Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dining Discuss Trail's End restaurant at Ft.Wilderness in the Vacation Planning forums; Several years ago,we used to eat at Trail's End,over in Ft.Wilderness once every trip to WDW.But on our last 5 trips(just guessing),we did not eat there.So it has been several ...
    Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Trail's End restaurant at Ft.Wilderness

Several years ago,we used to eat at Trail's End,over in Ft.Wilderness once every trip to WDW.But on our last 5 trips(just guessing),we did not eat there.So it has been several years since we have actually eaten there.We really loved it a lot.The servers were top-knotch,the place was never crowded,and the food was excellent!
    But now,as things have changed,as I know they do,I'd like for those that have eaten at Trail's End in the last 2-3 years,to please comment on how the restaurant is now days.Is it still an "all you can eat buffet",has that changed to a sit down order type?Is the food still as great as it was in our years there?What about the price?How much does it cost to eat there these days?We actually paid around $7 per adult back then and my kids were a lot cheaper than that.How about now?
    I'm just looking for some updates on one of our favorite places to eat at WDW.Sadly,I lost my job in '08,and we haven't had the money to go back.But maybe one day we'll get back.Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Park Hopper Dad!

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Trail's End restaurant at Ft.Wilderness

Hi PHD

We visited Trails End back in February and it was still an all you can eat buffet for dinner. The food was really good (the fried chicken is bloomin' lovely!). From what I can remember, the adult price was round $20 dollars per person and around half that for kiddies (although you might want to double-check that with somebody else).
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by missbounce View Post
    Hi PHD

We visited Trails End back in February and it was still an all you can eat buffet for dinner. The food was really good (the fried chicken is bloomin' lovely!). From what I can remember, the adult price was round $20 dollars per person and around half that for kiddies (although you might want to double-check that with somebody else).
    WOW! If that price is accurate,then they have nearly tripled the price since we last ate there.Sadly,if that is true,we will never be able to eat there again.I think it is so sad,that eating establishments,have raised their prices up so much over the last few years.Not only at WDW,but EVERYWHERE! I mean,you can't even get out of Taco Bell,without spending $5 per person.But what is,is what is,and that my friends,is nothing more,than GREED!
    AH! But I loved that place though,and was hoping to eat there again.But alas,such is life!
    Park Hopper Dad!

langway4 is offline A-Ticket holder

We were just there and it is one of my all time favorites! Prices for dinner were I believe $23 for adults and $12 for kids. Food seems better than ever as they have added more choices and the desert bar is really good now! Unfortunately, our favorite time to go was always lunch, and I just read where they are not offering the buffet at lunch anymore as part of a trial period. Everything for lunch currently is a la carte. But there is no doubt the dinner buffet is one of the places I miss most when not at DisneyWorld!!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Unfortunate for fans of the lunch buffet, but apparently the switch to a la carte is due to guest requests. I would have preferred they stuck with the buffet.

langway4 is offline A-Ticket holder

The lunch buffet was probably the best food value in all of Disney!!! Hopefully it changes back after the "trial" period!!

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

We ate there probably about 3-5 years ago and will be trying it again at the end of this month. The food was still very good. However, I did hear on another podcast of some people who had recently tried it and said it was horrible. (I'm not buying that).

Breakfast ($12-$13) is still a buffet. Lunch was recently changed over to a la carte serving. Dinner is still a buffet and priced at around $22-$23 for adults.

Think_Tink is offline Fastpass Holder

I ate there one time but did not care too much for the food. I do not know what I was expecting, but the bbq style just was not for me.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

From MousePlanet:

WDWMagic.com is reporting that Trail’s End Restaurant at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort is now offering an a la carte menu service for lunch instead of a buffet service on a trial basis (link). The menu includes chili, fried chicken and waffles, sautéed catfish, grilled pork chop, spicy grilled shrimp and andouille sausage, Wilderness s’mores and a warm sticky bun sundae. No word yet on how long the trial period will last. Breakfast and dinner are set to remain as a buffet.

From All Ears:

Walt Disney World Dining News:
    -- Trails End Restaurant at Fort Wilderness is now offering a pilot program at lunch, serving an a la carte menu instead of a buffet. Items include chili, fried chicken and waffles, sauteed catfish, grilled pork chop, spicy grilled shrimp and andouille sausage, as well as desserts such as wilderness s'mores and a warm sticky bun sundae. A vegetarian entree and no sugar added dessert option will also be available. Breakfast and dinner remain a buffet. No word on when the pilot will end.

