Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Dining Discuss WDW: A Food Review in the Vacation Planning forums; So we just got back from WDW EARLY Saturday morning. We had a blast as usual even with the higher than expected crowds. One thing that I wanted to do ...
    ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

WDW: A Food Review

So we just got back from WDW EARLY Saturday morning. We had a blast as usual even with the higher than expected crowds. One thing that I wanted to do on the trip was try some restaurants that we haven’t been to in a long time and some of the new ones that have opened since our trip last year. So here are my reviews of where we ate on this our trip.

Saturday Oct 2

Magic Kingdom

Crystal Palace – We have eaten here quite a lot over the years and the food is always good. Probably not the best buffet on property but it is good and our server was awesome. He has been a CM for 20 years now (he gets his pin next month) with 15 of that working at Crystal Palace. He is what made that lunch perfect. Unfortunately I can’t remember his name right now, but I will add it in when I find the receipt.

Casey’s Corner – We had never been here before and I don’t understand why. The hotdogs were really good as far as hot dogs go. My girls had nachos and they were pretty good too. They made for a good meal before watching the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Sunday Oct 3

Polynesian Resort

O’Hana breakfast – As breakfast foods go, it was as expected. The best part was the sausage. The eggs were obviously reconstituted and the bacon was undercooked for my taste. The character interaction was fun and having Mickey and Pluto there was great. I could do without Lilo and Stitch though (didn’t really like the movie.)

All Star Music Café – We grabbed lunch here so that we didn’t have to take time out of the MNSSHP for dinner. This was a wise decision. The Chicken Alfredo was good and the burgers were decent. We also had breakfast sandwiches from here a couple of mornings. They were really good.

Monday Oct 4

Downtown Disney

Earl of Sandwich – The line was incredibly long but moved really fast. We really like the sandwiches there and will make a point of going there if we are in DTD around lunch. Very yummy and surprisingly on the Disney Dining Plan

Boatwright’s – YUMMY!!! I will definitely go here again. I had the jambalya and my wife and kids had the tenderloin medalions. All were excellent. My only disappointment is that Yeehaa Bob wasn’t playing that night.

Tuesday Oct 5

Epcot

Via Napoli – OMG!!! This was my favorite meal of the trip. We had lunch there and all got pizza. I had the quattro fromiaggio pizza and have to say that it was by far, the best pizza I have ever had. And I know pizza. I’ve had pizza in NY; I’ve had pizza in Chicago. Neither compared to the pizza at Via Napoli. My wife had the prosciutto and cantelope pizza. I was surprised at how good it was. Not something I would order, but it was good none the less. Also, on Lou’s suggestion, we tried the risotto balls appetizer. Those were incredible. And the fried ricotta dessert is to die for.

Wednesday Oct 6

Animal Kingdom

Yak & Yeti counter service – This is a great restaurant. We tried the orange beef and honey chicken and, while both were really good, would recommend the chicken to anyone. The only thing they need to change is the desserts to include more Asian inspired fare instead of the chocolate cake and frozen lemonade that they have.

Wilderness Lodge

Whispering Canyon – We LOVE this place. Our server this time was Bob and he was excellent (well he’s in the top 10 if you ask him) and he made us feel at home. The food was delicious as always. We were celebrating my Mom’s new kidney (she had a transplant 6 weeks ago and couldn’t make the trip that she helped plan) so we were all wearing the “I’m Celebrating” buttons with “my Mom’s/Nana’s/M-I-L’s new kidney” on them. When Bob found out what they said, he told my sister to call her and then took the phone away. He went to the middle of the dining room and holding the phone out, told everyone what was going on. He then told them all to say, “Hi Ma! Wish you were here!” Then he told her that he would be there waiting for her when we make our trip next year. My Mom cried of course, as did most of the 14 people in our party. It was a great piece of Disney Magic.

Thursday Oct 7

Hollywood Studios

Hollywood and Vine lunch – When we changed our plans and decided to go to DHS on Thursday to see Fantasmic! we had to scramble to find a sit down eatery. But since DHS was so crowded, we had to settle on the Playhouse Disney lunch at Hollywood and Vine. While the characters were geared for a younger audience than my 8 and 10 y.o. girls, the food was great. I highly recommend the asiago cheese chicken! It was really good and I’m disappointed I didn’t ask for the recipe. The lemon – blueberry mousse thing was great also.

Friday Oct 8

Grand Floridian Resort

Grand Floridian Café – I was pleasantly surprised by the GF Café. My wife and daughters had the eggs benedict but I had to venture out a little. I had the lobster eggs benedict. It was really good. Who knew that lobster bread pudding covered with more lobster, a poached egg and hollandaise sauce could be so good. We will have a hard time choosing next year between the GF Café and Kona Café.

All in all it was a great trip with a lot of great food. I know I didn’t lose any weight given all the great food that we ate! Time to get back on the bike and work off those pounds!!!
    Last edited by ToddBreakey; 10-11-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: WDW: A Food Review

Great report. Love hearing about the food.

I am suprised about Yak & Yeti. Their dessert menu was small from grand opening when we were there but the WonTons were so very good.

Grand opening menu

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

I think that is the table service menu right? We didn't go there, we only went to the counter service side of the restaurant. We already had ADRs for Whispering Canyon that day so we didn't want to use another table service entitlement at AK.

I do want to try it sometime though. The Mango Pie and Fried Wontons sound good!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

very nice report on your dinning.. and i really think what they did for you mom is totally awesome
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Great report, glad you had a great trip and excellent dining. P&PD to your Mom.

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks. Been meaning to try Hollywood and Vine. Now I definitely will.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.