Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss Surprise Dinner for my Parents in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey everyone- My family and I are making our annual pilgrimage out to WDW this December. This time around we are taking along some extras (my fiance and my brothers' ...
    babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder

Surprise Dinner for my Parents

Hey everyone-

My family and I are making our annual pilgrimage out to WDW this December. This time around we are taking along some extras (my fiance and my brothers' girlfriends) so our group of 5 is now a group of 8. That being said I thought it would be a nice early Christmas gift from us to surprise my parents with a nice sit-down dinner for just the two of them. Any suggestions as to where? I've thought about Victoria & Albert's but we've never eaten there so I don't know much about it.

I'd also like to be able to set it up so the meal is pre-paid, maybe even have a special invitation sent to them at our hotel room. I know that if you can dream it, Disney can do it, so if there are any suggestions out there on how to make this happen I would appreciate it very much!

Budget isn't *necessarily* an issue.....I'm not made of money but my parents are worth every penny.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Surprise Dinner for my Parents

What a beautiful idea, I hope my kids are reading this thread. It really depends on your parents likes and dislikes, but for fine dining I would think either Citrico's (I really enjoyed their food last time I was there) or Narcoossee's (I've never eaten there but have heard really good things about it, the food and the view!!) or California Grill, good food and the ultimate view. I'm not sure how you would work it but I would think if you called the restaurant directly you could put your credit card on file. Ask to speak to the Maitre d'. Some of these restaurants may even provide special paper menus for keepsakes (I know some of them use to), again ask the Maitre d'. As far as the invitation goes, not sure how that would be done, but I would think it would easy enough to do it yourself. Just make up something and ask the front desk to have it delivered to their room. Good luck and let us know how it goes
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I believe there's also private dining that you can set up at the Grand Floridian. I think it'd be something really unique Private Dining - Grand Floridian

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I guess it depends on what type of diners your parents are. While at Disney I am not a dress up kinda gal. Nice dudes a few times but I tend to pack casual. Do your parents generally pack dress clothes for Disney, Suit & Tie for Dad at V&A if it is going to be a surprise?

I love the Yachtman Steakhouse, Artist Point and have heard glowing reports about Narcoossee's also. Yachtsman has so many good reviews and continuously takes the independent Best Steak award for WDW property.

AuburnDisneyFan is offline A-Ticket holder

Narcoosee's is fabulous! The seafood is great, and the filet is good too. Narcoosee's doesn't have the strict dress code of V&A's-slacks and a polo for guys and skirt or dress pants with a blouse for women. A restraunt with a similar dress code might be better, so as your parents might have already packed something similar. I've found that Narcoosee's is easier to get a ressie around the fireworks, versus California Girll (In my experience) We had a 8:00 ressie and were in the middle of dessert by the 10:00 fireworks. You can see them from all the window seats (half the restraunt) or you can go out on the porch. It was our dress-up night instead of a dinner show and we really enjoyed it.

Bleach is offline A-Ticket holder

What a good idea.

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder

Just wanted to update you all: We made a reservation for them at V&As. My brother is the same size as my dad so he's bringing his suit and tie just in case my dad doesn't bring one of his own. My mom is always dressed up anyway so I'm not worried about her.

They wouldn't let me prepay for the meal, which I suppose makes sense, so we are going to buy a gift card once we get there. Before we leave, my brothers and I are going to type up a nice letter to them. Then we are going to have a cast member deliver the letter and gift card to the room.

We are staying at Caribbean Beach but we are renting a car so they will be able to get there on their own, plus the free valet is always nice.

While they do that, the rest of us are going to go to the ESPN Zone on the Boardwalk and hopefully catch an NCAA Bowl game and just hang out. Once theyre done, we'll meet up at the Boardwalk and go to Jellyrolls.

I'm really excited and I think my parents are just going to flip.
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Sounds wonderful!!! A very nice thing to do!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle