Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss The Galloping Gourmand's Sip and Snack 1 - Kaki Gori Food Cart in the Vacation Planning forums; Not much time to write this week, so on weeks like this I'm going to point out my favorite or least favorite food carts. There are some treasures out there. ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thumbs up The Galloping Gourmand's Sip and Snack 1 - Kaki Gori Food Cart

Not much time to write this week, so on weeks like this I'm going to point out my favorite or least favorite food carts. There are some treasures out there.
    Oh panting masses! You know who you are, those running around WS because there are no real "attractions" other than "shops." Heed me! Try... Kaki Gori Food Cart. Situated in Japan, in the shadow of the temple, just next to The American Adventure, this cart serves the best shaved ice I've ever had. I cannot figure out why people seem to skip. Maybe it's because this is "just shaved ice." Shaved ice is deceptively simple and standard everywhere, I thought, before I tried the shaved ice here. We all remember the Snoopy Sno Cone Machine, those rock hard Snow Cones form the ice cream truck, or the "fresh" ones at local fairs. Ice with supersweet syrup poured over them. Who cares! You will, after trying this. The cart takes shaved ice to a whole other level. After a walk around the World Showcae in August this shaved ice cart should be more crowded than anywhere. Instead of ice chunks, the ice is really like taking a mouthfull of snowflakes that manage to hold a great deal of the syrup at the top instead of letting it all flow to the bottom like most shaved ice. The flavors are unusual - Tangerine, Mellon (honeydew), and Strawberry. They taste like a just slightly accentuated version of the actual fruit/mellon. I happen to love the honeydew, which is exactly like honeydew should taste. Almost like the squeezed it for the juice and added some neon-green food coloring. My friend D, who doesn't like anything, tried the tangerine and thought it was fantastic. The cones are expensive but HUGE. You don't just get a light coating of flavoring you get a great heaping dose of it. On a hot day I'll take one of these over a Mickey Bar in a heartbeat! Rehydrate, masses!

If you want to take the precious fluids out of your body Kaki Gori also serves saki, plum wine, and Kirin beer. The saki is passable, if that. Im not a big saki drinker so I don't feel I can comment on this. The plum wine is a little too sweet for a hot day - sweeter than even the shaved ice. Kirin beer is a good beer, but really Japan isn't know for it's beer. The real find here, something I see too few people sampling, is the shaved ice. In August, this is THE place to stop. Perfect refreshment.

*** (of 4)

It's just that great.

I'm also proud that I didn't make any "Kaki" jokes. Hey, I'm an elementary school teacher. That's half the humor there. Pure restraint, on my part I say.

Till next time, "Hi Ho Eaters! Away!"
    Last edited by mercurywaxing; 02-04-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Forgot the "hi ho part." for shame. :(

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: The Galloping Gourmand's Sip and Snack 1 - Kaki Gori Food Cart

I'll have to try that next visit, thanks for the review. Yes, I was one of those people walking by in the summer.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I've never tried it either, I've seen the cart but never stopped. I'll make a point to do that next time. There was a place where we vacation on Cape Cod that had the most outrageous shaved ice and you could get it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the bottom (that was an option), that gave it a richness, it was so delicious. They had dozens of flavors. It was a treat but it is now closed.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

wdwkid32 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I love the kaki gouri cart. I get kaki gouri every trip.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Just had my DD read your review. We've never stopped either. She loves shaved ice and is a honeydew eating machine.

Her response to your recommendation....lets roll!

Hedi Ho!

FYI-The snow cone cart received a new name and a few new items!

From WDW News Today:
    Kabuki Cafe Opens in the Japan Pavilion | WDW News Today
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

you can use a snack credit on the kaki gouri right??
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

You could before and haven't heard anything to the contrary. Don't think you can use it for that Plum Wine as a snack credit though.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

yippie...cant wait to have some...

ecmickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

This is like a little hidden treasure! I usually get one on every visit because like it has already been said, it's wonderful to have one in the heat. The flavors are exotic, yet it it reminds you of the snow cones you enjoyed as a kid (only much softer and smoother).
    "How high can a sycamore grow; if you cut it down then you will never know."

totally missed this when we went last week. we barely did anything in world showcase except our norway lunch with the princess kinda bummed cause i wanted to see some stuff...oh well, next time. my daughter didnt wanna leave disney so i am gonna try to get back sooner!!