Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Dining plan and dieting in the Vacation Planning forums; I've used the Disney Dining Plan before and at least when the tip was included, it seemed worth it since I absolutely love dining at Disney's lovely restaurants. I could ...
    Artemis908 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Dining plan and dieting

I've used the Disney Dining Plan before and at least when the tip was included, it seemed worth it since I absolutely love dining at Disney's lovely restaurants. I could absolutely eat an entree and dessert every night! However, I am now on a diet with Weight Watchers and it has occurred to me that being on the Dining plan would likely make me want to eat more since I'd feel a need to get the "best bang for my buck" so to speak. I still want to go to all of my favorite restaurants, I just don't want to always feel a need to get dessert! So, let me tell you the restaurants I want to go to and maybe someone with experience in this can help me figure out if the Dining Plan is still worth it: Coral Reef, Garden Grill, Toyko Dining, Chef Mickey's Buffet, Le Cellier... I will be staying in Disney for 7 nights, however, one night in the middle I will be visiting family in the Orlando for likely the entire day. I don't even know if Disney allows you to do that... but I guess I'll find out when I make a reservation.

I am also thinking about going to Disney during their free dining plan, but again, if I am going to not be pigging out this year, is it really worth it? Should I just wait for another deal from Disney another time in the fall?

Your feedback is much appreciated!

1 small world is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Dining plan and dieting

From what I've seen, it depends on who else will be with you. Some people get the dining plan for mom and dad. Then mom and dad do the dining plan and just order appetizers from their dining plan for the kids and/or split a dinner plate.

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I wouldn't do the dining plan if I were you. Personally, I'd be wayyyyy to tempted with desserts There's usually a room only code that comes out, I'd use that instead.

And I didn't think you could buy the dining plan for just one or two in the party...thought it was an all or nothing thing. 1 small world, can you elaborate how they did this?

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I also thought everyone in the room needed to be on the same plan. DDP may not be the best option for a diet, but crunch the numbers. Look at the entrees and prices on AllEars.net and figure out your cost without the DDP, then compare.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I doubt it would be worth it when you take away the desserts (and if I were you, there would be NO WAY I could pass on the desserts when they're already paid for in a dining plan! That's just too tempting!) and when you try to eat the healthier options. When I used the dining plan I usually went for the most expensive things on the menu to make it more worth it, unless there was something that I REALLY wanted. So... I ate a long of steak on that trip haha. Plus the portions at Disney are huge... you could probably get appetizers to save money/calories instead of entrees, or split meals. Even the counter service meals come with a sugary drink, dessert and usually fries (although I know you can swap for salad at some places). You would be better off just paying for what you want.

Practical Mom is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by 1 small world View Post
    From what I've seen, it depends on who else will be with you. Some people get the dining plan for mom and dad. Then mom and dad do the dining plan and just order appetizers from their dining plan for the kids and/or split a dinner plate.

This is not possible. The DDP requires everyone in the same room/on the same reservation be on the DDP if it is purchased. So, Mom & Dad can't buy the DDP and feed the kids off their plates; unless the children are under the age of 3, in which case you would not be able to buy the DDP for them any way. Plus, appetizers are now an additional expense, they are not included in the plan.
    Last edited by Practical Mom; 02-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Practical Mom is offline A-Ticket holder

You may be able to compensate for a dessert at dinner by eating lighter the rest of the day. Many people believe that the counter-service meal is suppose to be used for lunch and the table-service meal for dinner. You can actually use your meal credits any way you like. What I would suggest is to use your counter-service credits for breakfast, use snack credits for something light to tide you through the middle of the day and then have a light dinner with dessert. You don't necessarily have to have that huge chunk of chocolate cake. There are very nice, satisfying sorbets offered at many of the restaurants.

Artemis908 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Practical Mom View Post
    You may be able to compensate for a dessert at dinner by eating lighter the rest of the day. Many people believe that the counter-service meal is suppose to be used for lunch and the table-service meal for dinner. You can actually use your meal credits any way you like. What I would suggest is to use your counter-service credits for breakfast, use snack credits for something light to tide you through the middle of the day and then have a light dinner with dessert. You don't necessarily have to have that huge chunk of chocolate cake. There are very nice, satisfying sorbets offered at many of the restaurants.
    That's a good idea, the counter-service meal options are usually pretty unhealthy and I am also a fairly late riser, so it shouldn't be a big deal for me to get something light for lunch.

dusten is offline C-Ticket Holder

WDW Radio Cruise 2011

Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
    Friend me at www.facebook.com/dusten2
    Visit my website at www.dusten.cc