Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss The Galloping Gourmand gets all sappy about Kringla Bakeri og Café in the Vacation Planning forums; I’m not even going to pretend not to be bias here. I had one of the absolutely best times I’ve ever had at WDW sitting at a table in the ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Red face The Galloping Gourmand gets all sappy about Kringla Bakeri og Café

I’m not even going to pretend not to be bias here. I had one of the absolutely best times I’ve ever had at WDW sitting at a table in the covered area of this bakery eating pretzels and just talking with my best friend in the world. We had just watched Illuminations and decided to duck in to have a snack while we decided what to do for Extra Magic Hours. This was back when the park would be open till 1am, and we sat there till about midnight talking about old times and new, old friends long forgotten and potential new additions to her family. We talked on as the lovely outdoor patio emptied. Soon it was just us sitting in the illuminated glow of the oft overlooked Stave Church without a soul walking by. By the time we realized that EMH was over we didn’t really care that we has missed the whole thing. WS was silent. We walked slowly back to the Swan and Dolphin, and I swear we were the last people in the park. I needed a cab to get back to Pop Century, and god knows how I managed to get up for rope drop at the MK the next day. Almost every trip since I’ve gone back. Whether it’s a solo trip or a group trip Kringla Bakeri og Café has become, more or less, my place.

That’s the thing. Even for someone that likes food as much as I do sometimes it’s not about the food. It’s about the company. Luckily at Kringla Bakeri og Café the food is almost as good as my emotional connection to the location. You, simply put, must try the school bread and sweet pretzel. The name is a total misnomer. It’s what Boston Crème doughnut would be if it was made by angels. This massive puff of delicately sweet bread is as big as a child’s head. It is about 40% filled with a delectable cream and topped with toasted coconut. It is the most Anti-Weight Watches thing ever created. It is worth every lousy point and empty calorie.

If you are Norwegian, or grew up around as many Lutherans as I have, the Sweet Pretzel here might seem a little alien to you. Sweet pretzels vary depending on what part of Scandinavia you come from. I’ve had some are practically coffee bread and some are more like cookies. The variation at the bakery is a huge, HUGE pretzel made with a little almond extract, glazed in frosting, and covered in almonds. If you are a nut lover, give this a try. The flavor is quite heavy to me, and I can only have about half of one before I’m finished.

Kringala Bkeri og Café has many of the standard Disney deserts as well. Some chocolate cheesecake and berry tarts are thrown in, but the pretzel and school bread are the best things here. To me though it’s the memories of the times I’ve sat with friends, both that first time and the time before. Excuse me from waxing sentimental here, but that’s what Disney is about, isn’t it?

(a very personal) ****

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Re: The Galloping Gourmand gets all sappy about Kringla Bakeri og Café

For me, a trip "around the world" is never complete without some schoolbread . Ohhhh I will dream of it for days now... its been too long, schoolbread....