Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Galloping Gourmand's Dr. tells him to say goodbye to the Manin Street Bakery in the Vacation Planning forums; Oh, this will be tough. My Dr. has informed me that for the good of my health I have to start eating better. I'm not huge by any means (162lb, ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Galloping Gourmand's Dr. tells him to say goodbye to the Manin Street Bakery

Oh, this will be tough. My Dr. has informed me that for the good of my health I have to start eating better. I'm not huge by any means (162lb, 5'6") but I am just a little overweight. That's not a huge issue. It's my levels. I've inherited my family's notoriously high cholesterol, which is roughly equivalent to that of seagoing mammals, and am boarderline diabetic. I don not intend to push myself over the boarderline.* The nice thing about being me is that I like all food and will learn to enjoy healthier food. The trade off is that I will have to give up a few things I love. Yes, even on vacation. I'll have to make some serious choices and not even entering the Main Street Bakery is one of them. I won't be sitting in the Victorian era establishment nibbling some sweet pastry any more.

The bakery is the commando's first or second stop in the park. Run in, grab an egg crissount or pastry, and run to get your fast passes and hop in the first line of the day. Or get your FP's then run back while you wait for the time. A true command will have someone stop here for breakfast while everybody else rushes to get FP and meet up in front of the que for the next ride, then eat in line. Man, good times. Now I'll have someone pick up a bow of fruit for me because I'm not even setting foot in the place. Too tempting.

I suppose I could run in and get fruit for breakfast but I'm weak. They are right next to cinnamon buns the size of a baby's head. A LARGE baby's head. They are so sweet they can make your teeth hurt - in a good way! But, you know, I mean they do sit a little heavy on the stomach. Yes, I'm rationalizing.

Oh, those chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches. They ooze everywhere, and the cookies are scrumptions. They, too are the size of a large baby's head. Also, those ubiquitous rice krispie treats, only I think these are actually made instead of packaged in some factory in Peoria or something. Dang things are as large as a... hmmm... I need a new metaphor here.

So this is my goodbye. It's been real. I'll be munching on a nice, crisp apple and some good granola or something out on the street away from the famously evil cookie smell that emanates from the location lest I float over following the aroma a cartoon. Everyone else, enjoy. It's a darn good place.

*** of 4

Till next time, "Hi Ho eaters! Away!"

*see my restraint there. I could have said that doing this could make me loose my mind, but I held back.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Galloping Gourmand's Dr. tells him to say goodbye to the Manin Street Bakery

Baby's head=DELICIOUS!

1 small world is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Galloping Gourmand's Dr. tells him to say goodbye to the Manin Street Bakery

Hmm... I wonder if your dr. knows my dr.?
    Doc looks at family history and decides I should eat better and exercise...
    to wit...
    I have lost 20 lbs!
    But...
    I am planning on hitting up a few faves at WDW next week - balance veggies and exercise with a few treats... that's the plan!
    Oh, lots of water too!
    Good luck!
    From one gourmand to another.

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Did you ever try the French Toast Loaf when it was there? ...heavenly!

Of course we get there at rope drop to go eat at the Main St Bakery...don't really worry about Fast Passes and rides. Priorities, you know!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Being from a family that is full of diabetics...you might find when you get into an exercise routine, loose those few extra pounds and start to maintain your ideal weight your sugar levels will settle down.

Exercise is key with the weight loss thing and keeping those sugar levels down. Even if it is 30 minute walks a day.

Good luck!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Why is it that they ousted our French Toast Loaf anyways.

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Why is it that they ousted our French Toast Loaf anyways.
    It's a sin, it is.

And to all those who suggested exercise, well I'm working on it. I'm a rather stationary guy. D says I only get up early and walk more than a few feet when I'm at WDW.