Quote Originally Posted by Think_Tink View Post
    I ate there one time but did not care too much for the food. I do not know what I was expecting, but the bbq style just was not for me.
    Bar-B-Que is a "Southern Thang!" That's why "yall" didn't care for it.You Jersey folks just don't understand.

(My comments are totally in fun,just trying to make ya laugh,take no offense to any of it,you know us "Southerners" haha LOL!).
    Park Hopper Dad!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    Bar-B-Que is a "Southern Thang!" That's why "yall" didn't care for it.You Jersey folks just don't understand.

(My comments are totally in fun,just trying to make ya laugh,take no offense to any of it,you know us "Southerners" haha LOL!).
    Love the disclaimer, made my night!

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Trail's End is still kickin', and except for the recent switch to a la carte at lunch has not changed much over the years.

Trail's End is one of the most coveted role assignments for waiters and waitresses at Disney, so the people that work there are top notch vets. They know a lot about Disney World and are happy to talk to you about it. Some of the best cast members you'll ever meet.

The buffet prices are a bit high, so I'm glad they've switched to a la carte for lunch. I never eat $21 worth of food at lunch so I will probably come out ahead now.

I love Trail's End for a taste of "old Disney". Not much has changed there since 1971 and that's fine with me.

By the way, if you're staying at Fort Wilderness, Trail's End carryout pizza is decent and is reasonably priced. You can order at the counter, grab drink at Crockett's while you wait, then take the pie back to your camper or cabin when it's done.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Just wanted to mention for those commenting on the price of Trails End being expensive/high, that actually when you compare it to other Disney buffets for dinner, Trails End is about as cheap as you can get. Most of the Disney buffets are in the $30 range for dinner per person (adult).

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Best meals by quality and price, on property by far. You actually get what you pay for. We always make it over to Trails End no matter where we're staying, especially for breakfast. Our arrival day (more like night) tradition is Crocketts Tavern (lower level at Trails End) for pizza and beer. It's down home cuisine, buffet and the price is second to none and the atmosphere in the evening is quaint and very quiet after a chaotic day in the parks...

Quote Originally Posted by Flrancho View Post
    Just wanted to mention for those commenting on the price of Trails End being expensive/high, that actually when you compare it to other Disney buffets for dinner, Trails End is about as cheap as you can get. Most of the Disney buffets are in the $30 range for dinner per person (adult).
    You are right about Trails End buffet being the cheapest buffet.BUT! And I say BUT! When you've eaten there in the early 2000's,and for about the first 3-4 yrs in 2000,and it was only $6-7.00 for an adult buffet,it makes it quite hard to want to go there and pay such high prices that they are now.It seems like to me,around '08 when the housing crunch hit and this "so-called" bad economy started,that EVERYONE and I mean,EVERYONE,has raised prices on everything! From gas to groceries to going anywhere and doing anything!Personally,I'm sick of it,but what can I do?NOTHING!I know I either have to pay the price or don't go,but I don't have to like it,and I don't.GREED I say,nothing but GREED!
    So will we ever eat at Trails End again?If the prices don't come down to a better price than what it is nowdays,we probably won't eat there again.Sad thing is,I hate that,that is more than likely my choice that I have to make.I'm not rich,well-off,or nothing like that.I DID make really good money before '08 when I was laid off from my job,due to what I mentioned above.We were able to go to WDW every year since 1998.We finished 10 yrs in a row in '07,not knowing that it would be our last trip until who knows when? We stayed on property every year and had great times.My girls grew up going to WDW from ages 4 and 7 to 14 and 17.But now,with the "barely making it income" coming in,we can't afford to go at all.But I do believe in my heart that we will be able to go again,and maybe even eat at Trails End.I sure hope so.
    We really miss it terribly and I know that yall,my Disney brothers and sisters understand when one of the family has it hard for a period of time.I do ask all of yall,that yall would keep me,Park Hopper Dad and my family in your prayers,and ask our good Lord to bless us again with a much better income so we can go back to WDW with yall,my Disney brothers and sisters again.
    I am sorry for venting out here,but it really does hurt for us,because I grew up with Walt Disney on tv and such,and my daughters have grown to love WDW as I do,and we hold Disney and WDW very dear to our hearts.We are a part of all of yall,the Disney family of those that love being there.
    We do understand the saying which says,"For those that get it,no explanation is needed,for those that don't,no explanation will do".
    And we definitely "get it".
    Park Hopper Dad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast