Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss El Galloping Gourmand come es San Angel Inn in the Vacation Planning forums; For atmosphere, the San Angel Inn at Epcot's Mexico Pavilion cannot be topped. Nestled in the back of the plaza at the foot of the Aztec pyramid it's perpetually dusk. ...
    mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

El Galloping Gourmand come es San Angel Inn

For atmosphere, the San Angel Inn at Epcot's Mexico Pavilion cannot be topped. Nestled in the back of the plaza at the foot of the Aztec pyramid it's perpetually dusk. Almost every seemingly individually decorated chair gives you a beautiful view of either this or the plaza. Every half hour or so a mariachi band plays just outside the restaurant. If you are very lucky, you will see the boats passing by on their journey on the River of Time. There are other surprises as well that I'll leave you to find. Suffice it to say that a lot of thought went into planning the place and, even though the tables are packed in a little tight in places, it's a wonderfully bustling yet relaxing place to eat. I might even say romantic. Very few people will argue any of the points listed above. The big division here is the quality of food, which I will defend.

I think people come to the San Angel Inn expecting Tex-mex. That's a form of food that originated in southern Texas from Mexicans crossing the boarder in the late 1800's. Fajitas are Tex-mex, and they are not on the menu. Neither is chilli. For those of you who don't know the difference between tex-mex and more southern Mexican cuisine I think chilli is the key. To many chilli is about heat and a spicy heavy flavor. If it's burn your mouth spicy, it's probably Tex-mex. If it has a lot of melted cheese, Tex-mex. Finally, if it has chocolate it's probably Mexican. These are not hard and fast rules, but they will go a ways to explaining why so many are disappointed with the fare. We expect our Mexican food to be Tex-mex, and what you will get here is subtly different.

Many north American places offer my favorite dish on the menu, Mole Poblano. That's chicken with a light chocolate sauce. We may have it here in the states, but in Mexico Mole sauce is as regional as bar-b-que sauce is here. Chicken Mole could be from any region, and Mole Poblano is the most well known here in the states, but up here it's developed some Tex-mex influences where the chilis seem to overwhelm the rest of the flavors. The Mole Poblano here has subtler and more complex flavors. You get your chili, and your chocolate, but you will also get some of the nutty flavor come through, as well as a touch of cilantro that was on mine.

The tortilla soup was delivered to my table in a way that surprised me. When I've had it in the past it's always been in a bowl pre-mixed, sometimes with the avocado or the tortilla strips in the middle. At San Angel Inn they have the ingredients placed in little piles of the dry dish, then come and pour the broth over it. You mix it up yourself. I was not a fan, as the flavors never really had a chance to mingle in the soup. Strangely, I would get it again so go figure. The stomach wants what it wants, I guess.

Since I seem to be working backwards through my meal I will now comment on the stack of chips and salsa on the table. First, heavy cilantro flavor in the salsa, so be aware. Next, it's a never ending stream of chips so be careful not to fill up as I almost did.

But, you are all saying, how are the tacos? They are very good, fresh, and well made. I don't have a lot to say about them as I've never been a huge fan of tacos. I know everyone at my table enjoyed the order we shared. I had one, it was good, but I really don't feel like I'm the one to say anything for or against them too much because I'm simply not a taco guy. I'll eat one if it's in front of me though.

So, don't go expecting Chilli's or your local mexican joint. You won't be getting a plate of sizzling fajitas here. Just good, flavorful food in one of the most beautiful environments in WDW.

*** (of 4)

Till next time, "Hi-ho Eaters! Away!"

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: El Galloping Gourmand come es San Angel Inn

So are there tame foods on the menu? I've always skipped this place since my Tummy can't take Northern version of Mexican foods.

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: El Galloping Gourmand come es San Angel Inn

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    So are there tame foods on the menu? I've always skipped this place since my Tummy can't take Northern version of Mexican foods.
    I haven't had the whole menu. I don't like "hot" food (other than wings) and I can handle it, but if you can't take the northern versions of Mexican I think you should stay on the safe side and stay away. Especially if you don't like the flavor of cilantro.
    AKA "the Galloping Gourmand"