Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Dining Plan? in the Vacation Planning forums; My last trip was in 2003, no Dining Plan since we were at the Ft Wilderness cabins, I thought I'd cook, lol. We spent so much money on food in ...
    Virginiagirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Dining Plan?

My last trip was in 2003, no Dining Plan since we were at the Ft Wilderness cabins, I thought I'd cook, lol. We spent so much money on food in the parks, I thought the Dining Plan would be essential this time.
    I'm a little concerned though, I am reading on other forums that the waitstaff hates the Dining Plan since gratuities are not included and some patrons feel they are getting bad service because of it. Having waitressed my way through college , I have always been a generous tipper.
    This time the family is staying home and I am going to WDW with a friend, a first-timer who is celebrating the fact that her cancer is in remission. I have told her over and over that WDW is the Happiest Place on Earth and want her to have a wonderful time!
    Has anyone had the bad experience with the waitstaff while on the dining plan? I don't want my poor friend to get the impression that Disney World is a surly place.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Dining Plan?

When I used the dining plan I had no problem with the waitstaff... in a few cases they were wonderful, and a few other times it was "just good". I never found any of them to be anything but friendly though, and certainly not rude.

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

First of all - That is such wonderful news about your friend!! It really does need to be celebrated!!

The Dining Plan sometimes gets bad press - but I have never seen waitstaff treat a table differently because they were on the dining plan.

The main thing to think about with the dining plan is how you usually eat, and if the plan fits your needs.

Personally, the dining plan is something I choose not to do. Often at a table service restaurant, I just get an appetizer and perhaps a side salad - and then maybe share a dessert with someone. On the Dining plan, you get an entrée and your own dessert - and that is just too much food for me!!

So much food is waisted on the Dining plan - I have often seen a table full of desserts left with just one bite taken out of them!

But, I have several clients who swear by the dining plan!! It is a great way to be able to sample some of the fantastic restaurants that Disney has to offer!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

Virginiagirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Oh, thank you both so much! Today is my day off and I have been surfing the net, stressing over my friends first impression!
    So far we have ADR at Coral Reef, Germany's Biergarten, Yak & Yeti, need 3 more, can't decide. What do you guys think about the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show for adults?

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

I think it's fun - but a bit hokey. It also takes two table service credits if you decide to do the dining plan. Of the dinners shows, I like the Hoop-De-Doo Revue the best. It really is a lot of fun!!

Don't just go by my word on the Luau. I have many clients who just love it!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Those are good choices so far, we did those three when my friend and I used the dining plan. I wasn't expecting to love Biergarten as much as I did (its a LOT of fun), and Coral Reef has a great atmosphere... and my friend and I both though Yak and Yeti was one of our best meals of the week, hands down. I had some fried cream cheese wonton in honey sauce with vanilla ice cream for dessert... YUM!!!

I've never done any of the dinner shows because I didn't want to use two credits for dinner. Have you thought about Ohana? A lot of reviews say that you have to pretty much love eating tons of meat to like this place (which is a huge reason why my bf loved it haha), but I never have more than one or two TINY pieces of meat when I'm there, and it's worth it to me for the dumplings (I could just eat these), chicken wings, salad and DESSERT!!! I also love the noodles, but some people don't like the texture.
    The last time I went it was my graduation the week before, and we mentioned it in the reservations and they brought out a cupcake with a candle for me to blow out (even though it wasn't my birthday). You should definitely mention that you guys are celebrating when you make reservations!! Also, we made our reservations for half and hour before Wishes and were seated right at the window. They turn off the lights and pipe the music in... and maybe it was because I hadn't seen Wishes in 2 years at that point (we hadn't been to the MK on that trip yet), but I remember just feeling SO happy Nothing like Wishes and being full of delicious dessert to make me happy!

Anyways, that was kind of long... you can see how much I like it there though haha!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i have gone on the dining plan and off.. and had even service both trips.. but i have to say my last trip i wasnt on the dining plan and got AWFUL wait service at the market at CSR and my waitress was never seen.. and at chef mickeys i had to wait forever for my check.. i could have got up and walked out and she would have never known she never got us more drink.. she came by once gave us our drinks, came by again asked if we were done.. and then 2 hours later...lol came with the check and then a hour later came back with my card so i could leave.. it was insane.. but i have gone both ways.. and it was fine.. my last trip which was not dining plan was the worest ever
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm doing the dining plan (free) this October for the first time. My sense is that bad experiences have little to do with DDP. I mean you can get bad tippers who aren't on a plan too so I don't know how waitstaff could single out just those on the plan. That said, I hope I don't run into this situations like this as I'm on my vacation and am trying to escape the Jersey atmosphere that I live in everyday. Plus it doesn't matter if my DDP was free, i'm spending a lot of money to stay on site and be there for 7 days and I am a generous tipper. It's a kingdom, as a guest i should be considered king!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I think this stems from when gratuity was included and some servers wouldn't try as hard for those on the DDP since they knew they'd get a tip anyway.

Since they removed gratuity from the DDP, I haven't heard of a change in service on the DDP.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle