Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss The Galloping Gourmond stalks a possible jeff lange at a dissapointing le cellier in the Vacation Planning forums; There is something wrong when a steakhouse is noted for soup and breadsticks. If someone told you to go to a great steakhouse back home and went on and on ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Unhappy The Galloping Gourmond stalks a possible jeff lange at a dissapointing le cellier

There is something wrong when a steakhouse is noted for soup and breadsticks. If someone told you to go to a great steakhouse back home and went on and on about an appetizer youíd have good reason to question how the steak was. That means that the steak, which, if you pardon the confused metaphor, should be a steakhouseís bread and butter, is not up to snuff. That was definitely the case with Le Cellier. I know Iím getting into heresy here, so I better back this up.

We ate at Le Cellier in the middle of December. It was lunch, and I believe Jeff Lange (?) was in the restaurant Ė he was wearing a WDW today polo. I was eating with 7 other people and almost all of them ordered the same thing. The mushroom filet, medium. I had the grilled steak salad because I am allergic to mushroom. I was also one of only two people in the group to have the soup. It was as fantastic as everyone says. It has some kick and bite to it. The secret is, I think, the tobasco and wosterchier sauce. They managed to get this tricky mixture just right so that it doesnít quite overpower the cheese. The soup is so good that anything following it is hard pressed to top it. This is a steakhouse, though. One with a great reputation. I wasnít worried about the steak topping this.

Much to my joy ever single piece of steak was well marbled and uniformly cut. Iím the son of a butcher and have a good eye for these things. They were very nice pieces of well marbled meat. Thick, presented well, and on the outside looking perfect. However when cut it was obvious. Instead of hot red and pink the center was all light pink. Medium well, if not well done. Overcooked.

I thought it was our table at first so I looked around Ė and again I think possible-Jeff might have noticed that I looked down at his table as I came back to mine from the restroom. Sorry about that. Yes, Iím creepy, but it's a research creepy so all is forgiven, right? Free DVD's for everyone! My research showed that all the pieces of meat were cooked just about the same way. There were a few rare pieces but other than that everything was medium well.

Ok ok, so how did it taste? Due to the mushroom I couldnít have it but the table all agreed Ė it was fine. Thatís all. Fine. These beautiful pieces of steak reduced to ďfine.Ē You should say great! Itís melting in my mouth! This is a steakhouse! All the potential on that plate, ruined. There is absolutely no excuse for overcooking at a steakhouse. This was lazy uniform cooking. My steak was also medium well, but I ordered it that way. It was an excellent steak to be sure but I was disheartened.

I had a hard time writing this. I didnít want to write it. Looking back on it now it seems like a rant, but thatís how I feel. Until I go back, and I will go back next time, I cannot recommend it. I hope the kitchen had a bad day and next time everything will be grand.

Stars on hold for further review.

Until next time "hi ho eaters. Away!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: The Galloping Gourmond stalks a possible jeff lange at a dissapointing le cellier

I've never quite understood the hype around Le Cellier. I can make a better steak in my oven!

...you break my heart though! Medium well and you're the son of a butcher! for shame!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Re: The Galloping Gourmond stalks a possible jeff lange at a dissapointing le cellier

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    I've never quite understood the hype around Le Cellier. I can make a better steak in my oven!

...you break my heart though! Medium well and you're the son of a butcher! for shame!
    Yeah, I know. I don't like rare meat. Medium is what I prefer. The steak on the salad is sliced in thin strips. When I my steak is served like that I often get medium rare because I don't like the blood on the greens too much. I should have said that in my post.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

I think its almost taken for granted that most places will over cook a steak. Which is why I always order rare when what I really want (and get) is medium rare.
    ...As my cattle ranching grandpa would say - "wipe his nose, knock his horns off and slap 'em on the plate".
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I think its almost taken for granted that most places will over cook a steak. Which is why I always order rare when what I really want (and get) is medium rare.
    ...As my cattle ranching grandpa would say - "wipe his nose, knock his horns off and slap 'em on the plate".
    There is no reason to over cook a steak and it is not acceptable anywhere. All the kitchen has to do is get the temperature right. A cook should know that the uniform steaks on the grill at X temperature will take Y amount of time to cook.

Some places, for health or regulation reasons, will not serve a true rare steak. I can understand that. Getting an order for a medium wrong is not something one should excuse.

Which goes back to my original theory. People love Le Cellier for the soup not the steak. The steak, though, should be the easy part. You need to leave a steakhouse saying what great steak, not what great bread sticks and soup.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think the "working" definition of rare, med-rare, etc... varies by geographic region. Some places, rare means red, warm center with plenty of juice; other places it can mean that the steak was walked past the grill on the way to the dining room. It is probably best to confirm with your server when ordering. In the past, we have had to change our normal order based on how the restaurant defines their preparedness.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We found LeCellier shortly after it became a restaurant, prior it was a less than Disney average cafeteria. Yep, push your tray through cafeteria. LeCellier was so good and we ate there all the time, you could walk in anytime and be seated. Sadly, with the forums and word of mouth our little secret was out. Worse, the Dining Plan, I believe between our hype and the plan, it has sunk itself. It is small and cannot keep up with the demand, much like Chef Mickey in DTD and Disney moved it to the Contemporary.

