Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss The Galloping Gourmand talks way too much about hot dog history reviewing Casey's in the Vacation Planning forums; I feel a great, great deal of pity for the Cast Members that work at the Main Street stable “Casey’s.” They must have to put up with an endless stream ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

The Galloping Gourmand talks way too much about hot dog history reviewing Casey's

I feel a great, great deal of pity for the Cast Members that work at the Main Street stable “Casey’s.” They must have to put up with an endless stream of hot dog and ballpark price jokes and comments. In the 15 minutes I was in line (there is never no line at Casey’s) I heard three:
    “At these prices I could buy my own ballpark.”
    “God! We don’t even get to see a game for that price!”
    and “Cursing dogs are more cursing expensive than the cursing ones home!”
    If I were the person behind the counter I might slowly go insane. Frankly, the Dogs are good, and worth the price of a minor league ticket and the mental anguish of the constant stream of comments.
    The key to mass consumption hot dogs are the spices. A long time ago, before mass production of sausages, every region had it’s own particular hot dog flavor, not unlike the way pizza is now. Chicago dogs tasted different than New York dogs. Nathan’s, a famous NY staple has had problems expanding beyond it’s Coney Island perch not due to a lack of quality but mainly because the spice mix is not what other regions expect when they chomp into the casing. Washington D.C. hot dogs are generally spicier than other regions. The Chicago Style dog is steamed. Here in New England, we like a milder taste. In some places dogs are boiled, in others they must be grilled. My preferred way to have them is how they are made as Swanky Frank’s in Norwalk, CT: Split. Just get a load of this list of regional hot dog variations from Wikipedia. That thing is HUGE Hot dog variations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My father, a butcher. tends to go on and on about how hard it was for one group to get people everywhere to buy and enjoy a mass market nationwide hot dog brand. Oscar Mayer (Chicago style) had to tone down the spices and market the heck out of them for people to start to accept non-locally made dogs back 60 years ago. Since then the hot dogs from the supermarket have been generally bland with uniform spices. That’s the kind of dog you get at Casey’s. Generally bland with limited and mild spice on an inoffensive bun and taken straight out of a warmer. Better than Oscar Mayer but not much different from your typical mass-market dog.
    Hot dogs are comfort food and the dog at Casey’s is pure comfort. That’s why they are so popular. Their dogs might look a little small to some but they are just big enough to be filling without weighing you down. Casey’s dogs are the perfect size for a filling snack if you don’t want the omnipresent “cart sweets,” and also good for a meal. They have old timey patio tables and, sometimes, a ragtime piano. Since the dogs spend so little time in the warmers due to the constant turnover they don’t have time to dry out so they always are a little juicy when you bite into them. Note the difference between these and the ones served at that little outdoor place in Liberty Square. The hot dogs and buns there are dried out because they are carted over and can sit in the warmer for a while. Freshness counts in all food, even fast food.

Hm. Maybe the for Liberty Square is a NY style hot dog cart! Dirty franks! Hot dogs that are boiled and then kept warm over hours and hours in a bath of lukewarm water and put into a mildly stale bun. I fail to see how that won’t catch on with the bulk of America. Or, just walk to Casey's and get a good, fresh hot dog.

** (fair)

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: The Galloping Gourmand talks way too much about hot dog history reviewing Casey's

That's quite a ramble you got on dogs.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: The Galloping Gourmand talks way too much about hot dog history reviewing Casey's

I like a NY dog in a New England style bun, has to be grilled or fried (well done), but absolutely positively NO dirty dogs for me, will not eat a boiled hot dog.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Favorite thing at Casey's are the Corn Dog Nuggets!!!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    Favorite thing at Casey's are the Corn Dog Nuggets!!!
    Not being a fan of corn dogs, I've passed these up every time. I should try them.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    That's quite a ramble you got on dogs.
    I aim for truth in titling. I might not have actually reviewed the restaurant up there...

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I'm a Chicago Style gal and I don't believe I've had a hotdog at Disney, ever. I generally save my tummy for Pecos Bill's and Columbia House.

Though on Kat's previous recommendations some of my other family members that are corndog fans, will be stopping for some of those mini's.

I have to also note I have recently had a coleslaw dog. Boy! Was it good. Who would have thunk?

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

For the record: I dislike full corn dogs and I've yet to find suitable replacements for Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets...they're just that good!

I like them as a snack....or I have them for lunch and then a Dole Whip later

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle