Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss New to DDP in the Vacation Planning forums; An unexpected thing came up with our next trip this August, and my sister will now be joining us on the trip. We were initially staying in the Cabins at ...
    Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

New to DDP

An unexpected thing came up with our next trip this August, and my sister will now be joining us on the trip. We were initially staying in the Cabins at Fort Wilderness, but because my sister doesn't have any ticket media, it got to the point with the amount of times we would have to be eating out because of her wanting to get the use out of her tickets (can't say I blame her), it became no longer profitable to stay in the camping cabins, because we'd be eating out more often than eating in the cabin like we planned.

The other day, we switched our booking to French Quarter, still getting our 30% AP discount. We decided it would probably be the most economical to use the DDP giving the situation. We've never used the DDP before. We got the basic plan, which is giving us 1 table service, 1 counter service and 1 snack per day.

I looked at All Ears Net and they describe the snacks as being things like ice cream, cookies, drinks, ect. My initial plan was to use my snack credit for breakfast and just get something like a pastry or banana with my snack credit for my "breakfast". Does Disney offer things like muffins, fruit, cereal, pastries, ect as a snack on the DDP? All they mentioned on All Ears were more dessert type things. Or would I have to pay out of pocket for these things.

Also, does anyone know if the beignets at French Quarter are considered a snack or not?

FritzTiki is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: New to DDP

Not sure about the beignets at French Quarter but I do know that the "snack" on the basic DDP covers a ton of items ( not just desserts). I think what we discovered on our last trip was that most things under $4 typically were covered under a " snack ". It could be a pretzel, a churro or a piece of fruit or a muffin. I don't think it would be unreasonable to say you could find a "snack" for breakfast every day. Good luck!

nats is offline A-Ticket holder

I have not stayed at POFQ, but stayed at WL, we did the same DDP as you and we were able to get pasteries/muffins and cooked oatmeal with toppings as a snack. Unfortunately, I did not figure out the oatmeal until our trip was almost over. Generally, anything under $4 is considered a snack. Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Sharon&Randy is offline D-Ticket Holder

You are doing the greatest thing by researching the plan.
    The first couple of days sometimes seems confusing if it is the first time.
    If you know how the system works ahead of time it won't be so aggravating.
    We are a family of 6 and we usually drive. We bring some of our own cereals, bowls, and used the snack credit for milk. We are not big breakfast eaters so it worked out great. Then around 10:00 we would use the snack to tide over for lunch if someone needed it. If not we used the snack for late night leaving the park. Even if you flew you could pack some breakfast bars. If it is just adults you probably could get by with nothing extra. You will get plenty of food. So excited for you. We love the dining plan. I hope you are set with ADR's.

Thanks for your info everyone, I'm glad we'll be able to get fruit or muffins or something for breakfast. I'll keep in mind the idea with the cereal and milk; I'm not a big cereal eater, but the rest of my family is.

I do have my ADR's set already. We did make them pretty late, as we didn't know we were going to be doing this until last minute. But we did manage to get Boma, Captain's Grille, Liberty Tree Tavern and Raglan Road.

Sharon&Randy is offline D-Ticket Holder

I was wondering how Liberty Tree Tavern was. It would be great to know if you liked it.
    Have a great trip!!! We have to wait until 2011.

nats is offline A-Ticket holder

I actually have a funny story about Liberty Tree Tavern. My 4 yr old, my mom and I were there last Fall, we took a seat on a bench facing another bench waiting for our name to be called. I noticed a lady sitting down, looked right at her and it was Paula Deen. When she saw me look right at her, she was like a deer in headlights. But, she was nice as could be and her husband Michael came over and talked with us. They also ended up being at the next table over from us with her grandson, son Jaimie and daughter in law.

Anyway, TMI, the food was good (by WDW standards), we had dinner so it was family style and I don't know if this matters to you, but they no longer have characters. We definitely would go back. It's very cozy, nice place to get out of the crowd for awhile.

iheartdisney01 is offline C-Ticket Holder

For breakfeast at French Quarter I would suggest taking a boat to Riverside and go to the food court there. Its AMAZING! They have everything! Its not a long boat ride and the buses are a few short pases from the food court.!
    Just Keep Swimming

My Disney Vacations...
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Beach Club
    2004-Beach Club
    2005-Beach Club
    2006-Beach Club
    2006(again)-Beach Club
    2007-Beach Club
    2008-Beach Club
    2009-Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia Bend
    2010(next vacation!)-Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia Bend

iheartdisney01

iheartdisney01 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by nats View Post
    I actually have a funny story about Liberty Tree Tavern. My 4 yr old, my mom and I were there last Fall, we took a seat on a bench facing another bench waiting for our name to be called. I noticed a lady sitting down, looked right at her and it was Paula Deen. When she saw me look right at her, she was like a deer in headlights. But, she was nice as could be and her husband Michael came over and talked with us. They also ended up being at the next table over from us with her grandson, son Jaimie and daughter in law.

Anyway, TMI, the food was good (by WDW standards), we had dinner so it was family style and I don't know if this matters to you, but they no longer have characters. We definitely would go back. It's very cozy, nice place to get out of the crowd for awhile.

omg thats so cool! wow!
    Just Keep Swimming

My Disney Vacations...
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Beach Club
    2004-Beach Club
    2005-Beach Club
    2006-Beach Club
    2006(again)-Beach Club
    2007-Beach Club
    2008-Beach Club
    2009-Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia Bend
    2010(next vacation!)-Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia Bend

iheartdisney01

That's a really cool story about Paula Deen.

We've eaten at the Liberty Tree a few times. The last time we were there for dinner was when it was still a character meal. It was great then (especially the flank steak), but I've heard its not as good as it used to be.

I'll let you know what I thought of it this time around once we get back.