I so agree that their Soup is the best thing there. (note they changed the recipe last year) When we were there on the plan that included the appetiser, dessert, tip, I believe we were in their less than 40 minutes for 3 courses and a drink. Drinks came after appetiser, shortly after appetiser appeared, dinner served and dessert order taken. Dessert came mid dinner and were given our check.
    The food was OK, the Soup grand as was the Chocolate Mouse.

Not feeling the love I once did. I think many are afraid to admit this for fear they will be flogged! But I have seen similar comments on All Ears and MousePlanet.

Thanks for your bold review! I appreciate honesty.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

vDunninger is offline A-Ticket holder

Alas, I have to strongly agree. As as Canadian, I would hope to be a little more supportive of a signature dining establishment in the Canadian pavilion, but in this case, I can't be. We had heard so many good things about this place (now that I think back on it, it was mostly about the soup) and tried for 3 years to get a reservation with no success. Consistently hard to get in? Must be good! Finally, 2 yrs ago our break came and we got a table for dinner with the family. Soup was indeed excellent. Steaks came (I take mine blue; hint of a flame being near it and it's burnt) and everything the soup had built up in expectation had disappeared. The Keg back home does a better job in preparing a steak. Even those in the family (which is everyone else) who take their steak done to a more moderate level (rare - med/rare) were very unimpressed. We were all very disappointed and are not likely to go back. Last year we went to the Yachtsman over at YBC for the first time and what a truly exceptional experience. From service, to atmosphere to the some of the best steak I've had anywhere. Steak lovers take heart, not all is lost. If LC isn't your idea of a steakhouse, I'm certain you'll find the Yachtsman will fill the bill quite nicely. IMHO

1998, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
    2000 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2007 - Beach Club Resort (YOMD concierge winner!)
    2008 - Polynesian Resort
    2009 - Disneyland Hotel (WWYC vacation winner!)
    2010 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2011 - DLR Paris & Disney Magic 7nts Med
    2012 - Old Key West Resort

vDunninger is offline A-Ticket holder

Sorry, just remembered LC isn't a signature restaurant. Maybe all the hype I had heard around it made me think it was. My other comments still stand; cost of LC vs Yachtsman not considered in my opinion, nor would it change it if it was. Quality and the experience more than make up the difference in overall value.

1998, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
    2000 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2007 - Beach Club Resort (YOMD concierge winner!)
    2008 - Polynesian Resort
    2009 - Disneyland Hotel (WWYC vacation winner!)
    2010 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2011 - DLR Paris & Disney Magic 7nts Med
    2012 - Old Key West Resort

Mickey Fan is offline B-Ticket Holder

We tried LC last April & weren't impressed. We also requested medium & they were most definitely medium well. Overall, the meal was ok but nothing special. My teenage son loves steak & wasn't happy with his meal there either. Glad we tried it but we're in no rush to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I think the "working" definition of rare, med-rare, etc... varies by geographic region. Some places, rare means red, warm center with plenty of juice; other places it can mean that the steak was walked past the grill on the way to the dining room. It is probably best to confirm with your server when ordering. In the past, we have had to change our normal order based on how the restaurant defines their preparedness.

In a sense, yes. All food is regional and all tastes are different. You see that variation commonly with "rare" meat. There are, however, restaurant standards that one picks up in cooking school.

You are correct that when ordering you should give clear directions.

As an aside, I'm glad (and disappointed) it wasn't just me feeling this way about Le Cellier. I thought maybe I was missing something. Looks like I wasn't.

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mercurywaxing View Post
    In a sense, yes. All food is regional and all tastes are different. You see that variation commonly with "rare" meat. There are, however, restaurant standards that one picks up in cooking school.

You are correct that when ordering you should give clear directions.

As an aside, I'm glad (and disappointed) it wasn't just me feeling this way about Le Cellier. I thought maybe I was missing something. Looks like I wasn't.
    There's safety in numbers!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Hmmm I've wanted to eat here but can't afford it (for now at least). But... maybe if I go for lunch and just have some bread and soup

feedthebirds is offline A-Ticket holder

Le Cellier is totally overrated, I wish I liked it, but I feel like I'd rather spend my dining points elsewhere...
    Good breadsticks though!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    Hmmm I've wanted to eat here but can't afford it (for now at least). But... maybe if I go for lunch and just have some bread and soup

Or go to the podium and they will get you a waitress and you can have soup to go. Very economical and tasty.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast