. I'm not a huge fan of the Electric Umbrella althought I have eaten there a few times over the years. For my family, it is worth the walk over to Tangerine Cafe in Morocco for a lamb wrap. Anytime we have been at Electric Umbrella, it has been very crowded, noisy, and so-so food. I think it would do better at DAK because it reminds me of the monkey cage at feeding time.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

So just curious, if they replaced a Toasted Turkey Sub for the Veggie Wrap does it mean they don't have any veggie items on the menu? That's to funny that your friend only eats Chicken strips at WDW, so I guess it's not a Spanish version or Italian, Moroccan, Japanese, Norwegian version of chicken strips, it's just plain old chicken strips. I wonder how the chicken strips at Victoria and Alberts are? If you ever go with your friend, let us know Thanks for another good read Galloping Gourmand
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    So just curious, if they replaced a Toasted Turkey Sub for the Veggie Wrap does it mean they don't have any veggie items on the menu?
    I just don't know. The two online places I go to refresh my memory on the full menus have conflicting reports, and neither quite matches the menu I recall. That's why I think it was a combination of a menu changeover and the lateness of the hour that lead to our menu being a little different.

That's to funny that your friend only eats Chicken strips at WDW, so I guess it's not a Spanish version or Italian, Moroccan, Japanese, Norwegian version of chicken strips, it's just plain old chicken strips. I wonder how the chicken strips at Victoria and Alberts are? If you ever go with your friend, let us know
    D is probably one of my best friends in the world, and sort of my little sister. She's more of a Disney nut than I am. It makes me sad to think that often when the rest of us eat somewhere she either picks from the kid's menu or simply doesn't come, opting instead to grab a burger and people watch. The food is one of the best things about Disney!

I'm sure V&A has some wonderful chicken strip dishes. If you are willing to pay, I'd be happy for the two of us to join you there and see what they can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    If you find a good CS at DHS please share!!! I've been going since the year it opened and have yet to locate one! I could have played Ultimate Frisbee with my Pizza from Pizza Planet!
    Good counter service? Well there is.... um... no... you said good not "acceptable"... um... I'll get back to you... maybe... hmmm.............

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

My roommate in college was tiny like that. She survived on candy, dry cereal, and peanut butter put on Ritz crackers.

I remember when I was a kid the Electric Umbrella was my favorite because I could get Spaghetti there.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

wdwkid32 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think that the electric umbrella is very cool looking.